Marvel Comics Reveals New Ms. Marvel

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Tenmar said:
Really hope that is all concept art cause not really liking the style or the costume. Really wish I could offer more but given the content it's just...not that good looking.
Yeah, I took one look at those images and shook my head.

They just look terrible...I really hope for something better otherwise I have a feeling this is just going to flop.
Tenmar said:
Really hope that is all concept art cause not really liking the style or the costume. Really wish I could offer more but given the content it's just...not that good looking.
It doesn't contain blatant fan-service, so for me, it's a GREAT costume. Sure, it could look better, but a woman that isn't fighting with her tits or ass hanging out is good enough for me.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
This is an interesting concept. We'll see where they go with it though. There is basically a million ways they can offend with it. Most heroes aren't identified by their faith in the DC universe so it does sound strange to make one of the very few Arabic individuals go that route, but at least there's something.

CriticalMiss said:
bazaalmon said:
Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!
Erm, that's DC who are against lesbian marriage. This is a Marvel series.
DC is generally against marriage altogether. But yeah.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
I think I might pick this up if I can find the time or money. I've always been a Ms. M. fan.

Young Kamala has quite a legacy to live up to.

EDIT: By the way, I actually like that costume. It makes me think of Cassie Sandsmark.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I'm certainly happy to see more inclusive heroes. However, I think there are ways to make an awesome costume without making her look like a harlot, and they haven't done that, so I am also hoping this costume is concept only.

Furthermore, I am just not confident enough in theability to show a character who lives by those lifestyle choices. More likely, it'll just be another "standard American archetype" who happens to be darker and occasionally makes mention of her heritage. Don't believe me? Just look at Jubilee. I didn't even know she was supposed to be Asian until well after she lost relevancy, as they did little to define her culturally.

On the flipside, I don't know how I feel about them just replacing Carol Danvers like that. I know she isn't exactly high up on the A-list, but it's just odd. It's nice to see them try something like this, but they need to do it right.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Seracen said:
I'm certainly happy to see more inclusive heroes. However, I think there are ways to make an awesome costume without making her look like a harlot, and they haven't done that, so I am also hoping this costume is concept only.

Furthermore, I am just not confident enough in theability to show a character who lives by those lifestyle choices. More likely, it'll just be another "standard American archetype" who happens to be darker and occasionally makes mention of her heritage. Don't believe me? Just look at Jubilee. I didn't even know she was supposed to be Asian until well after she lost relevancy, as they did little to define her culturally.

On the flipside, I don't know how I feel about them just replacing Carol Danvers like that. I know she isn't exactly high up on the A-list, but it's just odd. It's nice to see them try something like this, but they need to do it right.
It's also somewhat besides the point. What people don't know about the largest segment of Muslims, the Sunnis, is that they are largely iconoclasts. They don't believe in representative images. Shi'ites will go so far as to even have pictures of their Prophet in their mosques but not the larger denomination. So making her live by a certain set of lifestyles is kind of a non-issue when the medium as a whole is already questionable for the ideology of something like 80% of the Muslim Faith. But, at least it's something.

Jubilee was Asian? Interesting. I remember reading the early X-Men comics and they actively included other nationalities like Jewish ("Kitty" Shadowcat and Magneto), Russian (Colossus), and even Native American (Thunderbird). They've been incredibly inclusive so this move doesn't surprise me at all. Frankly, I don't even consider it a "move" like I would with some other companies considering this being a calling card of Marvel.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Whats her power? Suicide bombing? lol. Seriously though, this just seems like bullshit. Thing is why not just create a new muslim superhero or a gay hero......why make a current hero gay or muslim? Just seems like pandering. I would love a super hero that was muslim, just that it would mean more if it was a brand new hero. Not just painting an already known hero with a muslim brush.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Red X said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Whats her power? Suicide bombing? lol. Seriously though, this just seems like bullshit. Thing is why not just create a new muslim superhero or a gay hero......why make a current hero gay or muslim? Just seems like pandering. I would love a super hero that was muslim, just that it would mean more if it was a brand new hero. Not just painting an already known hero with a muslim brush.
DC did... But then they killed her as fast as they introduced her :p
Just out of curiosity as im not a comic person, well was more an Image person back in the day. Who was that character an how was she killed?

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I think she's great and that big 'ol fist is awesome but.....

