Man Who Bought $735 Xbox One Photo Gets Free Xbox One

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
AndrewC said:
Inbreds like this should be neutered, not rewarded.

eBay say that if you've read a description and it states what it is and you buy it: END OF. The seller was completely honest, and this dipshit clearly knew what he was buying, obviously for his 4 year old - yeah ok buddy - but yet he gets his money back and a free console.

Godfuckingdammitworldstopcateringtostupidpeople ;_;
That's a bit much don't you think? I mean, I agree that he probably shouldn't have been rewarded for what he did, but neutering sounds a bit extreme.

Besides, it's a little late for that don't you think? :p

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Tenmar said:
Do you reward the person who is always on time, doing their job as best as possible exceeding expectations? Or do you reward the person who has major personal issues(drug problem etc), and overcomes said issues? It's always going to be the latter because people like the narrative of someone overcoming their problems.
I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about.

The drug addict rarely gets rewarded, and the person who holds a steady job will almost invariably come out ahead. Are you perhaps living in a parallel dimension to the rest of us back here on Earth in 2013?

CaptainCliche

Feb 15, 2010
As far as i'm concerned. The free Xbone isn't worth the humiliation and public jeering he's going to receive.

Also, I don't believe for a second it was for his son. When i was four years old, i didn't even know what a video game was. I played outside, Like a normal kid.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
PhantomEcho said:
He probably re-read the damn thing several times and, like any human not entirely jaded and cynical of the world, thought to himself "It's in the electronics category, eBay monitors these sorts of things, and this guy has no negative feedback. It's probably legit." A perfectly reasonable, in naive, assumption to make. Given that he's 19, it's one that I'm even more comfortable believing comes from a place of naivety.
He's 19 years old - he's not legally or physically a child. His assumption was most definitely not a reasonable one to make. Anybody of that age should have learned by now that the most logical assumption is there is something crooked about that listing.

Also, why the hell would you go on eBay to pay full retail price for an Xbone when there are plenty of them on shelves at legitimate retailers?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I don't understand why this has happened... I really don't I am awestruck and dumbfounded. Why? the guy barley deserved a refund. Damn I would have slapped the guy and this store is rewarding him for being to dumb to read WTH?

Please people, someone explain why a store would do this!? Cause right now my hand is itching to pimp slap both the store manager and the illiterate brit Xbone recipient.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
He isn't being rewarded, he payed 735$ for a videogame console that costs 500$...
Yes he is man, the guy got a refund for his stupidity from ebay... he is getting rewarded twice for being unable to read. I cannot imagine what kind of sick favours he did for the luck fairy for something like this to happen.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
O maestre said:
Please people, someone explain why a store would do this!? Cause right now my hand is itching to pimp slap both the store manager and the illiterate brit Xbone recipient.
The company is simply catering to their audience.

Chav 1: "Hey, did you see that CeX gave a free Xbox to this gullible idiot who buys unnecessary things which are beyond his means?"

Chav 2: "Wow! I'm also a gullible idiot who buys unnecessary things which are beyond my means. If I shop at CeX, maybe I'll be a winner like him!"

CeX Junior Manager: "Did you remember to mark up last-year's games by 20%? We're expecting a lot of new suckers customers this week."

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Aardvaarkman said:
O maestre said:
The company is simply catering to their audience.

Chav 1: "Hey, did you see that CeX gave a free Xbox to this gullible idiot who buys unnecessary things which are beyond his means?"

Chav 2: "Wow! I'm also a gullible idiot who buys unnecessary things which are beyond my means. If I shop at CeX, maybe I'll be a winner like him!"

CeX Junior Manager: "Did you remember to mark up last-year's games by 20%? We're expecting a lot of new suckers customers this week."
Lol. Shit man I'm sorry I still don't understand I don't ever intend to buy at that store because of this, I'd feel like an idi... wait a minute.. I'm starting to understand, this only makes sense if CeX assumes that we the paying customers are all idiots... just like that guy!

They think we're stupid! I understand now, thanks to you noble Aardvaarkman!

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Honestly, I see this as an everybody wins type situation (at least, everyone involved). Sure now we all think we deserve a free console of our choice since this idiot got one, but honestly it was a high profile story, the retail chain gets a great amount of publicity and good will, a child gets a new console for the holidays, and the father gets to save face over his lapse in judgement.

