Man Arrested For Trying to Split the Atom at Home

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
br1dg3 said:
lacktheknack said:
samsonguy920 said:
Only two years? Sweden is light on atomic crime. Being caught with fissionable materials in the US would net you a much longer stay in a Fed facility.
orangeapples said:
it was only 1 atom. no one would miss it...
Would anybody miss the one town it would take with it?
I don't think splitting one atom = nuclear explosion.

I think splitting the atoms in a chunk of unstable uranium = nuclear explosion.
I have to agree, the explosion wouldn't be that big with one atom, maybe part of his street, the residual effects could be more troublesome though.
The Chernobyl problem was a two-stage explosion that only blew up the plant, and that was a fair bit of unstable uranium, but the residue went across half the planet.
If, by "a part of his street" you mean the part that is less than a nano-metre across, then you'd be right. But I also suspect that no-one would even notice.

An atom is essentually nothing, it couldn't destroy anything. Hell, a few grams of uranium, which would be billions upon billions of atoms, couldn't cause an explosion.

Nuclear explosions are extremely hard to achieve, even harder than meltdowns (which aren't the same thing) and those are pretty hard in themselves. The chance of this guy doing any damage to anyone was remote, especially as he wasn't intending to hurt anyone.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Well, all the "genius and insanity" quips have been made... and the "slippery slope to dreams of world domination" predictions...

I just kinda want to know if it would have worked.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
DazBurger said:
br1dg3 said:
lacktheknack said:
samsonguy920 said:
Only two years? Sweden is light on atomic crime. Being caught with fissionable materials in the US would net you a much longer stay in a Fed facility.
orangeapples said:

I have to agree, the explosion wouldn't be that big with one atom, maybe part of his street, the residual effects could be more troublesome though.
The Chernobyl problem was a two-stage explosion that only blew up the plant, and that was a fair bit of unstable uranium, but the residue went across half the planet.
You know... The first many many times that the Atom was splitted, it was by a jewish-german women, who diden't even knew that she had actually managed to split the atom before several months later she did it.
And that weren't just single atoms she was handling.
No explosions of any kind, she just discovered that she now had two different elements and a minor loss of mass, which had been converted into energy.
Some of you could do with at least some minimal research.

You can't get an explosion just by splitting an atom...

For an explosion to happen you need a sufficient quantity of fissionable material to create an uncontrolled chain reaction. (if it's a controlled reaction you have a nuclear power plant instead of a bomb.)

OK, so a fusion bomb would work differently, but a fusion reaction requires so much energy to start that you have to use a fission bomb as a primer...

The key point about a nuclear bomb is that to create an uncontrolled chain reaction (and thus, an explosion), you need a large enough mass of material. If you don't have enough, the reaction just fizzles out and stops all by itself.

And that minimum mass is measured in kilos, not atoms (or even grams).

Sufficient material for something to blow up in the sense that an atom bomb does is quite a lot of material. (and as a result, the safest way to transport a nuclear warhead is split into several smaller parts.)

If you have enough material to run a nuclear power plant though, you also are pretty close to enough material to create a bomb. - Hence why nuclear reactors are potentially explosive.

But all of that is somewhat irrelevant when the real and much bigger risk of working with nuclear material is radioactivity.

A person in England tried to build a reactor in their garden shed using material taken out of smoke detectors...
But, being rather careless with it, and not owning any radiation detection equipment, he didn't shield his stash of material, or his improvised reactor very well.

As a result, he came very close to killing himself, and killing or seriously harming everyone living nearby, not by the risk of anything blowing up, but by the far more insidious risk of radiation poisoning. (Which, amongst other things eventually killed Marie Curie, one of the early researchers working with radioactive materials.)

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I would blow my apartment the fuck up anyway, no need to call the authorities.

