Man dies protesting helmet law

cystemic

Jan 14, 2009
even the stig wears a helmet, who the hell does he think he is? do you think they're made to make your head look bigger?

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
solidsnake101023 said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43624650/ns/us_news-life/?gt1=43001

Apparently he fell off his motorcycle and died when he struck his head. Having a helmet on would have saved his life. Share your thoughts
Natural Selection.

To be honest I nave r understood those people who don't want to use seat belts or helmets. The law is there to protect you, so why protest that?

And if you do, you should know that there is a high risk of dying, and that is sad :(

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Travuersa said:
It's sad. I hope his death will teach other anti-helmet activist the true cost of abstaining.
Dude, my state of New York is the biggest fucking nanny state in the U.S. It sucks. Can't even smoke on a train platform, over tax us for cola, the only legal weapon your allowed to carry is pepper spray, amongst other things.

Fuck the laws, helmets shouldn't be mandatory.
Are you really complaining that you can't smoke (read: annoy and potentially harm others) in a public area packed with people?
That one can not smoke, OUT IN THE OPEN AIR.

I'm not even a smoker but all these laws make me feel like 1984
I don't see how the fact that it is "OUT IN THE OPEN AIR" makes any difference.
That a person has a right to choose what enters their body so long as it's not harming anyone else, thusly it being out in the air limits 2nd hand smoke intake. Duh.
It still smells like crap regardless of whether or not it is harmful when diluted.
then you take 5 steps away. Dude I can understand the laws against smoking indoors, in bars (even that killed the bar economy), taxing the hell out of cigs the way New York does but their getting ridiculous. I feel like any moment Bloomberg is going to declare we have to live in plastic bubbles.
And then you bump into another person who is smoking! Seriously though, how big are these train stations? I have never seen one in the media that would be big enough to simply move away from the smoker without causing yourself too much inconvenience.

Rabish Bini said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Travuersa said:
It's sad. I hope his death will teach other anti-helmet activist the true cost of abstaining.
Dude, my state of New York is the biggest fucking nanny state in the U.S. It sucks. Can't even smoke on a train platform, over tax us for cola, the only legal weapon your allowed to carry is pepper spray, amongst other things.

Are you really complaining that you can't smoke (read: annoy and potentially harm others) in a public area packed with people?

That a person has a right to choose what enters their body so long as it's not harming anyone else, thusly it being out in the air limits 2nd hand smoke intake. Duh.
It still smells like crap regardless of whether or not it is harmful when diluted.
So we should ban it because it smells like crap?

Interesting idea, shall farts be banned too?
I hope I don't honestly have to explain to you why that is a terrible comparison. Smoking is a choice while farting for the most part is not.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Snowy Rainbow said:
For one, less intelligent people can be a great deal more human than the latter and would therefore have more intrinsic worth. But that's just me.
Indeed it is.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
OptimusPrime33 said:
What's wrong with that you fascist?
Nothing against you, just brought up Godwin's Law :p

OT: The irony made ma laugh, even if this is somewhat tragic,; if it wasn't him, it was bound to be someone else

elbrandino

Dec 8, 2010
I'm tempted to laugh, but I really shouldn't. That guy was incredibly stupid. And life is hilariously ironic.

gring

Sep 14, 2010
I love the first comment in the link there:

"Hmmm. A preventable brain injury.
Pavement 1, skull 0"

As well as the 2nd:

"Great Candidate for the Darwin Award.....what a numbskull..."

Although the pun was pretty lame. But seriously, no. sympathy. at. all.

What an idiot... guess something can be learned from this, and I really shouldn't have to say what that lesson actually is.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
I support it not being law to wear a helmet, we are able to remove the stupid ones from the gene pool faster.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Travuersa said:

then you take 5 steps away. Dude I can understand the laws against smoking indoors, in bars (even that killed the bar economy), taxing the hell out of cigs the way New York does but their getting ridiculous. I feel like any moment Bloomberg is going to declare we have to live in plastic bubbles.
And then you bump into another person who is smoking! Seriously though, how big are these train stations? I have never seen one in the media that would be big enough to simply move away from the smoker without causing yourself too much inconvenience.

