Mass Effect 3 DLC Appears on Xbox Live

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
CounterAttack said:
Mydogisblue said:
I'm willing to bet that because this squad member looks like a Collector, the explanation is going to be something like this. Some scientists capture a Collector and "biologically reverse engineer" it's genes or some shit and now it's a Prothean again.
According to the Mass Effect wiki, the Prothean squad member has been in stasis for the past fifty millennia. With that in mind there is undoubtedly some ridiculous reasoning for it being there in the first place. Again, I myself will need to see first-hand to believe.
Ridiculous reasoning indeed. That just makes even less sense as to why it looks like a Collector.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Windu23 said:
The blue women are called Asari. And Thane, a drell, is more reptilian than fish. Moist atmospheres are deadly to them.

And it wasn't just a small thing on one level. It was a pretty big revelation that was heavily discussed for the majority of the latter half of the game.

But this is all rather new for me, so the memory might be fresher.

Also, don't take any of that personally. People fudging details, purposely or not, is a pet peeve of mine.
It's just my memory as I've been playing many other games since I last dabbled with Mass Effect. I'm on Half Life 2 at the moment and, having zero knowledge of the first, have very little clue of what is going on around me. The amount to which I am oblivious would frustrate some gamers I know to no ends.

But don't worry I'm not taking this personally. It's actually good hearing these details, as I was wandering whether to get Mass Effect 3 or not.

The87Italians

Jun 17, 2009
CounterAttack said:
From a lore standpoint, I do not want to believe this. The Protheans were entirely wiped out in the previous cycle of genocide. Vigil stated as much in the first game: after the Reapers left, only a dozen scientists remained on Ilos, not enough to repopulate. Vigil killed most of them out of necessity, and the last of them died of starvation.

It makes no sense to have a Prothean character in Mass Effect 3. If this legitimately does exist, there had better be a damn good explanation for it.
I'm thinking that found him in a cryo pod somewhere deep within the citadel. Probably one of the parts that had been "previously inaccessible" by any species aside from the keepers.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
He's also a Jamaican for some reason.

Jah man, we be trippin' on dem reapas man!
o_O

The most important species to this series lore is SPACE JAMAICANS? D:

OT: To those that want the DLC, just buy it. The collector edition is $20 more than the regular edition, so your going to be saving more money if you just buy the DLC.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
OT: To those that want the DLC, just buy it. The collector edition is $20 more than the regular edition, so your going to be saving more money if you just buy the DLC.
Heh. Maybe for the USA residents. As a New Zealander I would have to pay NZ$170 for the Collector's Edition (which really should be called Reapers' Edition, =P). That's an extra NZ$50 on top of the estimated NZ$120 price tag. So... yeah, to those complaining about price, other people have it worse.

Eviize

Feb 22, 2012
It was enough of a shock to discover that the new squad member would be a Prothean , which are meant to be extinct . But to then go on to find that the voice actor of the Prothean would be Jamaican , made my day.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Hevva said:
Great happiness I do feel! ^^

I've been looking forward to this DLC since it was announced last May.

Also - anyone know how much it costs (in dollars - I'm a PS3 user)? I need to know how big of a pre-paid card to buy.

Edit: People in this thread are saying $10 - is that confirmed?

And yeah, still cheaper than getting the Collector's Edition. And for me, it's only net $5 because I'm getting 5 bucks off the game for preordering (mom-and-pops game store for the win).

Edit 2: Also, to the guys who are freaking out about this (in a bad way)... it was announced in MAY, guys. This is ancient news.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Alpha Centauri said:
Oh day 1 DLC, if there was only a way that i could explain my loathing for you, possibly with a British Accent, oh wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G269b4efFUAAAAAAAAAA
Giving a bump so more people can see this, the worst thing is that I already pre-bought the game cause I thought this wouldn't happen... uggg.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
animehermit said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
Hevva said:

Also - anyone know how much it costs (in dollars - I'm a PS3 user)? I need to know how big of a pre-paid card to buy.

And yeah, still cheaper than getting the Collector's Edition. And for me, it's only net $5 because I'm getting 5 bucks off the game for preordering (mom-and-pops game store for the win).

Edit 2: Also, to the guys who are freaking out about this (in a bad way)... it was announced in MAY, guys. This is ancient news.
People are freaking out for a couple of reasons

1) they think this was content designed and then cut from release because EA wanted to make a buck.

2) because they think it's going to be a major plot point within the game.

So far Bioware has said that the Prothean character isn't important to the overall game and that it was developed by a different team than the one currently working on the game (probably Bioware Montreal).

Also the DLC pack was on the Xbox Live marketplace for 800 MS points which is 10 bucks.

