Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Redefines "Epic"

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
"If you're not ready to die, you're already dead." Paraphrasing but... really? That ranks up there with "We fight or we die, that's the plan". Nope, that's what you do when all of your plans and back-up plans have failed and you have nothing left. Can we tell that Bioware's lead writer quit yet?

Okay, okay. It does look suitably epic and supposedly they fixed all the mistakes from ME2 (haven't seen any sign of that in the ME3 demo yet...) So it is still worth... downloading :)
While I don't presume to know, yet, the way I interpreted that line was 'the only chance we have is for all of us to put aside all our differences and fight. There's no surrendering to the Reapers, we have nothing to offer them but our lives. So unless every single being in the Galaxy that knows one end of a gun from the other is willing to fight to their last breath, rather than try and run or make a deal with the Reapers, then there's no hope for any of us.'

Bit of a long-winded explanation for such a short line I know, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: In other News. Motivational speech from Garrus. How can so few seconds of dialogue contain so much win?!

Jul 9, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Nimzabaat said:
"If you're not ready to die, you're already dead." Paraphrasing but... really? That ranks up there with "We fight or we die, that's the plan". Nope, that's what you do when all of your plans and back-up plans have failed and you have nothing left. Can we tell that Bioware's lead writer quit yet?

Okay, okay. It does look suitably epic and supposedly they fixed all the mistakes from ME2 (haven't seen any sign of that in the ME3 demo yet...) So it is still worth... downloading :)
While I don't presume to know, yet, the way I interpreted that line was 'the only chance we have is for all of us to put aside all our differences and fight. There's no surrendering to the Reapers, we have nothing to offer them but our lives. So unless every single being in the Galaxy that knows one end of a gun from the other is willing to fight to their last breath, rather than try and run or make a deal with the Reapers, then there's no hope for any of us.'

Bit of a long-winded explanation for such a short line I know, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: In other News. Motivational speech from Garrus. How can so few seconds of dialogue contain so much win?!
Because Garrus's voice actor is amazing. The line itself would not have worked without it, I think.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
People can you do me a favor? STOP POSTING SPOILERS ON EVERYTHING MASS EFFECT RELATED! SOME OF US ARE TRYING TO AVOID THEM!

Mythrignoc

Oct 17, 2009
Ugh...I hope I'm not the only one unimpressed by the overly used hyped-up fancy trailer to show off an otherwise mediocre game that features absolutely none of the trailer incorporated into the actual gameplay itself.

Cinematography is there to look cool, so yes if you like mass effect you're gonna drool over this despite the fact that it means absolutely nothing to the game itself, it gives us no insight into how the interface is going to work and what gameplay mechanics there are.

Hellgate London, Final Fantasy XIII, Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, these games all had fantastic opening cutscenes, and yet were at best mediocre games and at worst unbelievably boring.

Cutscenes do not define a game, and they shouldn't. This is a trailer for a movie, at least that's how it's presented. It's NOT presented as a trailer for an interactive media, ala a video game.

I won't go into huge detail picking apart individual straws in this thing except for one part. "You need to be willing to die or you're already dead," is easily one of the most retarded things I've ever heard anyone say.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
krellen said:
I was expecting something more.

I remember Mass Effect when it wasn't a hyped actiony thriller. Y'know, the Mass Effect I cared about? This looks like Call of Duty in space.

I think I really am too old for video games.
The only difference between this trailer and you know an original Mass Effect trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJuJTIus7U&feature=related] is a higher budget.

I think people just like to complain.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
I'm excited for the game, but the closer it gets the more I dread that it's going to get a heavy dose of DA2 injected in its ass... The more I see, the more it seems like EA is taking too much control of the game (and I'm not talking about the DLC. I actually don't care about that all too much).

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Lacsapix said:
the trailer is awsome...
**here comes the "but"**
But lets not forget that explosions and sex is not what made mass effect great, it goes far deeper then that.
Well, yeah... There were also space ships, obviously.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
This is becoming the best ME3 thread/article, and a lot of that work is because of you.

