Marvel Comics Reveals New Ms. Marvel

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Desert Punk said:
Tenmar said:
EDIT: Anyone else notice that the father's hands were closer in size to that of Ms.Marvel using her body morphing ability? Hell put him in that outfit and Mr.Marvel away :p
Re looking at the pic...what the hell is that lizard/goblin thing with the fez at the lower right of the picture behind the white dudes legs?! :p
More importantly, why are the Khans all drunks. Look behind them, nothing but bottles of booze.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
I've got to agree that the artwork looks a bit shit and I'm not really keen on the idea too. I mean, is she going to stop being a hero to pray 5 times a day and then get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine?
You can't possibly be serious. That stereotype doesn't even have to hold true to Muslim women in the Middle East, let alone in the USA or other Western countries. I've got a whole chunk of Muslim family members living in the Middle East, and the women are just as likely as the men to be in highly paid professional jobs. My great-great Aunt, who died a few years back well into her 100s, had a freaking PhD in Anthropology, published books on the development of societies in the local area, and refused to ever get married. So, to put that into perspective, she was as highly educated as it's really possibly to get, at a time when that was perishingly rare for women even in the West, lived independently and wrote critically of local customs.

The kind of ideas you're displaying are precisely why this is a fantastic idea.

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
Ya know, I really do like that new costume. Not only does it pull from the traditions of modesty instilled by Islam, but it is also simple and unique. I can't wait to see what the story's like.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
bazaalmon said:
Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!
Erm, that's DC who are against lesbian marriage. This is a Marvel series.
And that's what you get for reading only the headline at The Escapist (gotta read the actual article), the artists walked off after the editors forced them to do the lesbian wedding instead of keeping it an on again/off again relationship like they wanted to for the character. It was creative differences made to look like bigotry by an attention-grabbing headline.

Anyway, I do think this reeks of "trying too hard for diversity", but I'll be on board if it's well written.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
bazaalmon said:
Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!
Erm, that's DC who are against lesbian marriage. This is a Marvel series.

I've got to agree that the artwork looks a bit shit and I'm not really keen on the idea too. I mean, is she going to stop being a hero to pray 5 times a day and then get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine? Also why does that hedgehog have Hulk hands (holy aliteration Batman!)?
(Sigh) You can combine prayers if you have pressing business and the whole "Stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman" thing is only in specific countries most notoriously Saudi Arabia.
Actually your comments highlight a potential issue for this comic, seemingly few people can tell the difference between culture and religion, yes they are intertwined but they are not one in the same different cultures having different interpretations and what not, also Islam. Also one to wonder if they will have the restraint to not give her a romantic interest cause you really aren't suppose to have one outside of marriage in Islam.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I smell shitstorm....

Tenmar said:
Really hope that is all concept art cause not really liking the style or the costume. Really wish I could offer more but given the content it's just...not that good looking.
I really do hope it's concept art. Or maybe an early costume she switches out of early on. It looks bad, but yeah. Without more detail, not much else to say.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
Lifecharacter: Anyway, this is DC we're talking about right?

MARVEL! Ms marvel is a Marvel Character. that being said I shutter to think what DC would do. DC tried introducing an arab/ muslim greenlantern and his main plotline was how everyone including the government and Nightwing thought that he was a terrorist it was handled as well as can be expected from the current DC comics.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Desert Punk said:
Tenmar said:
Really hope that is all concept art cause not really liking the style or the costume. Really wish I could offer more but given the content it's just...not that good looking.
Yeah, I took one look at those images and shook my head.

They just look terrible...I really hope for something better otherwise I have a feeling this is just going to flop.
Same here, I don't mind the character concept but that art style, no thanks.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Seems like a cynical attempt to appeal to more readers by introducing "more diversity".

Not saying that there is anything wrong with diversity, just that doing something just because you think it will sell rarely works.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Why does she have to be religious at all? Why can't she just be of middle-eastern background instead of ham-fisting a religion angle into it? They talk like it's a big part of her identity.

Don't other superheroes stay out of religious nonsense?