The CE comes with a bunch of different stuff, ranging from art, to the soundtrack and even bonus outfits for people in your squad.
Also are you serious? How is a PROTHEAN not important? The last of a race that is the only reason any of this is possible and is at least 50,000 Years old. If he is somehow not important then I call BS and Chips, a prothean would HAVE to be extremely important as its the only reason the games even exist in the first place, had the Protheans not done anything there would be no game... /wrist

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
If the Prothean is the same as a normal squad mate, then excellent. If its as chatty as Kusami or Zaheed - then im not interested. Also its set on Eden Prime - which is boring. So we will have to see,

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
animehermit said:
Setch Dreskar said:
animehermit said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
Hevva said:

People are freaking out for a couple of reasons

1) they think this was content designed and then cut from release because EA wanted to make a buck.

2) because they think it's going to be a major plot point within the game.

So far Bioware has said that the Prothean character isn't important to the overall game and that it was developed by a different team than the one currently working on the game (probably Bioware Montreal).

Also the DLC pack was on the Xbox Live marketplace for 800 MS points which is 10 bucks.

The CE comes with a bunch of different stuff, ranging from art, to the soundtrack and even bonus outfits for people in your squad.
Also are you serious? How is a PROTHEAN not important? The last of a race that is the only reason any of this is possible and is at least 50,000 Years old. If he is somehow not important then I call BS and Chips, a prothean would HAVE to be extremely important as its the only reason the games even exist in the first place, had the Protheans not done anything there would be no game... /wrist

My guess (and that's all we can do at this point) is that the character really has no bearing on the overall plot of the game. That the DLC mission doesn't really help you fight the reapers in any significant way. All speculation at this point, but this is what Bioware said.
Indeed but the problem is, its a prothean, it has to be important. They can't just bring an exctinct race back, make them a squad member, and have it give no impact on the storyline at all. If it was any other race it would be fine, but a Prothean? They are this uber mythical race that allowed any of this to happen and are supposed to all be dead. Granted the part that will be interesting is how s/he/it survived in the first place. I am not questioning it being a squad member but it somehow having no meaning while still being the single most important race in the Mass Effect universe.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
BioWare DLC, so far, hasn't been much of a letdown. However, it does feel like they're nickel-and-diming us a bit for making us pay for a new character not even before the game's released.

Still, maybe I'm wrong, and maybe this pack was scrapped at first because they didn't think they could get it in, and they couldn't actually put it in the game after they did complete it. Besides, Mass Effect, both its Campaign and Multiplayer, are both so immensely enjoyable I'd gladly shell out $100 for all of it, so I think we'll inevitably buy the pack.

Still, I hope this doesn't end up as some sort of big, red flag to EA saying that they can cut out parts of the game and sell them back to us as DLC. I'm still one of the many people sore about online passes.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
CounterAttack said:
From a lore standpoint, I do not want to believe this. The Protheans were entirely wiped out in the previous cycle of genocide. Vigil stated as much in the first game: after the Reapers left, only a dozen scientists remained on Ilos, not enough to repopulate. Vigil killed most of them out of necessity, and the last of them died of starvation.

It makes no sense to have a Prothean character in Mass Effect 3. If this legitimately does exist, there had better be a damn good explanation for it.
I can think of one right off the top of my head. Take 1 (one) Collector recovered from base wreckage by Cerberus. Add pseudoscience and the incredibly shady research we already know Cerberus is capable of. Poof, decollectorfied prothean.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
David Savage said:
I can think of one right off the top of my head. Take 1 (one) Collector recovered from base wreckage by Cerberus. Add pseudoscience and the incredibly shady research we already know Cerberus is capable of. Poof, decollectorfied prothean.
I've already covered that theory in one of my posts above.

That could never happen. The Protheans that were turned into Collectors were mutated through Reaper technology, already marking them. They also have no intelligence of their own, because they're indoctrinated and have been for so long. Because of the indoctrination damaging their mental functions, they were also given Reaper cybernetics, another method of control (remember Saren at the end of ME1?).

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
JasonBurnout16 said:
I've played mass effect 1 and 2 and read three of the books.

But what the hell is a prothean? I have no clue! (I did read, and play the game,a long time ago.)
Hahahahahahaha, I bet you don't know what a Mass Relay is either xD

OT: This is pretty awesome. Ordered special Edition so I'll be getting it.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Am I the only person who thinks Day One DLC is a good thing?
Yes?
Okay then?

But this DLC is only included in the Collectors Addition {I wonder if pun was intended}
That's a bad thing.

You should always give the Day One DLC to EVERYONE who buys a new copy of the game.
Fuck people who buy used copies though.

I sure hope you're able to talk to this character like Shale or any of the other companions. (None of that Kasumi/Zaeed shit.)