Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Redefines "Epic"

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
JoesshittyOs said:
Okay, sorry this is really bothering me.

I don't get it.
Oh, that. In ME2 when shep tries to convince the council of th reaper threa, the turian Councillor uses 'finger quotes' when he dismisses Sheppard's concerns about the reapers and is generally condescending. Here he's looking out the window of the Citidel to see a huge swarm of Reapers and Shep is apparently giving him a renegade option to get snarky with him about dismissing them before.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Mythrignoc said:
The.Bard said:
So, just out of curiosity, do you go into stores you don't like shopping at, peruse clothes you don't want to buy, and then take time out of your day to write a letter to management telling them about how their offerings stink? cuz it feels that way here.
Your analogy doesn't work. Mass effect isn't the store in this situation, Bioware is. Bioware, which HAS produced great games in the past including Hordes of the Underdark, Shadows of Undrentide, Knights of the Old Republic, and pretty much every baldur's gate game; has thoroughly disappointed me as of late with dragon age and mass effect

Have you ever played a Mass Effect game? It sounds like not, because half of the gameplay is conversational in nature, which means a very large chunk of this trailer IS gameplay. Not all, but most. That you think it's all cutscenes makes me giggle. You has shown up to a biotic fight with omni-gel.
Yes, I have played them, and I know exactly how the games work. Also, I -never- said the game was "all cutscenes," and the idea that you'd get that out of my post shows that you didn't even bother to read.

No, there is a LOT of gameplay to this game, which I am well aware of. My point was that CGI cutscenes are an animators dream because it gives them free reign to do whatever they wish and animate it however they wish, ignoring the fact that things done in the cutscenes are not capable of being done in the regular gameplay as they aren't core features.

I was thoroughly disappointed when this cutscene set me up for some amazing space exploring game and then once I actually got to the crux of the combat and dialog, it was so god awful boring and repetitive that the CGI cutscene did not do the game any good.

This is what's happening in this trailer. The trailer looks phenomenal, but unfortunately it says nothing about the actual gameplay and is more than likely, considering the last two games, going to be a huge disappointment.

Also, I wonder if you can elaborate on cinematography being around to "look cool." Did Schindler's List look cool? It's an art form. Being cool is completely irrelevant unless that is the point of your specific movie. Compared to other video games, the cinematography in this is fantastic.
Cinematography in movies is indeed an art form, but in a game, it shouldn't be. The interaction to the gameplay itself should be the artform and the CGI openings and cutscenes should transition the plot, not BE the plot.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/cutscenes

I point you to Extra Credits on Cutscenes.

I don't think that cutscenes should be done away with entirely, but they need to be toned down.

Regarding not showing how the game plays, there are a SLEW of trailers for ME3 already showcasing all kinds of gameplay features, which you probably would have seen if you even half-cared about this game. The specific purpose of a launch trailer is to whip the fan base up into a frenzy. And on that level, it is a resounding success. This is the most positive Bioware energy I have seen around here in months, aside from gatecrashers like you. ;P
Fair enough, no I haven't seen the other trailers and didn't even know about them. But it's as you said, it's because I don't have high expectations for this game considering the last two flops.

BTW, just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's good. I point you to another triple feature title that does incredibly well at the box office and yet is still, if you were a fan of the series beforehand, easily the most retarded crap I've ever seen. Transformers, directed by the toddler in film making, Michael Bay.

As far as the quote, think about it and it makes a lot of sense. You are on a plane plummeting out of the sky. Your buddy is scared of heights, and terrified to jump. You turn to him and say "if you aren't willing to die by jumping, then you are already dead.". So yea, quote makes sense.
I've often wondered what the thought process behind the argument "Think about it" is. It provides no contextual clarity to the argument itself and when the argument is about whether something makes sense or not, context is everything.

You give context by adding the two words "By jumping," and it changes the semantic meaning of the ENTIRE phrase.

John Sheppard did not do this, and therefore the statement itself is a mild paradox akin to "Damned if you do and damned if you don't." The sentence doesn't bolster courage, it tells you you're fucked no matter what you do. It's not a well construed line, it's a half assed delivery from a mediocre voice actor and they couldn't even make the line sound remotely inspiring.

It just feels like you're the guy who wants to walk out into the confetti party after the Super Bowl and complain about how football sucks. And I honestly wonder how it's even worth your time; go find a game you love and hang out on its epic launch trailer board.
As I said beforehand, it's because I used to like bioware and it infuriates me that they get away with substandard material. Your analogy would make more sense to say "If I liked football but this particular superbowl sucked."

So in closing, Mass Effect is the one game series where these trailers are not only justified, but can truly be said to be showing off gameplay elements. The quote works, we all rejoice, and you can go secretly buy the game next week, love it, and tell nobody of your secret. Seeeeecret. 8)
Why would I buy the third game in a series I don't own the first or second to? This last paragraph of yours demonstrates cockiness and the inability to present me with an actual reason for liking this game.

