Man Arrested After Hooking Up With 13-Year-Old RuneScape Bride

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Well besides me officially not caring anymore about the neverchanging stupidity of people. Well, a messed up guy and a messed up teen got messy. Not the first time in history not the last. No news in this topic.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
And to think, today Jagex has only just implimented a toggable censor with the latest quest...with a schism like this close to somthing like that, i wouldn't be surprised if there isnt more complaints. :O

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
MasterOfWorlds said:
So...who wants to make bets about how long he'll last in prison? XD
If what I've been told is true, he's already being traded around for cigarettes.

Thorvan said:
To be fair, it was both of their fault, kinda; she clearly consented to it to some extent. People on the internet are sometimes idiots. Sometimes they get punished.
Wrong. The whole point of statutory rape laws is because a 13-year-old is not mature enough to fully understand the ramifications of, or precautions needed for sex. I personally know 3 completely different girls that very age who got pregnant (one through relation, the others through friends) because they just jumped right into it without taking proper measures to prevent that kind of thing.

Simply put, whether or not the girl consented is completely beside the point. Meanwhile, at 54-years-old, he knew he was doing something wrong; the fact that he lead the authorities on a massive chase proves this. I'm willing to extend a small shred of sympathy to Mr. Phillips, because I can understand how massively lonely he had to have been that he felt the need to solicit a minor. However, the way he handled his loneliness crossed any line of decency.

Catreina

Feb 10, 2011
So, heres the thing about John Phillips:

Used to own multiple apartment buildings in Fitchburg, which could be labelled easily as "slums" and him as a "Slum Lord".

Used to own a gaming store called "The Magic Guild" in Leominster and then Fitchburg where he sold Dungeons and Dragons equipment, Magic: The Gathering (and other card games), and had many young children (10-18) in the store consistently.

Has a 17 year old son (or thereabouts) and is divorced (twice IIRC).

Is -not- a stupid man, but obviously has some really screwed up priorities now - I mean, if his only means of income is now his Magic card sales, when he does not own a store or the apartment buildings any longer, -SOMETHING- changed in his life.... not that he was a nice guy to begin with.

And as far as I know, a child rapist of any kind does not find safety in a jail or prison - they are considered scum by the scum, and treated as such. I hope he gets what he deserves, and I hope to God that girl gets the help she needs.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
It is so nice to have a pedo story on the escapist where there are no grey areas that I have to defend and then get flamed for. So for this one for once there is no excuse it was wrong and the guy is off to jail. Yay.

Though I am disappointed in other forum goers here who have not taken this opportunity to 'call a spade a spade' so to speak and are trying to defend the indefensible. I don't even care if the sex was the 13 year old's idea, each time, that is still no defence. In this case for once the guy is a proper sex offender in all meanings of the term and deserves everything that is coming...

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
I'm not shocked about the whole hooking up online thing (that's still f'ing gross I mean really), I'm shocked someone still plays runescape I'm not making an ironic joke i'm really shocked

Kyoufuu

Mar 12, 2009
adragonofgold said:
How about the really important questions.... What classes and races were they? What levels were they?
Please tell me you aren't a RS hater. Because if you are, you're one of those people who hate something while having no idea what it's about, and RS already has way too many of those. The only playable race in RS is human (or, if you believe speculation, Mahjarrat), and there are no classes, you're free to do anything and everything on the one character. Which you would know if you had ever seen someone play it for 5 seconds (at least the race-class bit).

And seriously, escapists. People do play RuneScape. The only MMO with more active players is WoW.

Kyoufuu

Mar 12, 2009
Elvaril said:
I seem to remember reading that Jagex had a rule against ingame relationships. Obviously it is just one of those rules to protect themselves from lawsuits for just such an occasion as this, but still.
Ah well. I still enjoy the game for some strange reason, but that's probably because I am a casual mmorpg player and can't afford any of the more expensive games (woot being college poor). Plus I met my best friend because of RS, so it has a special place for me.
Actually, the rule is against asking for personal information. See why? (In-game relationships are fine, they even have books that you can read from to do marriage ceremonies. Just for RP purposes.)

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
Kyoufuu said:
Elvaril said:
I seem to remember reading that Jagex had a rule against ingame relationships. Obviously it is just one of those rules to protect themselves from lawsuits for just such an occasion as this, but still.
Ah well. I still enjoy the game for some strange reason, but that's probably because I am a casual mmorpg player and can't afford any of the more expensive games (woot being college poor). Plus I met my best friend because of RS, so it has a special place for me.
Actually, the rule is against asking for personal information. See why? (In-game relationships are fine, they even have books that you can read from to do marriage ceremonies. Just for RP purposes.)
I know about the rule regarding asking for personal information; I just seemed to remember reading about another rule against ingame relationships. My memory may be making things up though.

LastDarkness

Jul 9, 2010
Its things like this that make me belive more and more everyday that the world has gone insane. Sure they are burning him at the stake ala a witch hunt but a equal share of the blame falls squarely on the parents of the girl and the girl herself. Its also her parents fault for not properly watching and educating their children and its also the girls fault for allowing the situation in the first place. 13 is not so young a age when you cant deicide whats something you want done to you or not especialy when you live in this soceity where all she had to do was inform someone about unwanted advances and that would have been that.

IseeSark

Apr 25, 2011
I think they should posted his in game name!

About marrage in the game the god books have vows in them but its supposedly for role playing not perversion.

Sep 30, 2010
danpascooch said:
MasterOfWorlds said:
So...who wants to make bets about how long he'll last in prison? XD
But, if they hurt him, they won't get his Magic: The Gathering salesman services.

Everyone knows prisoners look out for their Magic: The Gathering salesman, that shit is IMPORTANT in prison.
Yeah I mean maybe he can get them a Hammer of Bogardan so that they can carve a chess set. Maybe even carve a White Knight.
(If you haven't seen the shawshank redemption go watch it RIGHT NOW)