March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

iplaydabass

Mar 17, 2011
Really? really? Mojang doesn't hold a candle to Bioware. Minecraft...So a one hit wonder game that isn't finished.....beat out Bioware, who have finished numerous amazing games and while constantly improving themselves are taking games in a forward direction. I for one declare Shenanigans. This is the equivalent of Rebecca Black beating out Ludwig Van Beethoven for best Symphony.

Earaldor Xerron

Jan 7, 2011
While one might say that it's unfair to compare Bioware and Mojang because the difference in their age and games developed (and/or published) I still think that Mojang deserves it's first place. Hope this will also be a sign to Bioware that while sticking to trustworthy old formulae is a good way to make games, it's not always the best. Even if it's just a single concept change, it can make for a fantastic game, like Minecraft.
(I voted for Bioware btw.)

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
All fads got to have their day I suppose, well done Mojang. Rather them win than someone like Zynga *shudder*.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Bioware has now come in second place for MM 3 years in a row. They must be pissed.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
The dumbest statement I've read is people saying about Bioware is that "Oh DragonAge2 sucked, so Bioware deserved to lose!"...really?...then I guess Minecraft should have lost because they haven't actually developed a single completed game, Valve should have won because they only make successful games, Blizzard lost because they don't really make anything original anymore, and Bungie lost because they can't make anything aside from Halo, and OH! don't forget, Nintendo only makes Nintendo games!

Plus, DA2 wasn't that bad. People are just complaining because DA2 tried to change and improve on the game, yet just because they don't like the way things turned out they have to throw a temper tantrum and bang their fists on the ground like spoiled children. Maybe I should also point out all the hundreds of flaws with Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, Half Life 2, and so on and ect.

Bottom Line: Just because you didn't like the game it doesn't mean that everyone does. Plus ONE failure by a great publisher will just turn into a better success now that they will know what NOT to do for the next title. (Also, you need to consider that NO game developer can make ONLY good games. Everyone makes at least 1 or 2 bad games if they make a bunch of them, I bet Mojang will even slip up considering that Minecraft could pretty much a one-hit wonder that they got lucky and developed first).

However I do agree that this entire bracket had NOTHING to do with the quality of a Publisher or their content, but rather by how POPULAR they are. And considering that the majority of Bioware gamers are 'Hardcore' or 'RPG/Adventure' gamers (Plus even if every serious gamer in the world voted for Bioware, Casual gamers will always be the majority). I can also understand how the vast number of 'Casual' gamers decided to vote for the extremely casual Minecraft.

Joe5000

Mar 18, 2011
It would be interesting to see the twitter extra vote count vs non twitter votes. A wins a win though.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Thank goodness intelligent people still recognize that popularity does in no way equal quality, nor does lack of recognition in any way entail a lack of quality.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
angmoo said:
PureIrony said:
Bioware has now come in second place for MM 3 years in a row. They must be pissed.
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't really care.
They've been tweeting about it for the last two weeks. Someone over there cares.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Congratulations to Mojang, and congratulations to the bracket winners too :D. I kind of hoped Valve would win, personally, but still Mojang are certainly worthy winners. I foresee great things from them beyond Minecraft. Very great indeed :).

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
The only reason I'm ever so slightly bitter about this outcome is that it totally ruined my bracket - first I'm unable to predict Zynga's success, now this :(

Oh well, congratulations are in order for Mojang; I, like many others, are of the opinion that another developer should have won (*cough* Valve *cough*), but, as many have pointed out, perhaps it's better to look at who was the best developer THIS year...in which case, yeah, Mojang is doing pretty well with that Minecraft thingy.

Perhaps I'll check it out one of these days...

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
SonicKoala said:
The only reason I'm ever so slightly bitter about this outcome is that it totally ruined my bracket - first I'm unable to predict Zynga's success, now this :(

Oh well, congratulations are in order for Mojang; I, like many others, are of the opinion that another developer should have won (*cough* Valve *cough*), but, as many have pointed out, perhaps it's better to look at who was the best developer THIS year...in which case, yeah, Mojang is doing pretty well with that Minecraft thingy.

Perhaps I'll check it out one of these days...
Valve should have won? You mean with their complete lack of any developed product for 2010. Yeah they totally should have been able to rest on their laurels made 3-5 years ago.

DannyZilla

Sep 14, 2010
I pretty much spend my time switching between Minecraft and Mass Effect 2 so i was happy both Mojang and Bioware were in the final, well done Notch, you multi-millionaire genius!

Bioware still write the best games though!

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
I recognize what Mojang has done with it's indie darling, but seriously? I was actually shocked and appalled by some of the picks throughout this years tourney. It was truly Madness!

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Congrats to Mojang, although the bastards destroyed my bracket.
Maybe I should've taken into account the massive Minecraft fanbase on the Escapist.