Does he deserve it? Hell no. But I guess sometimes good things just happen and I certainly wouldn't begrudge him that.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
"The moral of this story is... huh. Stupidity gets rewarded?"

Pretty much...though does getting an Xbone really count as a reward anyway? :p

CaptainCliche

Feb 15, 2010
Baffle said:
CaptainCliche said:
As far as i'm concerned. The free Xbone isn't worth the humiliation and public jeering he's going to receive.

Also, I don't believe for a second it was for his son. When i was four years old, i didn't even know what a video game was. I played outside, Like a normal kid.
How long ago were you four years old? Computers and gaming are much more commonplace and accessible than they were when I was four years old, so it isn't so much of a surprise that leisure habits have changed. My nephew has been gaming since he was around that age, and it isn't at all a stretch that this system could be for his son.

More generally, I think it's HILARIOUS that he's been given a free Xbox and that it so bothers people who are in no way affected by it, especially in view of the repugnant attitudes displayed in the earlier thread about this. Ho ho ho.
I was four in 1995, So Nes, SNes, N64, PS1, sega genesis, megadrive and of course PC were all about at the time, And even then my first console was the 360. I dabbled in some PC games when i was younger. Populous, C&C. Basic RTS games but they were only to tide me over til the rain stopped.
I'm much more of a gamer now that i'm a working adult with an income.
But considering the increasing complexity and expense of modern gaming. i can't help but feel it should be a teen/ adult activity as opposed to the babysitter it seems to be used as nowadays.

And i agree with you. It is indeed hilarious that so many people are so bothered by it, I don't necessarily agree with being given free stuff for a silly(fully refunded)Mistake and a sob story. But If a company wants to use the opportunity to advertise themselves then sure, Why not.

As much as people like to bash the Xbone, I can't picture anyone here saying no to a freebie.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Stupidity + media attention = rewards.
Okay, maybe i should hit the head on my desk harder and get rewarded for it becuase that certainly seems where we are going with this.

Longstreet said:
Just some nice PR for CeX. There are probably more than a few that will now buy their xbone80 from that store, just because they did this.
Is it though? There are not CeX stores here. But if there were i know i wouldnt be giving my money to people who reward stupid people for being stupid.

J Tyran said:
Well thats the real mistake in the eyes of many, its not that he was daft enough to fall for a scam its because he chose the Xbox One. The damn Xbox one, how dare he? He deserves no sympathy, only someone getting scammed over a Wii U or PS4 is worthy of sympathy. The funniest thing is people seem to think thats not blatantly obvious and believe they are being subtle about it, I am sure some don't even recognise it in themselves either.
I dont know about everyone, but i sure as hell would be thinking exactly same thing if it were a PS4, WiiU or PC. In fact the people who mention Playstation here are only people who seem to be angry at people blaming it more for Xbox than stupidity being rewarded. Maybe you should read the replies before going on how people are hating because Xbox One?

IAmTheToaster said:
I think what the primary issue is isn't that he was refunded for making a genuine mistake - that's right and fair. It's that he's been refunded AND rewarded for making the genuine mistake.
but was it a genuine mistake? The guy admited he knew it was a photo and still thought he would get the Xbox. He read the decription and understood that it said it was a photo. Does not sound like mistake to me.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Aardvaarkman said:
Also, why the hell would you go on eBay to pay full retail price for an Xbone when there are plenty of them on shelves at legitimate retailers?
The reason he was on eBay was because he was after a Day One edition. After all, if you're buying a high-powered gaming device for your four year old, they won't even look at it if it doesn't have the exclusive achievements and collectors' value.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, considering the international news coverage of his apparently questionable reading comprehension, a free Xbox One would seem a pittance in comparison.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
MrBaskerville said:
He isn't being rewarded, he payed 735$ for a videogame console that costs 500$...
No he didnt. He paid 0, because his money was refunded AND he got a free console.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
MrBaskerville said:
And for the last time, stop thinking of "America" as "The Rest of the World". In America, it costs $500. In Great Britain, it costs £430. That is equivalent to around $700. He overpaid a bit, sure, but not in the amount you're joking about.

This is what I railed against last time, but I'm going to be nicer this time. You making fun of someone in the UK paying that much comes off as entitled, naive, and a bit of a dick move. It's an American company charging the rest of the world a lot more, and here you are... obviously American because it doesn't cost the equivalent of $500 anywhere else... here you are insulting people for paying that much.

It's what they're charged. So stop insulting them.