Man Arrested For Trying to Split the Atom at Home

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
By the way the police "barged" in the Swedish way not the American... So more of "hey 'scuse us but you called and we want to look around... may we come in.." ;-)
And well it has been done before, though not in Sweden probably because it actually been "not to legal" to research (in other words study and science in school) in nuclear power in Sweden (yes really) for about 20 or so years (not sure exact..)

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Not G. Ivingname said:
... I am baffled wondering if this guy was a genius or a moron.
I must also concur. He seems the very image of the baffled, absent-minded scientist, diligently working on his experiments but inept at everything else.

Still, considering he turned himself in can we not be too hard on the guy?

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
I must also concur. He seems the very image of the baffled, absent-minded scientist, diligently working on his experiments but inept at everything else.

"Turned himself in" looks more like he contacted the radiation authorities just to be sure he didn't fuck up his newly bought kitchen.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
According to reports, when arested the man stated in a loud voice "You'll pay for this, you'll all pay. No one understands my genius. Mwahahaha, mwahaha."

I'm just wondering if this is Sheldon's long lost father/uncle?

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

One of my favorites quotes is form Tomorrow Never Dies
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
This guy sound awesome. I've always waned to build a small nuclear reactor, but it's hard to find materials.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Only two years? Sweden is light on atomic crime. Being caught with fissionable materials in the US would net you a much longer stay in a Fed facility.
orangeapples said:
it was only 1 atom. no one would miss it...
Would anybody miss the one town it would take with it?
I don't think splitting one atom = nuclear explosion.

I think splitting the atoms in a chunk of unstable uranium = nuclear explosion.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Okay, who else here that visits That Guy with the Glasses wants to see Nash do this story now asides me?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
This is one of those cases where the criminal needs to be hired because if he can do it at home without a proper multi-million dollar lab who knows what else he can do?

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
And thus the basis of this entire thread is laid bare.

OT: Seriously, way to go guy, six more months and I presume he would have made a giant robot to be powered by his mini-reactor.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
It sounds like a distant relative of Dr. Strangelove to me. I would love to meet this guy!

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
I heard he was in mid battle with a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action when they caught him. Well that or I've been watching too much Disney Channel

Davichu

Sep 28, 2010
lacktheknack said:
samsonguy920 said:
Only two years? Sweden is light on atomic crime. Being caught with fissionable materials in the US would net you a much longer stay in a Fed facility.
orangeapples said:
it was only 1 atom. no one would miss it...
Would anybody miss the one town it would take with it?
I don't think splitting one atom = nuclear explosion.

I think splitting the atoms in a chunk of unstable uranium = nuclear explosion.
I have to agree, the explosion wouldn't be that big with one atom, maybe part of his street, the residual effects could be more troublesome though.
The Chernobyl problem was a two-stage explosion that only blew up the plant, and that was a fair bit of unstable uranium, but the residue went across half the planet.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Wait, that's illegal? *goes to clear the kitchen*

Would be amusing if they let him go and he'll split it.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
jVictor said:
Everyone knows that nuclear physics is a gateway mad science. If they didn't stop him, he'd eventually move on to cloning, super-serums, doomsday devices, and trying to kill Superman.
Don't tell everyone! I don't need more competition.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Sweden is really piling in the weirdness this week...

First we have news about the Millenium Falcon at the bottom of the ocean, now a guy building a nuclear reactor in his kitchen.

I'm waiting to see what comes out next :D