Marvel Giving Thor's Hammer New Female Friendly Inscription

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
anthony87 said:
"Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

There. Nice and non-specific ^_^
But then it would take two people to wield the hammer.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Skeleon said:
To me it'd seem more sensible to change it to:
"Whosoever holds this hammer, if worthy, shall possess the power of Thor"
I'm not a native speaker, but I think it wouldn't be wrong, would it? Alternatively, have it say "if they be worthy" or something else that's neutral?

Nope that works perfectly well. I think "Whosever is worthy to hold this hammer, shall possess the power of Thor" flows ever so /slightly/ better, but you could easilly argue in favour of your sentence.

Personally, I'm going with gender neutral being better. This just stinks of "LOOK LOOK WE MADE THOR A SHE, LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE, "SHE" IS ON THE HAMMER AND EVERYTHING!!!!11!" Making Thor a she is a massive stunt, good old Chris Hemsworth'll be back to being God of Thunder in no time. I still don't like the fact that they've decided that "Thor" is the title, not "The God(ess) of Thunder". Thor is his name, not his title or his assumed name for fuck sake.

El Comandante

Jul 31, 2013
This is an outrage, there are no runes at all! ^^
Also it makes no sens in german (and english I think).
"He, who wrote this (without using the Futhark), shall be punished!"

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
because man no longer means mankind

also, I'm more offended that the inscription is in English!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
anthony87 said:
"Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

There. Nice and non-specific ^_^
But then it would take two people to wield the hammer.
Or someone with four hands so it looks like two people are holding it....

Goro to be the next next Thor!!!!

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Machine Man 1992 said:
Because god forbid fans of an established character that's been around longer than many of us have been alive, get angry at Marvel for messing with said beloved character in the name of publicity and scoring points with the SJW crowd.

And one more thing; I don't get this whole "Thor is the title" thing. Thor isn't a title, it's his name. The guy's name is Thor, his title is "God of Thunder."
Marvel has been messing with "beloved characters" since the characters existed. Spider-man is replaced by his clone, Ironman is replaced by his teenage self from the past, Captain America is replaced by U.S.Agent, Doctor Strange is replaced by Brother Voodoo. This isn't the first time Thor has been replaced by someone else who took on the title of Thor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderstrike_(Eric_Masterson).

It seems to me that the only significant difference between this new storyline and the one from 1988 is that the replacement Thor this time is a woman.

By dumping the old character it gives a nice starting point for new readers to join the series without having to learn all the convoluted backstories most comic characters have developed over the years. That is until the old characters inevitable return.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Nazrel said:
Contrary to common misconception "He" is not a masculine pronoun, it's gender neutral. Where as "She" is a feminine pronoun.

This is why "he" is used for unknown or ambiguous individuals; when referring to a specific individuals the assumption of masculinity is made, though it would also be an appropriate term to be used for an entity without a Male/Female gender.

My point here is that ironically, Mjolnir has now gone from saying it's gender inclusive to that it's gender exclusive.

Given the intent behind the move I find this hilarious.
This is literally the first I have heard of this.

Words mean what the general populace says they mean. It's one of the reasons I'm so fed up about this whole feminism/MRA/SJW mess. No one agrees what the words mean, which means they have no meaning.

No one uses "he" as gender neutral anymore (if they ever did, I haven't bothered to check), just like no one uses "gay" as a synonym for "happy" anymore. No dictionary will change this. A dictionary reflects the speakers of a language, not the other way around. That's why "literally" now officially means both "not figuratively" and "figuratively".

When people say "he", they refer to a male person, or a person they assume is male. Brand me whatever you like, any time I've seen someone called out for using male pronouns in place of gender-neutral ones, I've seen them correct themselves or defend their assumption, not their interpretation of the word "he". Defend your interpretation all you like, it's meaningless if an insignificant amount of people agree with it.

Reading back over this post, I may have gotten a bit ranty over what amounts to very little. Seeing people act like their interpretation of a word is the only valid one just gets to me. Sorry.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Fappy said:
Mjolnir is magical. I don't think it's all that unbelievable that it can change the pronoun etched on it when it comes into contact with another sex. If this kicks up any kind of controversy at all I will be extremely disappointed in whoever stokes the flames.
The inscription thing is completely beside the point, the reason to resist this is what is (imo) stifling of creativity. Instead of creating a new, worthwhile hero, with her own powers from Asgard (honestly, not only the men were mighty in that lore) they just give Thor boobs. Because boobs.

Its sad and unnecessary, and to me about as retarded as making Wonder Woman into Wonder Man. What is the point?