But meh, you may be, in a way, right. There's no way I'm going to convince a thread full of people who love mass effect to even think twice about what's actually going on so I won't bother anymore.
Alright! For starters, my hats off to you. Your original post felt like just another Bioware hater crashing the party with minimal working knowledge of the series. Clearly not the case, so I apologize if my comments were dismissive. I'll admit, your wrote far too much for me to get into, but you're willing to chat and defend your points. How can I not honor such a worthy adversary with a reply? I like to keep my things shorts, so your original reply is in a big fat honking spoiler tag; everything else will be ripped out of context. Let's begin!

Your analogy doesn't work.
It does in my mind; I chose a poor example. I hate Metal Gear Solid. So going to a MGS board to complain about how stupid the new game looks seems like a big fat waste of my time.

Also, I -never- said the game was "all cutscenes," and the idea that you'd get that out of my post shows that you didn't even bother to read.
I am many things, but a non-reader isn't one of them. Your original post said:

these games all had fantastic opening cutscenes, but...
Cutscenes do not define a game...
It's NOT presented as a trailer for an interactive media, ala a video game...
These, coupled with talk of how the interactive gameplay elements weren't there, led me to the conclusion you were referring to the trailer as all cutscene. That may not have been where you were going, but there was enough evidence for me to plausibly draw the line that way. I'll apologize for the giggle if you apologize for calling me illitetererate.

My point was that CGI cutscenes are an animators dream because it gives them free reign to do whatever they wish and animate it however they wish, ignoring the fact that things done in the cutscenes are not capable of being done in the regular gameplay as they aren't core features.
I see where, you're going, but (there's always a but!) - unless my memory fails me - most of this was not cgi, but video entirely done in-engine. And during the course of the "conversational" aspect of gameplay.

The trailer looks phenomenal, but unfortunately it says nothing about the actual gameplay and is more than likely, considering the last two games, going to be a huge disappointment.
I politely disagree with your debbie downer attitude considering you haven't actually played it. Can you at least wait to hate until AFTER you've played it? For all the whining people have done over the multiplayer in this game, I've lost over 25 hrs to the demo. It's FANTASTIC. My friends and I can't stop playing it to the point we're contemplating doing multiplayer before the campaign. If you only knew how INSANE that would have sounded a month ago to me.

Point is, you are only allowed to hate it AFTER you finish your ME3 campaign & brussel sprouts!

I've often wondered what the thought process behind the argument "Think about it" is. It provides no contextual clarity to the argument itself and when the argument is about whether something makes sense or not, context is everything.
I'll agree with you about context being key, which makes me wonder why you criticize the line to begin with. If we agree context is everything, then you are given no context for the original line. What if Mordin had just told Shepard. "I'm not going down there to fix that piece of machinery you need. I'll die!"

Shepard then says his line, insinuating that if the crew isn't willing to give up their lives for the fight, the bad guys have already won and they are effectively walking corpses.

But I'm only giving potential context for it. I'll get back to you when I see how it plays out.

Cinematography in movies is indeed an art form, but in a game, it shouldn't be. The interaction to the gameplay itself should be the artform and the CGI openings and cutscenes should transition the plot, not BE the plot.
This goes back to my misunderstanding you over how much of the launch trailer is non-interactive cutscenes. I have no numbers, but a very very small amount of the game is CGI cutscenes. You are almost ALWAYS making choices to direct it, even in the few scenes with the CG. In ME1, you weren't WATCHING the space fight w/ Sovereign at the end. You were directing the combat through your choices. If you consider THAT to be a cutscene, then I wholeheartedly disagree with you in the most rude a manner possible. By blowing my nose at you and what not.

Why would I buy the third game in a series I don't own the first or second to? This last paragraph of yours demonstrates cockiness and the inability to present me with an actual reason for liking this game.
Actually, the last paragraph demonstrates my desire to be funny. Cocky? No. But on the internet, the people who constantly ***** about games are usually there on day one slurping it up with a straw. As mentioned above, I can see now you're not one of them, but still... you don't own ME1 or ME2? Why are you here?? Go do what you love, man!

But meh, you may be, in a way, right. There's no way I'm going to convince a thread full of people who love mass effect to even think twice about what's actually going on so I won't bother anymore.
See, this is why I was dismissive earlier. You're judging. You're being a judgy mcjudgerson. So, what are you saying, exactly? That if we "thought twice," we would come to the one almighty conclusion that the game sucks? Really? Who is the cocky one now? Awwwwwwwwww, SLAM!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
SurfinTaxt said:
Check out what happens if you romanced Tali here (warning, this will piss people off):
The big thing that's probably gonna piss a lot of people off is that when Shepard makes his choice - whatever that may be - he experiences three flashbacks of the most important people in his life. The first is always Joker, the second is Hackett and the third is Shepard's love interest.
Assuming your love interest is Ashley, Kaidan or Liara.
That's right. A lot of Talimancers are gonna be might pissed off when Liara's dumb face shows up instead of their waifu. I'm told there was a problem implementing the other LIs, so they just shipped it as is. So if you romanced Tali, Garrus, Cortez, Traynor, Miranda, Thane, Kelly or JACOB then fuck you, says Bioware.
LOL WOW. Now THAT is a pretty big "woopsie!"
So, provided you pick the character that "most people" pick, you're fine!
If you pick the character that "most people" do not pick, then
SurfinTaxt said:
fuck you, says Bioware.