Man Attaches Cyborg Camera Implant to His Skull

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
This is cultural idiocy at it's best. We live in a time where some attention hungry kid who likes to stir up controversy will implant a camera into his skull, expecting everyone to take him at face value as an artist, or making some kind of cultural difference. I'm sorry, that is not art. It's an insult to true art around the world, just as most types of "Modern Art".

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
"I don't like this guys idea, he must be some sort of asshole."
I've come to expect that kind of statement from forum members but I'm surprised how many articles read like that. Escapist, you used to be good.

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
"He could have just worn a helmet cam, but that'd be too obvious to bystanders and wouldn't work for the premise of the project, it seems."
as opposed to the super covert lump of metal with fucking cable attached he's got stuck back there now?
when artists do something for no other reason than to 'comment on' something they really do seem to come out with a load of fucking bullshit.

also thats not a goddamn cyborg camera anymore that a watch is a cyborg clock or a calculator i taped to my arm is a cyborg calculator. if say he had a device wired into his brain that could record images from his eyes or even just a camera wired to a nerve so it would take a picture when he experience a particular stimulus that would make him/it a cyborg because there would be some functional interaction between the cybernetic and the organic (that being where the name cyborg originates).

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
To comment with the words of a very great man, this sounds "pants on head retarded." To me it just seems creepy. I couldn't stop cringing while looking at the photo. I mean has a camera installed in his head! I cringe at the very thought of needles from from shots and having my blood taken so this just sounds....ugh *passes out*

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Maybe someone's pointed this out already, but he didn't actually implant the camera; the implant is a mount for the camera. I'm sure he can take the actual camera off whenever he wants, but the mount? Yeah, that's stuck there. I suppose he could put other things back there if he wanted. A turn signal? A TV for people behind him on the bus? Come to think of it he should just attach all kinds of stuff to it and document that. the camera idea is only okay (nothing you couldn't do better with a ThinkGeek [http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/e60c/] tshirt), but public reaction to other attachments might at least make for good entertainment, if not good art.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
I don't really think it should be called "cybernetic", when in practice just duct taping it to the head would do the same thing.

I wanted to read about a camera hardwired directly to the brain. I was disappointed.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Someone should have told him he could have gotten the same thing accomplished this a hat mounted camera.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
All this technological advancement, and yet vending machines still dispense orange soda after pressing the lemon-lime button.

Icarus has found you.

Ethylene Glycol

Sep 21, 2010
Everyone saying this is "pointless" has no idea what art is.

Art itself is pointless. Art is made for the sake of making art. Pseudointellectuals may blather on and on about "social commentary" or "hidden messages", but real artists don't think about any of that crap before they start.

I'm not saying this is great art. Quite frankly, I think it's pretentious and falls very far short of greatness. The very fact that he had some "message" in mind beyond "hey this seems like a pretty cool idea" when he started certainly doesn't help his credibility in my mind either. But it wouldn't be news if he weren't the first person to do it, and to do something new simply for the sake of doing something new is what drives an artist.

I'm not expecting any of you to change your minds, though--they don't teach this kind of thinking in school. It only gets in the way of believing everything someone in authority tells you.

Michael O said:
All this technological advancement, and yet vending machines still dispense orange soda after pressing the lemon-lime button.
Vending machines are stocked by humans. No amount of technological advancement can stop people from being dumb. :/

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
The benefit of photography and most art is that you can take the picture or draw the image that you want at the time that you want. This guy's asking for trouble ... especially if it's being beamed to wherever without him being able to stop it ... once a minute for a year ...525600 files, the cam didn't look too HD so we'll round it to 1.5 mb give or take. 657 gb of data if the cam is any decent.

THINK OF THE DATA CHARGES YOU CRAZY MAN.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Ethylene Glycol said:
But it wouldn't be news if he weren't the first person to do it, and to do something new simply for the sake of doing something new is what drives an artist.

I'm not expecting any of you to change your minds, though--they don't teach this kind of thinking in school. It only gets in the way of believing everything someone in authority tells you.
You're right about a handful of artists, but some of us just want to create something that you don't USUALLY see. If you're that type of hipster artist who must do something no one has done, well I truly pity those people. (reminds me of http://hipsterhitler.com/) The worst is the overly elaborate machines that create a scribble on a page. Even worse than that though would to have it be titled "Untitled" ... f*ck that is annoying.

I hope the best of human art isn't here yet ... I mean if you're using Duchamp's readymade of a urinal as art, then I'd hope we're not at that point.

I will be surprised if a cyborg's backward-facing camera eye will make any difference in the art world. Also, notice how he needed to use 'I' instead of 'Eye'? ... I bet he has nothing but apple products surrounding him at all times.

I laugh at the foolish iSlave.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Anton P. Nym said:
*gagging noises*

What an amazingly stupid waste. This isn't going to advance machine/machine-assisted vision at all; this is just a tarted-up webcam hooked up to a 4G digital modem, and could easily have been done without surgical invention by someone with more imagination. The guy's just a really extreme version of a 'cam-whore.

Count me out of the gallery opening, thank you.

-- Steve
Because clearly, surgically attaching a camera to the back of your head is cheaper, easier, and more practical, than carrying around a camera, a watch, and alot of extra film, and taking a picture every minute.
Sacrificing his time to take a good picture every minute for the sake of art? UNACCEPTABLE.
Sacrificing his body and alot of time to take really shitty pictures every minute for the sake of art? LETS DO IT!

wammnebu said:
KeyMaster45 said:
I just smile and nod when they show me a canvas that looks like it was left in a pre-school classroom during finger-painting hour and tell me its some angsty statement on the human condition.
THANK YOU for saying that, do you know how many times ive felt that and they say you just dont comprehend art, they dont comprehend shapes! art seems to mean now the act of seeing what you can get away with selling as prestigious.
I still contend that I can shit on a canvas and make better "art"

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Torrasque said:
I still contend that I can shit on a canvas and make better "art"
not true, shit on a canvas is just expensive toilet paper, BUT shit on a canvas with a crucifix, an american flag, or a family youll be accepted to the guggenheim

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
So now I guess he really does have eyes in the back of his head...

and by eyes I mean a camera :)