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Baresark said:
LoL... I would think an inscription that was gender neutral would be the smart move, but whatever.
I think the she thing is better than "if they be worthy". It owns the change more.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
castlewise said:
Baresark said:
LoL... I would think an inscription that was gender neutral would be the smart move, but whatever.
I think the she thing is better than "if they be worthy". It owns the change more.
Eh, while that is true, is that not the same issue as when it said "He" but in reverse. Since the wielder of the Mjolnir does not inherently have a gender specific requirement, a non-gender specific word just makes more sense. That said, as someone else pointed out, it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a weapon like Mjolnir to change the inscription to meet the wielder.

Edit: I also don't think this change is permanent, but we'll see.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
tzimize said:
Fappy said:
Mjolnir is magical. I don't think it's all that unbelievable that it can change the pronoun etched on it when it comes into contact with another sex. If this kicks up any kind of controversy at all I will be extremely disappointed in whoever stokes the flames.
The inscription thing is completely beside the point, the reason to resist this is what is (imo) stifling of creativity. Instead of creating a new, worthwhile hero, with her own powers from Asgard (honestly, not only the men were mighty in that lore) they just give Thor boobs. Because boobs.

Its sad and unnecessary, and to me about as retarded as making Wonder Woman into Wonder Man. What is the point?
Screw the lore, use your own damn continuity with some names and references to the original, that's all this is at this point! As people have mentioned, Sif can be prominent (and apparently has her own series), you can pull names from the stories if you feel like, there are plenty. (Hela, Skadi, Frigga, Freya, Brynhild, just off the top of my head, the last one being a Valkyrie)

Actually, are there Valkyries?

In any case, yeah, if you want "mythos-references", you've got plenty of stuff to use. I'll admit not to knowing the Marvel Universe well enough to know which have been mentioned already, but either way.

OT: Well, it's pretty cool to show off Mjolnir changing based on its wielder, that's for certain. I'm not a comic-book person, so this is still just a side-lines thing for me with these news posts, but I hope it ends up being serviceable.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
tzimize said:
Fappy said:

Dude, you're taking about an industry that has a Marvel Universe where they replaced everyone as Zombies, Clones, and Animals. And it's the turn into a woman that's stifling creativity? Marvel does this all the time. Hell, I suspect within 6 months, Thor will come back and this new lady will either die or become a different Super-Hero or villain like EVERY OTHER TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED!

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
xaszatm said:
tzimize said:
Fappy said:

Dude, you're taking about an industry that has a Marvel Universe where they replaced everyone as Zombies, Clones, and Animals. And it's the turn into a woman that's stifling creativity? Marvel does this all the time. Hell, I suspect within 6 months, Thor will come back and this new lady will either die or become a different Super-Hero or villain like EVERY OTHER TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED!
Oh, I know that all too well. Which is all the more reason to resist it. Someday they might discover that good characters and interesting stories might be all thats needed for success.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I sort of wonder why Marvel didn't go with "they," but I think Fappy put it best:

Fappy said:
However, I fully expect controversy.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
DaWaffledude said:
Nazrel said:
Contrary to common misconception "He" is not a masculine pronoun, it's gender neutral. Where as "She" is a feminine pronoun.

This is why "he" is used for unknown or ambiguous individuals; when referring to a specific individuals the assumption of masculinity is made, though it would also be an appropriate term to be used for an entity without a Male/Female gender.

My point here is that ironically, Mjolnir has now gone from saying it's gender inclusive to that it's gender exclusive.

Given the intent behind the move I find this hilarious.
This is literally the first I have heard of this.

Words mean what the general populace says they mean. It's one of the reasons I'm so fed up about this whole feminism/MRA/SJW mess. No one agrees what the words mean, which means they have no meaning.

No one uses "he" as gender neutral anymore (if they ever did, I haven't bothered to check), just like no one uses "gay" as a synonym for "happy" anymore. No dictionary will change this. A dictionary reflects the speakers of a language, not the other way around. That's why "literally" now officially means both "not figuratively" and "figuratively".

When people say "he", they refer to a male person, or a person they assume is male. Brand me whatever you like, any time I've seen someone called out for using male pronouns in place of gender-neutral ones, I've seen them correct themselves or defend their assumption, not their interpretation of the word "he". Defend your interpretation all you like, it's meaningless if an insignificant amount of people agree with it.

Reading back over this post, I may have gotten a bit ranty over what amounts to very little. Seeing people act like their interpretation of a word is the only valid one just gets to me. Sorry.
I was thinking exactly what Nazrel was saying.

I mean I painfully remember fellow students asking the teacher/professor this same question every single year. They would always get the same answer, "He" for male or neutral or unknown and "She" for female.

I disliked this idea at first, but I like it more considering it's more of an empowerment scene. Like she grabs the hammer and then the inscription changes to recognize its new master, not like it was always that way.