Comic book companies should stop doing these media parades every time they introduce a minority character. All it does is bring attention to how little they've done it in the past.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I like the concept and the look of the cover. The other art doesn't look very appealing though, so I hope it's just concept art. I wonder what her name will be once Danvers is Ms. Marvel again.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Lightknight said:
It's also somewhat besides the point. What people don't know about the largest segment of Muslims, the Sunnis, is that they are largely iconoclasts. They don't believe in representative images. Shi'ites will go so far as to even have pictures of their Prophet in their mosques but not the larger denomination. So making her live by a certain set of lifestyles is kind of a non-issue when the medium as a whole is already questionable for the ideology of something like 80% of the Muslim Faith. But, at least it's something.

Jubilee was Asian? Interesting. I remember reading the early X-Men comics and they actively included other nationalities like Jewish ("Kitty" Shadowcat and Magneto), Russian (Colossus), and even Native American (Thunderbird). They've been incredibly inclusive so this move doesn't surprise me at all. Frankly, I don't even consider it a "move" like I would with some other companies considering this being a calling card of Marvel.
I totally understand that simply having a Muslim superhero would raise such feelings in some of the readership. However, as a character, the new Ms. Marvel would (and perhaps should) behave in certain ways that define her character as an American Muslim, lest she lose her cultural identity. To be fair, this would be mostly subtle stuff, which is characterization 101, regardless of cultural background.

Case in point: Yep, Jubilation Lee was supposed to be Chinese, but they completely played her off as a valley girl and literal mallrat. I wouldn't call it a "move" either, as it seemed more natural than Northstar, Batwoman, or Justice Society's Green Lantern.

Defining her along socio-cultural lines would have given meat to her character, keeping her from fading into obscurity. Similarly, as much as I liked her, Dazzler is a caricature of 80's action chicks, and hasn't withstood the test of time either. The X-Men always seem to be in need of these characters, the "young scared girl" who has potential, and is taken under Wolverine's wing (apparently to redeem him and make him more like Batman). Rogue suits this same purpose in the X-Men film, and is arguably the worst rendition of the character.

Not saying the current stab at her (Hisako from the X-Men anime) is terribly good. The only thing different about her is that she has no relationship with Wolverine, and manages to be boring despite the plot revolving around her. Still, how much more interesting would any of these archetypes have been, if they had been approached as anything other than plot convenience?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Now it's a contest to see whose appearance will cause more of an uproar: this new Ms. marvel or Simon Baz, the Arab-American Green Lantern. Don't tell me we forgot about him already.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Now it's a contest to see whose appearance will cause more of an uproar: this new Ms. marvel or Simon Baz, the Arab-American Green Lantern. Don't tell me we forgot about him already.
No no, that will happen when they get pigeonholed into a marriage that creates the new version of the Amalgam universe.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Lightknight said:
They don't believe in representative images. Shi'ites will go so far as to even have pictures of their Prophet in their mosques but not the larger denomination.
For clarification, this isn't 100% accurate. The pictures that Shi'ites have in their mosques (and frequently all around their neighborhoods) are pictures of Ali Ibn Abi Talib, who was the cousin and son in law of Muhammad, the Islamic Prophet, and considered to be the second most important figure in Islamic history. No sect of Islam permits pictures or representative images of the Prophet Muhammad.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
bazaalmon said:
Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!
Erm, that's DC who are against lesbian marriage. This is a Marvel series.

I've got to agree that the artwork looks a bit shit and I'm not really keen on the idea too. I mean, is she going to stop being a hero to pray 5 times a day and then get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine? Also why does that hedgehog have Hulk hands (holy aliteration Batman!)?
I'd assume she's going to be a nicely progressive Muslim girl who maybe checks out some Hadiths while in the subway but who mostly sticks to her head-space for the worship stuff. I don't see how her actually looking to find out which way East is and kneeling on her little prayer mat at the drop of a hat would go down well with the Right Wingers in the readership.

Apart from that, I dunno. She likes Cheetos, watches Game of Thrones, pesters about her cell phone plan being too expensive - but no kids in the oven and none of that "Burqua or die, you domestic slave-cow" crap.

I wouldn't care personally but, eh. Grew up in Montreal, studied in Montreal, etc. People asking me what time it is and which way East is is pretty common. I don't think I'd especially mind.