Marvel Giving Thor's Hammer New Female Friendly Inscription

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
anthony87 said:
"Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

There. Nice and non-specific ^_^
Isn't that what Odin said in the first Thor movie?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
On one hand, the idea that the hammer changes based on whoever is holding it is a neat idea, and I can certainly see why they did it.
On the other hand, having it stay a 'he' and allow her to wield would be a very Éowyn thing to happen so I think it would at least be a neat approach.

Still, I don't read comics so whatever I say is basically null and void!

Plasmadamage

Jul 24, 2012
anthony87 said:
"Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

There. Nice and non-specific ^_^
I can't believe it took 8 posts to get to that

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Nazrel said:
Contrary to common misconception "He" is not a masculine pronoun, it's gender neutral. Where as "She" is a feminine pronoun.

This is why "he" is used for unknown or ambiguous individuals; when referring to a specific individuals the assumption of masculinity is made, though it would also be an appropriate term to be used for an entity without a Male/Female gender.

My point here is that ironically, Mjolnir has now gone from saying it's gender inclusive to that it's gender exclusive.

Given the intent behind the move I find this hilarious.
Don't be bringing logic and the history of words into a discussion like this 'un!

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Mjolnir is magical. I don't think it's all that unbelievable that it can change the pronoun etched on it when it comes into contact with another sex. If this kicks up any kind of controversy at all I will be extremely disappointed in whoever stokes the flames.
Fappy, we're on the internet.

Of course people are going to get angry. People are stupid.
Because god forbid fans of an established character that's been around longer than many of us have been alive, get angry at Marvel for messing with said beloved character in the name of publicity and scoring points with the SJW crowd.

And one more thing; I don't get this whole "Thor is the title" thing. Thor isn't a title, it's his name. The guy's name is Thor, his title is "God of Thunder."

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It's kind of funny. In a world where they already lazily slap "girl" or "woman" onto the name of a previously existing male hero to make copycat female ones, we see Marvel not even bother to give her her own name and that's seen as more progressive somehow?

It's still the same old problem. Female hero getting a male hero's motif slapped on.

Someday I hope Sif or any of the other very powerful and legitimate female heroes get the facetime they deserve. In the meantime, I guess I have to watch them just dick around with existing heroes in ways that should be insulting to everyone but today somehow aren't.

Frankly, I'm still peeved that Sif wasn't given this role as a female Asguardian icon.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
It could've had "thee" or "they" to begin with.

I don't really see the fuss behind this, if anything, it comes across as a little bit try-hard-y.

Oh well, gift horses and mouths; let's just hope that this will result in an interesting character.

Dec 14, 2009
Machine Man 1992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Mjolnir is magical. I don't think it's all that unbelievable that it can change the pronoun etched on it when it comes into contact with another sex. If this kicks up any kind of controversy at all I will be extremely disappointed in whoever stokes the flames.

Because god forbid fans of an established character that's been around longer than many of us have been alive, get angry at Marvel for messing with said beloved character in the name of publicity and scoring points with the SJW crowd.

And one more thing; I don't get this whole "Thor is the title" thing. Thor isn't a title, it's his name. The guy's name is Thor, his title is "God of Thunder."
Uses the term SJW unironically.

It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Screw women amiright?

Dec 14, 2009
Redryhno said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:

Don't be an ass Daystar. If you're going to ignore and mock someone's grievances, at least just leave it at ignore and mock them in private instead of this kind of crap.
You mean the grievance that Marvel, a comic company known for convoluted shit, just like every other comic book company, can't somehow make a an established character female because of reasons? And when it does, it's to appease the 'SJW' crowd?

You mean that grievance?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Fappy said:
This. But I wouldn't be surprised if did though. -.- this is the internet after all.

Also.

new KlK avatar, is the real last EP out yet? o_o where can find?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:

Thor Odinson to be precise.

What's more is Thor still exists in this paradigm. It's just some girl wielding his power and borrowing his name.

Like I said, we already complain about female heroes just having a male name slapped on and yet somehow we're OK with writers not even bothering doing that? Weird.

It's also particularly bad with Thor. This isn't just a comic character, this is a 2,000 year old character of human lore.