Mind you I love the idea of a female Thor. I still like the idea of a female Link.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Focusing a couple panels to point out this sounds as gimmicky as this whole stunt is gimmicky, like Marvel answering people's complains by focusing on the most mundane ones...

I don't have an issue with the new wielder being a woman, I have an issue with Marvel trying to act like its the same character, by calling her Thor. Others pointed out its not the first time mjolnir has changed hands, yet no one called Storm, Rogue or Beta Ray Bill "Thor"... acting like now its meant to be a title is just dumb.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
I sort of wonder why Marvel didn't go with "they," but I think Fappy put it best:

Fappy said:
The answer is simple, we just need Mjolnir to be wielded by a genderless character. Is there one of those in marvel that isn't some kind of horrible cosmic entity? I'm not familiar enough. actually screw it, give Mjolnir to the space demon.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Fappy said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Fappy, we're on the internet.

Of course people are going to get angry. People are stupid.
Because god forbid fans of an established character that's been around longer than many of us have been alive, get angry at Marvel for messing with said beloved character in the name of publicity and scoring points with the SJW crowd.

And one more thing; I don't get this whole "Thor is the title" thing. Thor isn't a title, it's his name. The guy's name is Thor, his title is "God of Thunder."
I don't know how many times I have explained this, but "Thor" was a title of sorts when the character was first adapted into comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Dr. Don Blake "became" Thor when he made contact with Mjolnir. Since then, it's been tradition to have characters "become Thor" when the true artifact is either incapacitated or incapable of wielding the hammer. It's kind of dumb, sure, but it has tons of presidence. It's a tradition that has decades of history backing it up. Why do you think the phrase on the hammer says what it does in the first place?

Lightknight said:
Machine Man 1992 said:

Thor Odinson to be precise.

What's more is Thor still exists in this paradigm. It's just some girl wielding his power and borrowing his name.

Like I said, we already complain about female heroes just having a male name slapped on and yet somehow we're OK with writers not even bothering doing that? Weird.

It's also particularly bad with Thor. This isn't just a comic character, this is a 2,000 year old character of human lore.

Why not just bring Sif or some unique and badass female to the forefront? Why do this? They aren't even giving the legitimate female characters a shot. It's like the only way they know how to add characters is to clone existing ones and slap breasts on them. People should honestly be even madder at this, because they don't get it.
First off, as someone already pointed out Sif does have her own book (last time I was reading Journey into Mystery anyhow). Also, Marvel's Thor has become so much its own thing that he hardly even resembles the mythological character he is based on. Sure, they take inspiration for the actual norse mythology, but inspiration is where it ends. Marvel's Thor is very much Marvel's Thor.

As for your primary grievance, I don't have an issue with a woman taking up his mantle. It could be a fun read, after all. I do, however, believe this to be financially motivated considering the comic industry's history with such stunts before. This is less about "appeasing SJWs" and more about making a quick buck on a novelty issue #1.

Lunar Templar said:
Fappy said:
This. But I wouldn't be surprised if did though. -.- this is the internet after all.

Also.

new KlK avatar, is the real last EP out yet? o_o where can find?
It's out. You should be able to find links for English subs on the Kill la Kill subreddit. Crunchyroll doesn't stream OVA's for some reason.
who other then donald blake has been thor? becouse from what i can find donald blake seems to be thor without his memory and placed in a crippled body.
nvm i managed to find a few

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Methodia Chicken said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

Fappy said:
The answer is simple, we just need Mjolnir to be wielded by a genderless character. Is there one of those in marvel that isn't some kind of horrible cosmic entity? I'm not familiar enough. actually screw it, give Mjolnir to the space demon.
We need to give Mjolnir to a ship is what needs to happen. A ship that identifies with "boat" being its primary pronoun.

"Whatever holds this hammer, if boat be sea-worthy, shall possess the power of Thor"

I was really trying to sneak a sailing pun in there, but it's just naut my day for puns.

And then someone could draw it, too...

Yes, it's perfect. Perfect... -drifts off-

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Lizardon said:
Machine Man 1992 said:

Marvel has been messing with "beloved characters" since the characters existed. Spider-man is replaced by his clone, Ironman is replaced by his teenage self from the past, Captain America is replaced by U.S.Agent, Doctor Strange is replaced by Brother Voodoo. This isn't the first time Thor has been replaced by someone else who took on the title of Thor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderstrike_(Eric_Masterson).

It seems to me that the only significant difference between this new storyline and the one from 1988 is that the replacement Thor this time is a woman.

By dumping the old character it gives a nice starting point for new readers to join the series without having to learn all the convoluted backstories most comic characters have developed over the years. That is until the old characters inevitable return.
Which reveals what this was from the start: a publicity stunt meant to cynically draw in more readers and make more money. Only now they're gender swapping the character, so that's "notable" apparently.