Man dies protesting helmet law

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Given the total lack of any sort of context in the actual article, it's a little difficult to say whether a helmet would have actually helped or not. The police will always say that anyone who died without a helmet "would have probably lived" with one.

25 MPH is enough to throw a human body through a brick wall. A helmet wouldn't really do anything but *maybe* keep your face presentable for the funeral at, say, 60 mph.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
OptimusPrime33 said:
He's a fucking idiot. I'm sorry but, if you ride a motorcycle, or any other 2-4 wheeled vehicle, and are not wearing a helmet and you fall, I don't feel sorry for you because I believe you are a total imbecile.
So much this. The irony COULD NOT BE GREATER.

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
OptimusPrime33 said:
He's a fucking idiot. I'm sorry but, if you ride a motorcycle, or any other 2-4 wheeled vehicle, and are not wearing a helmet and you fall, I don't feel sorry for you because I believe you are a total imbecile.
Even when I'm driving my car?

dcdude171

Oct 16, 2009
well personally i dont believe it should be a law , just like i dont think wearing a seatbelt should be a law , if you are a retard thats your probly , you shouldnt be baby sat by the govt

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
A time's like this i feel the world should have an irony parade, so that when things like this happen they just set up camp around that area.
It would take a lot of organizing, but i beleive it would be worth it.
Anyway, this is terrible, but also brilliant at the same time, it seriously brings home a rather sharp, albeit gravelly point home.
(to wear helmets, if you're a bit slow)

SirDoom

Sep 8, 2009
I fail to see the problem here. The man chose not to wear a helmet, and as a result he died. Tragic, yes. But it was his choice, which is what he advocated.

Not wearing a helmet is not a crime, as there is no victim. If you go flying off a motorcycle at 50+ mile per hour, you're pretty much dead either way. The only difference is that instead of scraping chunks of your brain off the pavement, they'll have to scoop them out of your helmet. Plus, if you go flying and kill someone else, a helmet would not prevent that death. So, the only person a helmet protects is the person wearing it. The government has no business protecting you from yourself, thus the law is bad. (If you want to hurt yourself in a way that doesn't hurt others, be my guest.)

(I personally find the seatbelt arguments very flimsy as well, but at least those have some arguments in favour. In rare cases, your body can become a high speed projectile and hit someone. Most of the time, the only difference is that you need to be scraped off the pavement instead of out of a car, but I'll concede that sometimes you might hit someone.)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Radelaide said:
Um, irony?

I feel sorry for the guy. Seriously, that would be the one of the worst ways to go. But obviously this is the perfect reason for manditory helmets :(
I agree, this is irony, however I don't feel sorry for him. "Hey, screw you government! I don't want to get your idiotic laws pushed on me! I ride freestyle!" The whole thing in itself is stupid, and in his protest he proved why he should not protest. Maybe he'll even get a Darwin Award for this.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I'm not one to say this quickly, but this death was well earned.
Bullcrap to the people claiming you're only endangering yourself. We live in a socioty here, we are depended one on other. Someone is going to have to pay for the doctors trying to fix the guy up. And besides that he is taking an unnecesarry place in the hospital, those have limited spaces.
Besides from that people are open/weak to suggestion. If they see a man riding without a helment, they are encouraged to do the same. Monkey see Monkey do, and let's face it we're all still monkeys here. (Granted we don't have a tail, so we would be apes)

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I feel sorry for everyone involved, but come on, who didn't see that one coming?

Without a helmet, even a minor motorbike accident can become life-threatening, and I can guaruntee that almost everyone who rides a motorbike has had at least one accident, of any severity.

Aug 1, 2010
I am not a man of religion.

I do not believe in any sort of Christian, Muslim or Greek God(s) and I have never prayed.

However, I know and understand the great and powerful will of the Irony Gods, and this is simply more proof of their infinite abilities.

This. Is. Hilarious.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
This is just too ironic for me to feel sorry for the guy. If you want to ride on something as dangerous as a motorcycle, and DON'T protect your head, I don't care who you are, you're being a moron and don't get any sympathy from me.

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
Im sorry but what a ****, he was protesting a law put in place to save lives... an then his brain was on the pavement.... This is known as natural selection ladies and gentlemen