Mass Effect 3 DLC Appears on Xbox Live

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Mass Effect 3 DLC Appears on Xbox Live

The pack is called From Ashes, and this bold bit right here is your call to stop reading if you're avoiding spoilers.

I'm sensitive about spoilers; I don't like them. This one isn't exactly massive in that it doesn't relate to any character we've met so far, strictly speaking, but it could still stand as a bit of a wrecking ball for some. It doesn't for me and it might not for you, but I'm all for quarantine zones if you're running one. Have we all made our decision regarding whether or not to read on yet? I hope so. This your last chance to evacuate.

Alright then! Now that we're alone, spoiler friends, here's the deal: on February 20th, a good few weeks prior to Mass Effect 3's March 6th launch date, a day-one DLC pack for the game called From Ashes popped up on the Xbox Live Marketplace. The pack contains a new character - a Prothean, no less - who you can recruit for your battle against the Reapers. How it wound up on Xbox Live early is unknown, though it's probably fair to say that it involved someone somewhere pressing a button at the wrong time.

BioWare's Michael Gamble took to the company's forums [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9382439/8] to acknowledge the blip. "Hi all! We're happy to confirm that Mass Effect 3: From Ashes DLC will be available at launch for all platforms," he wrote. "For those of you who have purchased the N7 Collector's Edition (including the PC Digital Deluxe Edition), you will get this content at no extra charge. We'll have a lot more details for you later this week! Stay tuned!"

One suspects that this Prothean might be legitimately more angry at the Reapers than your average bear; this, in addition to what business a creature whose species has been effectively extinct for 50,000 years has doing on the Normandy, gives plenty of scope for an interesting quest and character. The fact that this pack is a day-one DLC which asks players already shelling out $60 for the apparent full game to pay a little more for the undoubtly very interesting Prothean character isn't quite as sweet, however. (You'll also need an online pass to access the multiplayer; you can watch BioWare Marketing Director David Silverman covering one up with his thumb here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v62pM93iS4A]. Yup.)

So that about covers it, spoiler friends. My pre-ordered copy of Mass Effect 3: The Regular $60 Edition and I will keep an eye out for Gamble's promised "details" on From Ashes over the coming weeks if you're in the mood for more. In the meantime, I'm sure there are a few of you game for a chat about online passes, day-one DLC, and what this means for the market; come say hi.

Update: With thanks to reader a link to a YouTube video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Soviet%20Heavy] which claims to feature our new Prothean friend shouting about power conduits and "cycles," built up of files ripped from the demo. Dude's got a snappy suit too.

Mass Effect 3 will hit shelves on the 6th of March 2012 in North America, and on the 9th of March in Europe.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5887092/mass-effect-3-dlc-pops-up-early-on-xbox-marketplace-spoils-plot-point]

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, that's not of a spoiler. I thought it was one of those DLCs that would take place after you beat the game or something. I mean, yeah, it's surprising but...I don't know. Weh.

Anyway, what good is the DLC right now if you need the actual game to play it? Unless it's a stand-alone DLC?
Either way, I wouldn't have bought it right now. But uhh...it's interesting to see that thing pop up weeks before the release, nonetheless.

And screw day-one DLCs.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
so this is the free character i get with the deluxe version um how is he still alive

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I'd be more surprised if the DLC was available for download BEFORE Mass Effect 3 came out lol

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I got the Digital Deluxe Ed. so it doesn't affect me. One Concern - my ME2 is under a different Origin Account then my ME3 (2 emails don't ask), I hope that doesn't bork my save transfer. I just went back and finished off ME2 and all the DLC in preparation.

Chebs

Jan 14, 2010
Kalezian said:
Unless this Prothean can give a reason to replace Garrus, he need not apply to the Normandy.
Agreed. I bought Kasumi and got Zaeed, but aside from their personal quests, I did jack all with them. It sounds cool, and I'm interested, but interested in a "I'll go dig up a youtube video featuring him" than "I'm going to shell out an extra $10 at launch for it". I'll have Kaidan, my ME romance, and Garrus, my ME 2 romance, and we're going to have awkward conversations and moments galore.

Alpha Centauri

Sep 7, 2009
Oh day 1 DLC, if there was only a way that i could explain my loathing for you, possibly with a British Accent, oh wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G269b4efFUAAAAAAAAAA

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
I've played mass effect 1 and 2 and read three of the books.

But what the hell is a prothean? I have no clue! (I did read, and play the game,a long time ago.)

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
He's also a Jamaican for some reason.

Jah man, we be trippin' on dem reapas man!

Jesus H that's amazing. He sounds insane! Sharp suit too.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
It means I don't buy your game until there's a discount bundle with all the DLC a year from now. Fuck your day one DLC and online passes EA.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
This is really insulting and i hope Bioware and EA get burned for this idiotic decision. Making such a vital and important plot figure a DLC? insulting and disgusting. at least Shale and Zaeed were free, but this? not even a legitimate new purchase user gets this? fuck it.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
From a lore standpoint, I do not want to believe this. The Protheans were entirely wiped out in the previous cycle of genocide. Vigil stated as much in the first game: after the Reapers left, only a dozen scientists remained on Ilos, not enough to repopulate. Vigil killed most of them out of necessity, and the last of them died of starvation.

It makes no sense to have a Prothean character in Mass Effect 3. If this legitimately does exist, there had better be a damn good explanation for it.

Mariner

Sep 27, 2010
This action of putting a lore important character as a optional dlc is disgraceful and all those who support those actions should be burnt on the stake.

Apr 28, 2008
JasonBurnout16 said:
I've played mass effect 1 and 2 and read three of the books.

But what the hell is a prothean? I have no clue! (I did read, and play the game,a long time ago.)
The race the Reapers wiped out 50,000 years ago.

You go to one of their worlds at the end of ME1 (Ilos), meed a Prothean VI, and learn about their last moments from him.

In ME2 you learn that the collectors are heavily modified Protheans.

They're... pretty integral. Kind of surprised you don't know about them.

OT: Basically, what he said:

CounterAttack said:
From a lore standpoint, I do not want to believe this. The Protheans were entirely wiped out in the previous cycle of genocide. Vigil stated as much in the first game: after the Reapers left, only a dozen scientists remained on Ilos, not enough to repopulate. Vigil killed most of them out of necessity, and the last of them died of starvation.

It makes no sense to have a Prothean character in Mass Effect 3. If this legitimately does exist, there had better be a damn good explanation for it.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
*eyeroll* EA/Bioware does it again. Christ do I hate Day 1 DLC. It's so tasteless. >_<

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
This and the people who buy it are what's wrong with gaming these days. Or at least, it's what fuels big publishers like EA and Activision to be complete dicks and ruin franchises.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
CounterAttack said:

It is possible.
a giant water wheel in an underground river,a solar power plant that's still active,etc,etc could probably power a single cryo pod.