Marvel Changing Captain America Movie Name for Russian Release

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I hope they also find a way to omit the Captain America from the film too, because I want to see how in the hell they pull that off.

Funny, Marvel didn't have a problem combining Crimson Dynamo and Whiplash in as-yet-another-Russian-villian. From what I've heard, a lot of people over there were quite offended by Mickey Rourke's butchering of their language.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Well it worked for The Dark Knight, why shouldn't it work here? The First Avenger is actually one of his Red Baron style names. Like 'The Red Comet' or 'The White Unicorn' or 'The Dark Knight'

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
The Imp said:
I'd prefer them dropping Captain America altogether. If it's one thing the world doesn't need it's a stupid patriotic action hero spreading the oh-so holy american way of life.
You're an idiot who doesn't know anything about the character.

VyperX

Jul 14, 2009
A rose by any other name...?

Anyway, I don't get why it said 'the last avenger' in the tags? Was that deliberate?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Puddle Jumper said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Puddle Jumper said:
The First Avenger ... The Last Airbender ...
I think you're on to something. They should call this "Avatar: The First Avenger."

Anyway, I'm not sure what changing the name will do.

Since he's still, you know...Captain America.
Jus' sayin' it seems to be a popular trend alongside calling your sequel BLAHBLAH 3D or The BLAHBLAH
Yeah, I was joking. Though to be fair, TLA had a pretty damn good reason to drop "Avatar."

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
This may fall under "being a dick", but... I say "so what?"

This isn't the first time a movie has been renamed to appeal to an international audience and it certainly won't be the last. If the movie is good (key phrase), it will (or should) appeal to most audiences regardless of the title or characters' names.
VyperX said:
A rose by any other name...?
Exactly. When all else fails, quote The Bard. heh.

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
"No,you move."

Moments like that made the "Civil War" all worth it... then "Secret Invasion" happened and I died a little on the inside.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Wouldn't the costume itself be a dead giveaway for those who are unfamiliar with the character? I mean, he is wearing the flag as a uniform. (Not literally, of course, but you know what I mean.)

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Mantonio said:
The Imp said:
I'd prefer them dropping Captain America altogether. If it's one thing the world doesn't need it's a stupid patriotic action hero spreading the oh-so holy american way of life.
Because i don't give two shits about a character named Captain America wearing a stars and stripes costume fighting evil on all fronts to save the day and be a hero. I despise super heroes, i hate their costumes and masks, their virtues and do-goody attitude. I love to read comics but i read The Boys, The Punisher MAX, 100 Bullets, Crossed, Neonomicon and Hellblazer not some Justice League or Avengers crap with guys in spandex fighting their arch nemesis for the bazillionth time but don't kill him when he is at their mercy just so he can escape custody and appear in the next book.

Darksqueee

Apr 21, 2010
If he can better marketed better overseas, then I wholeheartedly approve of the name reconfiguration.

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
The Imp said:
Thats not really what Caps about.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
gigastar said:
The Cap is 70 years old as a character. His creation was geared around getting America to think the Nazis were nothing. Hell his first comic cover had him punching Adolf Hitler in the face.
True, but you have to move with them times. The name and outfit might have worked back then, but seem out of place by now.

If he wa a DC character he'd have changed his name 3 times by now and have hired at least 2 other heroes to sub in for him occasionally.

The Imp said:
guys in spandex fighting their arch nemesis for the bazillionth time but don't kill him when he is at their mercy just so he can escape custody and appear in the next book.
Argh! Don't get me going on that.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
The Imp said:
Mantonio said:
The Imp said:
Because i don't give two shits about a character named Captain America wearing a stars and stripes costume fighting evil on all fronts to save the day and be a hero. I despise super heroes, i hate their costumes and masks, their virtues and do-goody attitude. I love to read comics but i read The Boys, The Punisher MAX, 100 Bullets, Crossed, Neonomicon and Hellblazer not some Justice League or Avengers crap with guys in spandex fighting their arch nemesis for the bazillionth time but don't kill him when he is at their mercy just so he can escape custody and appear in the next book.
Then... don't comment about things you dont know about or like?

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
by that logic why not change it for the uk to because i have no idea who this captain person is, all i can gather is that he uses a shield or something

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Hawkeye16 said:
The Imp said:
Thats not really what Caps about.
Then i don't get why he is named Captain America, almost, wrapped in the american flag. The name, maybe, made sense in the 40s and 50s but times have changed and if he really dropped his costume several times in the past 50some years why not re-design the character to reflect modern times, even if set during ww2, just to show the world that this is not the stereotypical flag waving, gun loving, bible kissing bigot that everbody would assume he is based solely on his name and appearence.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I honestly don't think the film is going to have a particularly large pull outside the states with the exception of comic fans who would go see the film regardless of the title.

I don't particularly have a problem with Cap, in fact he has been a fairly interesting character on occassion, but he tends to delve into that whole "this country is founded on X" wank that is completely alienating to none American readers.

The same thing happens when Spiderman or Mitch from Ex Machina start waxing lyrical about how New York is the center of the known universe, it just highlights how America-centric mainstream comics tend to be.

I for one will go see the film and while I'm sure there's going to be some patrotic guff in there I'll enjoy it nonetheless.

The Imp said:
Then i don't get why he is named Captain America, almost, wrapped in the american flag. The name, maybe, made sense in the 40s and 50s but times have changed and if he really dropped his costume several times in the past 50some years why not re-design the character to reflect modern times, even if set during ww2, just to show the world that this is not the stereotypical flag waving, gun loving, bible kissing bigot that everbody would assume he is based solely on his name and appearence.
Comic fans have always been notoriously hostile to any changes golden age character's costume designs. Plus Cap is supposed to be an anachronism, it's part of his character. He's not as bad as his name makes him out to be. In fact he's generally at odds with the American public like any Super Hero should be.

Still, he's far too straight forward for my taste. What he needs is for Alan Moore to turn him into a heroin addicted Jazz critic.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
thaluikhain said:
gigastar said:
The Cap is 70 years old as a character. His creation was geared around getting America to think the Nazis were nothing. Hell his first comic cover had him punching Adolf Hitler in the face.
True, but you have to move with them times. The name and outfit might have worked back then, but seem out of place by now.

If he wa a DC character he'd have changed his name 3 times by now and have hired at least 2 other heroes to sub in for him occasionally.
The whole point of the character in modern comics is for just that VERY reason. Hes outta place. His values tend to differ from ours, etc. To be honest its one of the more interesting things about him and comics in general.

As for the DC comment, the only character I can recall that has done that is Batman, and he certainly hasn't changed his name...

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
The Imp said:
The modern America is exactly why this Captain is needed. He represents the best of what America could be. He's into Jefferson Democracy and a depression era work ethic. The clash between how he thinks America should be and how it really is forms the core of his drama.
thaluikhain said:
gigastar said:

Marvel isn't DC, they don't magic away stuff that no longer fits them (aside from marriages). But funnily enough he has changed his name thrice (Nomad, The Captain, Director Rogers) and subbed in 2 other guys at least (John Walker, Bucky Barnes).

But more importantly his outdateness is the entire point of the character, he's an man out of time, he's missed 60 years of history in what felt like a heartbeat. He has to deal with changing social dynamics, technology and politics.