Rabish Bini said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Travuersa said:

I hope I don't honestly have to explain to you why that is a terrible comparison. Smoking is a choice while farting for the most part is not.
Oh please, you can hold in a fart so easily. There are so many other things that smell, should we ban them all too.

And there are many train platforms big enough to simply move away from a smoker, I have no idea about the stations where you live however.

CaptainHook69

Nov 6, 2010
Thaius said:
He was stupid; purposefully riding without a helmet was pretty dumb. But I actually agree with him. The problem with both the helmet and seat belt laws is that the only person at risk is the one not wearing one of the aforementioned equipment. American government is intended to allow freedom, essentially meaning that you can do whatever idiotic thing you want as long as it's not going to hurt someone else, which is why things like murder and theft are illegal but licking a spark plug is not. Laws are not supposed to keep us safe from ourselves, they're supposed to keep us safe from others and others safe from us.

Issue being, sometimes we forget to put on a seatbelt. Or perhaps we lost our helmet. And we end up needing to pay a ticket because we had the audacity to put ourselves, and no one else, at risk, probably just because of forgetfulness or something. I don't see that as in line with the constitution or generally okay on principle for a country that was formed specifically with freedom in mind.
Yea that is all well and good but what happens when you ARE in a crash? You die and the other person will likely be charged with manslaughter.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Rabish Bini said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Travuersa said:

Rabish Bini said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bags159 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Travuersa said:

Oh please, you can hold in a fart so easily. There are so many other things that smell, should we ban them all too.

And there are many train platforms big enough to simply move away from a smoker, I have no idea about the stations where you live however.
I don't know of any train stations near Columbus, Ohio.

This is an anecdote of course, but I have never smelled a fart in public. However, I smell cigarette smoke on a daily basis during the school year; smoke that not only smells unpleasant but is also potentially dangerous.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Digital_Hero said:
If this was something with bicycles then id just say protest away, but motorcycles?
Agreed. When so many of the busier places have bicycle lanes, wearing a helmet on a bicycle should be optional. I'd highly recommend it (wearing that is), but I don't think someone deserves to be punished for not wearing a helmet, a device which is purely self-protective. I mean, humans tend to be highly self-conscious creatures (what with us being social animals) so having legally mandated helmets will decrease the number of cyclists, which increases the users of alternate transport measures (cars) for distances beyond walking practicality, which increases the percentage of people getting little to no exercise. I think when our roads are adaptable to cyclists without putting them at risk, then promoting a healthy life-style with reduced carbon emissions is a good thing.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Blitzwing said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
He's a fucking idiot. I'm sorry but, if you ride a motorcycle, or any other 2-4 wheeled vehicle, and are not wearing a helmet and you fall, I don't feel sorry for you because I believe you are a total imbecile.
You judge worth of life based on intelligence? Perhaps you should rethink your comment, because as it reads now, anyone who happens to be retarded is off your love list.

Friendshipandmagic said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
He's a fucking idiot. I'm sorry but, if you ride a motorcycle, or any other 2-4 wheeled vehicle, and are not wearing a helmet and you fall, I don't feel sorry for you because I believe you are a total imbecile.
I agree, glad to see another one removed from the gene pool.
Really? Hm. I'd prefer cold, callous people that hide behind computers and make insensitive remarks be removed from the gene pool. For one, less intelligent people can be a great deal more human than the latter and would therefore have more intrinsic worth. But that's just me.
Defending myself: No, I SHOULDN'T rethink my comment, ever heard of Natural Selection?
Natural selection doesn?t actually mean survival of the fittest nor does it mean survival of the smartest.
WAT
It does. It means that an organism most fitted to survive in its environment will be more likely to survive to pass on its genes. An intelligent organism would take safety measures to prevent injury. In other words, he participated in a dangerous activity without taking precautions. Natural Selection, he failed it.

Feb 14, 2008
It reminds me of a Nascar driver who was against some neck protection device.
He died in a way that very same neck protector could have prevented.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Ironic.

Although as it cost him only his own life - which anyone should have full right to risk or consciously take anyway - then it's hardly an argument for criminalizing not wearing a helmet[footnote]At least in systems with no free health care.[/footnote]; Only one for how foolish it is not to do so.