Man Who Bought $735 Xbox One Photo Gets Free Xbox One

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
008Zulu said:
He is being rewarded for being a complete moron. I'm sorry, but no. This is not how society should work.
Nuts, I was going to say that this is encouraging idiotic cry-babies. The guy even admitted that it said PHOTO in the item description, and he still somehow got news coverage because he was 'scammed'.
The only issue which even allowed Ebay to issue a refund was that it was in electronics section instead of photography, hence why most scammers sell empty packaging which can be classified as 'electronic goods.'

So he did deserve a refund, but nothing else.

Hyperstorm

Nov 27, 2013
Proving once more that stupidity should be classed a criminal offence punishable with a fine, jail time or both.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
He is 19. His son is 4. Something is seriously wrong here, besides his licentiousness and astonishing credulity. Look at the photograph and you will see the face of a man, a parent, who has traded in what dignity he had for a games console. A games console that was, if we are to believe his story, destined for his four-year-old son. Clatworthy deserves nothing more than ridicule, because he's a con-artist and/or a simpleton.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
You know, they could have given the console to someone who actually deserves it more, like maybe to a hospital ward,etc. That would be awesome publicity. Not to harp on the guy, but a 19 year old with a 4 year old? Damn. That means he had the kid at 15. And he admits that he saw it said photo, but he bought it anyway. Thanks for encouraging stupidity.
You touch the stove, you burn your hand, you don't touch the stove again.
This guy only learned that he can go around being as ignorant as he pleases and if he messes up NO BIGGIE, it will all be patched up. No need to think for yourself.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Yeah no, you make a mistake you suffer the consequences, what happens after? You learn from it.
He should have gotten a refund alone, a free console is overkill. Hopefully there will be some kind of awareness in his brain that says "Huh... lets never do that again!" cause I'd like to be one of the people on The Escapists that doesn't call people "morons" for mistakes... cause last time I checked we're not perfect.

"Xbone for his 4 year old son..."
"his 4 year old son..."
"4 year old..."

.... I do hate sleazy 19 year old liars though...
That being said... @#$% him.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Good publicity for CeX. I get most of my console games from there these days, second hand. I save a ton of money. I also got a cheap but powerful (for the amount of money it cost me to buy) graphics card from a CeX in St. Albans. Good times.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
Yeah yeah it might be "rewarding the stupid" and he prooobably decided an Xbox One would be a lot more fun for him than a WiiU, but at the end of the day, it is the christmas season, there's no harm in giving for the sake of giving (and publicity... I guess).

Besides we like... know nothing about this guy, he could just be a guy fallen on bad luck for all we know.

But I will concede that there are many many people who could do with one of those a lot more than this guy...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Revolutionary said:
I saw this article and thought hmmm... what new and interesting way will sony fanboys find to be negative nancys in this instance.
You guys never disappoint...keep going you crazy wonderful bastards.
OT: hats off to ceX, I mean I'm aware it's purely PR move, but whatever an xbox is an xbox.
I realize I've done this before, but seriously, please stop bringing up "Sony fanboys" in every thread that can somehow tangentially be called back to the stupid console wars. It has zero bearing on the thread at hand and, quite frankly, is obnoxious to see when there is less than zero indication of a person's gaming preference simply based on them thinking a situation involving an Xbox is stupid.

Especially given the fact that The Escapist tends to favor PC gaming in the first place.

Or are you going to call that guy sporting an Xbox Live avatar as his forum avatar a "Sony fanboy"?

OT: I wonder how much CeX stands to gain from this good publicity. Doesn't affect me one way or the other since I'm in the US, in a state that doesn't even have Target, but good on them all the same.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
008Zulu said:
He is being rewarded for being a complete moron. I'm sorry, but no. This is not how society should work.
And the first post nails it. An utter moron of the highest caliber.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Soooo....I'm dead! That has to be what happened here. I've died and gone to hell!