Why not just bring Sif or some unique and badass female to the forefront? Why do this? They aren't even giving the legitimate female characters a shot. It's like the only way they know how to add characters is to clone existing ones and slap breasts on them. People should honestly be even madder at this, because they don't get it.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:

Were in a different mood, I'd be inclined to sarcastically agree with you.

Since I'm not, there's a WORLD of difference between "making comics accessible and friendly to female readers" and "alienating everyone else because a bunch of spoiled special snowflakes stamped their feet and shook their fists."

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
LoL... I would think an inscription that was gender neutral would be the smart move, but whatever.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Lightknight said:
Why not just bring Sif or some unique and badass female to the forefront? Why do this? They aren't even giving the legitimate female characters a shot. It's like the only way they know how to add characters is to clone existing ones and slap breasts on them. People should honestly be even madder at this, because they don't get it.
Sif actually has been the main leading heroine for some time in the "Journey into Mystery" series.

It's been a pretty entertaining read.

Dec 14, 2009
Machine Man 1992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:

Were in a different mood, I'd be inclined to sarcastically agree with you.

Since I'm not, there's a WORLD of difference between "making comics accessible and friendly to female readers" and "alienating everyone else because a bunch of spoiled special snowflakes stamped their feet and shook their fists."
Because calling out the only reason why they would make Thor a woman as 'dem SJWs', isn't alienating everyone else because a bunch of spoiled special snowflakes stamped their feet and shook their fists?

Gotcha.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Trishbot said:
Lightknight said:
Sif actually has been the main leading heroine for some time in the "Journey into Mystery" series.

It's been a pretty entertaining read.
Journey into Mystery is one of Marvel's best books in my opinion. Though they have announced they are ending that, which is lame.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Machine Man 1992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:

I don't know how many times I have explained this, but "Thor" was a title of sorts when the character was first adapted into comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Dr. Don Blake "became" Thor when he made contact with Mjolnir. Since then, it's been tradition to have characters "become Thor" when the true artifact is either incapacitated or incapable of wielding the hammer. It's kind of dumb, sure, but it has tons of presidence. It's a tradition that has decades of history backing it up. Why do you think the phrase on the hammer says what it does in the first place?

Lightknight said:
Machine Man 1992 said:

Thor Odinson to be precise.

What's more is Thor still exists in this paradigm. It's just some girl wielding his power and borrowing his name.

Like I said, we already complain about female heroes just having a male name slapped on and yet somehow we're OK with writers not even bothering doing that? Weird.

It's also particularly bad with Thor. This isn't just a comic character, this is a 2,000 year old character of human lore.

First off, as someone already pointed out Sif does have her own book (last time I was reading Journey into Mystery anyhow). Also, Marvel's Thor has become so much its own thing that he hardly even resembles the mythological character he is based on. Sure, they take inspiration for the actual norse mythology, but inspiration is where it ends. Marvel's Thor is very much Marvel's Thor.

As for your primary grievance, I don't have an issue with a woman taking up his mantle. It could be a fun read, after all. I do, however, believe this to be financially motivated considering the comic industry's history with such stunts before. This is less about "appeasing SJWs" and more about making a quick buck on a novelty issue #1.

Lunar Templar said:
Fappy said:
This. But I wouldn't be surprised if did though. -.- this is the internet after all.

Also.

new KlK avatar, is the real last EP out yet? o_o where can find?
It's out. You should be able to find links for English subs on the Kill la Kill subreddit. Crunchyroll doesn't stream OVA's for some reason.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Redryhno said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:

Don't be an ass Daystar. If you're going to ignore and mock someone's grievances, at least just leave it at ignore and mock them in private instead of this kind of crap.
You mean the grievance that Marvel, a comic company known for convoluted shit, just like every other comic book company, can't somehow make a an established character female because of reasons? And when it does, it's to appease the 'SJW' crowd?

You mean that grievance?
See, that's an actual response. What was so hard about typing that instead of the condescending shit you responded to MachineMan with?

Then again, Marvel's rarely hyped up any of the other Thor stand-in's like this before, haven't they? "Deaths" have always been a big thing though And hell, even the gay marriage thing, which I sorta consider more progressive than this shite, only got like a month of build-up to it and then was promptly forgotten. We've been getting news about this damn thing since May, stop it already.