March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Mojang stands high and mighty as this song plays, the other developers walking away in the background.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
lol @ everyone crying that "Mojang isn't a legitimate developer since Minecraft is still beta." They're still developing the game, right? Furthermore, as much as I love Bioware, Valve and Bethesda (my personal pick) if you think about it, do they REALLY need the advertising as much as a developer whose game is chiefly only known about through word-of-mouth? On top of that, As much as I love Bioware's earlier games, they needed to be taken down a peg because their overconfidence in their past history of making good games led them to churn out an at-best subpar sequel with Dragon Age 2. Hopefully the outcry surrounding it will keep them from ripping of their loyal customers in the future. In the meantime, they don't deserve or need any more attention for going back on the quality they'd been so eager to instill in their games in the past.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
How could BioWare loose when not only are their games awesome, but the fan creations are as well? I mean, come on!

http://adiera1.deviantart.com/art/Shepard-F-and-company-190264961?q=gallery:adiera1&qo=0

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Fappy said:
Well the whole Turbine thing was my point exactly. They were the "underdog" who won 3 times because they were always the underdog. Bioware vs Valve was actually a pretty fair fight and there really wasn't much of an underdog in that fight.
I wouldn't have a problem calling Turbine an underdog for the first March Mayhem but once you've won the competition I don't think they can rightly be called an underdog.

As for their winning streak, I think that has more to do with Turbine advertising MM in their launch window which got lots of Turbine fans over here.

MaaZeus

Mar 26, 2011
I LOVE Minecraft, I am so addicted to it but this... this is wrong. I guess that DA2's lukewarm reception hurted Bioware a bit but I doubt it would be the sole reason. But who am I to judge the results, Mojang won. Congrats.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
My opinion on the Majong winning March Mayhem can be generally summed up by
but at the same time, my feelings on the flaming in the forums is shown in

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I think this is supposed to suggest I should go buy minecraft instead of mooching it off of friends. But I really don't feel like coughing up $20 for something i'll likely forget about in no time.

After all, that's what my friend did, and that's how I'm getting to play it.

locoartero

Jan 3, 2011
Finale should have been Bioware vs Valve. I still can't accept such crap as Mojang beating VALVE Really? VALVE? and the Bioware Again REALLY? Jesus Christ! Is anyone stupid enough to choose Minecraft which is just ok, over Portal, Half-Life, Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect? WHAT THE HELL? I've lost my faith in humanity.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
A special thanks to Caliostro, Celtic_Kerr, GeorgW, MiracleOfSound and XxRyanxX for being our Escapist Ambassadors and helping answer questions from new members as well as fielding questions regarding the tournament.
I think I speak for all of us when I say: No problem.

...Except for that "Kross" guy. Man, someone should ban him... Maybe into a prison, or a fort or something...

aidutcher

Dec 11, 2010
I can respect Mojang, but I wonder how many people voted for them because they thought it would be amusing if Mojang beat giants like Valve and Bioware and not because of the quality of the games. Not that Minecraft is poor quality, it's just different quality. I'm not going to say Mojang should or shouldn't have won, but I personally would have voted for Bioware. Maybe that's just because I like games with character development and finite plots.

Congratulations to Mojang though.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
What the feth Escapists!?

This man has made one game, sure it offers a huge window of creativity but really?
There are so many other companies that are so much deeper and have put out so much work and this guy gets it?

Dissapoint.
P.s. This reminds me of the Zynga thing last year...

teh_spartan

ultimate pwnerer
Mar 29, 2009
i fail to see the irony and that is also not true! at all!

But i called that mojang would win but i didnt realy pay attention to the rest of my bracket so my score sucks.

Duncan Belfast

Oct 19, 2010
awesome_ninja said:
pft....pathetic
I never wanted to play minecraft and never will.... GMOD is 10 times better than this
/me blames fanboys *rolleyes*
You are aware that you can't truly assess the quality of something you've never tried, right?

This is bothering me more than it should. There are people out there that actually think they can form opinions about things they've never tried. Where did you even get the multiple of 10 from? How can you assign a value to something you haven't measured?

This is very troubling. What if people applied this kind of thinking to real life? What if a doctors gave a diagnosis without actually seeing the patient? What if juries found defendants without hearing their cases? What if airline pilots attempted to fly without communicating with other pilots and air traffic control? What if voters arbitrarily decided which party to vote for, without considering either party's stance on current issues?

Does this mean you have to play MineCraft? Only if you want to form an opinion about it in relation to other games. Can you not play it, saying it's probably not for you? Absolutely. Did I need to write an essay about the importance of forming opinions based on information? The line of thinking in your post says yes.

/sperg

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
There, see flame-warriors? Valve and Bioware still got the paid advertising contract! They didn't lose anything material, so please, quit acting like it's the end of the world.

OT: Nice. Great to see that the underdog can gain mass support through plain and simple hard work combined with a simple but awesome game concept. Gratz to Mojang, and to Valve and Bioware and Blizzard too!

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
teh_spartan said:
But i called that mojang would win but i didnt realy pay attention to the rest of my bracket so my score sucks.
Same here. I think I had them up against Gearbox or something in the finals, which I should have known would never happen.