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
The story would be funny if he got a free PS4. But this is just boring and not really newsworthy.
I laughed at this. Grey-space approves this message.

An idiot got rewarded for being an idiot?

Once again the world proves that it is indeed possible to fail upwards.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
lacktheknack said:
StraightToHeck said:
his stupid, smug face in that photo is the stupid, smug cherry on this entire heaping ice cream sundae of idiocy

if his "son" is even real, I hope he grows up to resent his father
Please, justify your insane and terrifying hatred.

Do it. I dare you.
that's the wonderful thing about the internet, my good sir/madam; I don't have to!

(but srsly, it was a joke; I just don't like stupid people being unnecessarily rewarded for their stupidity; it makes me very sad)

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Reinforcement of stupid behavior. And all to reinact that one seen from Family Guy where Peter inevitably throws Lois out of a window to play the gaming machine he really got for himself.

I wasn't too particularly upset with the naive young idiot when he only got a refund and a little embarrasment... but now? I gotta go find a picture of an Xbox One to buy is what I gotta go do. You know what this CeX company did by giving him a free Xbone? They sort of adopted him as their store's mascot! He's like Jared but for this gaming store. "I used to be dumb and Xboxless. But now I have an Xbox One! For free!"

"His name is Clatworth; Peter Clatworth. He was conned for a picture but now owns an Xbox."

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Yes he's a bit of a moron, but still we all knew what the seller was trying to do. If one is a little to trusting and nieve ebay's a trap so try not to judge him people, the xbox was for his son.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Revolutionary said:
I saw this article and thought hmmm... what new and interesting way will sony fanboys find to be negative nancys in this instance.
OT: hats off to ceX, I mean I'm aware it's purely PR move, but whatever an xbox is an xbox.
This is not about Sony fanboys trying to make something negative out of this just because it's related to your beloved Xbox One.

No, this is about someone who clearly shouldn't have even received a refund for the picture that HE BOUGHT KNOWING IT WAS A PICTURE, getting a friggin free console for his own bloody mistake.
PR move or no PR Move we should NOT reward stupidity like that.

blangblang14

Super Awesome Pickle Boss
Feb 19, 2010
I think a refund can go either way. Ya it was his own stupidity, but that's alot of money to be out anytime of the year let alone Christmas time. Though I do think that getting a free console it pushing it. Like everyone else is saying, he's getting rewarded for his ignorance. I give this the stamp of disapproval!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Good on you, CeX, even though you're rewarding stupidity it's still nice to see you do things like this.

But he will learn nothing from this, and seeing as he should have gotten his refund anyway he should have just bought a proper one.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
l3o2828 said:
Revolutionary said:
This is not about Sony fanboys trying to make something negative out of this just because it's related to your beloved Xbox One.

No, this is about someone who clearly shouldn't have even received a refund for the picture that HE BOUGHT KNOWING IT WAS A PICTURE, getting a friggin free console for his own bloody mistake.
PR move or no PR Move we should NOT reward stupidity like that.
A lot of people think this guy was dumb. He wasn't. He was very calculating. He wanted an Xbox One. He went on eBay. He found a listing in the category that should be the genuine article, but the listing said picture. Because it said picture very few people bid on it, recognizing it as a scam. He reasoned it probably was a scam, but just maybe the seller screwed up the listing. If so, he could get it at a reasonable price because other people weren't bidding. Also, because of where it was listed, he figured if it did turn out to be a scam, eBay would take his side. It was and eBay did. So he was out nothing. He didn't get an Xbox One, but exposed that this sort of scam still goes on. Then he got a lucky bonus when CeX decided they could get cheap advertising off the situation by giving him an Xbox One. Now people with less initiative are jealous.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
I want to find this guy........and due to legal constraints I can't type out the rest of what I would want to do to him. We really need to start removing safety labels and letting nature take it's course.

Also have we had a xboner defender come about and say that we're all jelly because he got one for free?