What was he thinking in that decision to begin with?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
sigh...genius is always misunderstood

loll yeah that sounds awesome BUT...I wouldn't want to be his neighbor

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
well it is better than what he could be doing out on the streets loitering and making the place look untidy.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Silly Sweds,

When will they learn, it not about fission in the kitchen, it's about fusion in the [a href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1136022/Dont-panic-Mum-Ive-built-nuclear-reactor-bedroom.html" target="new"]bedroom[/a].

Davichu

Sep 28, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
DazBurger said:
br1dg3 said:
lacktheknack said:
samsonguy920 said:
orangeapples said:

You know... The first many many times that the Atom was splitted, it was by a jewish-german women, who diden't even knew that she had actually managed to split the atom before several months later she did it.
No explosions of any kind, she just discovered that she now had two different elements and a minor loss of mass, which had been converted into energy.

For an explosion to happen you need a sufficient quantity of fissionable material to create an uncontrolled chain reaction. (if it's a controlled reaction you have a nuclear power plant instead of a bomb.)

OK, so a fusion bomb would work differently, but a fusion reaction requires so much energy to start that you have to use a fission bomb as a primer...

The key point about a nuclear bomb is that to create an uncontrolled chain reaction (and thus, an explosion), you need a large enough mass of material. If you don't have enough, the reaction just fizzles out and stops all by itself.

Sufficient material for something to blow up in the sense that an atom bomb does is quite a lot of material. (and as a result, the safest way to transport a nuclear warhead is split into several smaller parts.)

If you have enough material to run a nuclear power plant though, you also are pretty close to enough material to create a bomb. - Hence why nuclear reactors are potentially explosive.

But all of that is somewhat irrelevant when the real and much bigger risk of working with nuclear material is radioactivity.

A person in England tried to build a reactor in their garden shed using material taken out of smoke detectors...
But, being rather careless with it, and not owning any radiation detection equipment, he didn't shield his stash of material, or his improvised reactor very well.

As a result, he came very close to killing himself, and killing or seriously harming everyone living nearby, not by the risk of anything blowing up, but by the far more insidious risk of radiation poisoning. (Which, amongst other things eventually killed Marie Curie, one of the early researchers working with radioactive materials.)
oh in that case it's safer than houses we should all have mini reactors in our houses and use the waste uranium for lava lamps

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009

Okuu is not amused.

Listen to them try and explain that real quick.
"Why'd you arrest that man?"
"Oh, he was trying to split an atom in his kitchen."
"Oh...." Que awkward silence.

Apmclaughlin

Jul 22, 2011
to those who think it is hard to get radioactive material... just search ebay for uranium and bask in the glory of science

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
br1dg3 said:
CrystalShadow said:
DazBurger said:
br1dg3 said:
lacktheknack said:
samsonguy920 said:
orangeapples said:

oh in that case it's safer than houses we should all have mini reactors in our houses and use the waste uranium for lava lamps
Lol. Well, if you're OK with everyone having cancer and dying before they're 20... Sure why not. :D

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
You're 100% right. In order to get an explosion the amount of Uranium you need is absolutely ridiculous. For some reason 25 kg comes to mind for the absolute minimum required to create the uncontrolled chain reaction, and that's 99% pure U-235. U-235 is a massive pain in the ass to get away from it's more common isotope U-238. If I recall correctly, you need a couple tons of U-238 to get enough U-235 to make a bomb.

You need less to accomplish the same thing with Plutonium, but Plutonium is harder to get.

The article didn't specify which he used or how much, which I would be curious to see.

Just a little afterthought, he probably should have called to make sure everything was okay before he started. I feel like knowing people's reactions when they hear the word "nuclear" that it should be common sense. Oh well.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
FalloutJack said:
There is only one proper reaction to this.

[HEADING=1]GREAT SCOTT!![/HEADING]
"I'm sure that in 1985 plutonium is available in every corner drugstore..."

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
... I am baffled wondering if this guy was a genius or a moron.
i think he's like a moron savant, and the savant genius level is negatively correlated to the idiocy.
so he's stupid enough to call the authorities, nice enough to warn them though, and smart enough to make a possibly working reactor.
did they test it?