Thank you, sir. Thank you.
Caution Spoiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aGL9b0i_tpI

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
BaronIveagh said:
ZeroMachine said:
This is becoming the best ME3 thread/article, and a lot of that work is because of you.

Caution Spoiler

So, what you're trying to say is, "herp derp, im gonna troll".

Yeah. Ok buddy.

Have fun with that whole "not ever being funny" thing.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
ZeroMachine said:

Yeah. Ok buddy.

No, if I was going to troll you, I'd have suggested that your mother smelt of elderberries. The point is that you should not believe the hype at this point. Because that's what they're after is to drown out the fact the game was already leaked, you can download and play it, and, in the opinion of quite a few, it sucks.

That might not be your opinion, but there it is.

That and the fact that Andy's response to it tells us that he's about as impartial as Fox News.

News should be just that, Andy, you report the events. It's up to us to decide if it's epic or not.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
BaronIveagh said:
ZeroMachine said:

Yeah. Ok buddy.

No, if I was going to troll you, I'd have suggested that your mother smelt of elderberries. The point is that you should not believe the hype at this point. Because that's what they're after is to drown out the fact the game was already leaked, you can download and play it, and, in the opinion of quite a few, it sucks.

That might not be your opinion, but there it is.

That and the fact that Andy's response to it tells us that he's about as impartial as Fox News.

News should be just that, Andy, you report the events. It's up to us to decide if it's epic or not.
First, saying my mom drinks isn't trolling. It's an immature school yard insult, not to mention a Monty Python reference, so... not even an ORIGINAL school yard insult. *tsk tsk*

Second, your the fact that you decide to do this by posting a spoiler like that, is above and beyond all else, trolling. It's posting something that will obviously piss people off in order to garner an incendiary response. Nice try.

Third, has it not been made obvious that this isn't just a straight up news site? EVERYONE gives their opinions in their articles here. Seriously. It's been a thing since before you joined. What the hell, man. Pay attention.

Fourth, in case you haven't seen this thread, most people say that they agree that it's epic. So you also lose there.

Fifth, people also said that Dragon Age 2 sucked. And I loved that game.

So there.

*sticks tongue out*

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Dr Snakeman said:
]That will be cool, but this is what I'm really waiting for:
Same. Here. That and the chance to make it a hat trick of... well, of this:

Seriously, if she shows up again for a third knuckle sandwich, I might just die of laughter.

Does that make me a bad person?
She probably will, although, personally I don't care if she shows up or not. I'm hoping there's an option to punch Jessica Chobot's character.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
First, saying my mom drinks isn't trolling. It's an immature school yard insult, not to mention a Monty Python reference, so... not even an ORIGINAL school yard insult. *tsk tsk*
I fart in your general direction!

ZeroMachine said:
Third, has it not been made obvious that this isn't just a straight up news site? EVERYONE gives their opinions in their articles here. Seriously. It's been a thing since before you joined. What the hell, man. Pay attention.

Ah, Journalism. The supposed business where facts are reported. We have dismissed these claims.

Sorry, I only come here for Zero Punctuation, which, being a review, is supposed to be opinion.

ZeroMachine said:
Fourth, in case you haven't seen this thread, most people say that they agree that it's epic. So you also lose there.

Fifth, people also said that Dragon Age 2 sucked. And I loved that game.
LOL You should see what got said about it on BSN. It'd peel your eyebrows off.

And, again, opinion.

Maybe I should start an actual game news site. I mean, seriously, they're all like this: 'THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EPIC LOAD OF ADVERTISING DOLLARS WE GOT FROM THEM'

I should start a real game news site that focuses on the story and the facts rather then aggregating from other sites and posting OP ed pieces.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Bantis said:
"Go out there and give them hell. You were born for this."

Those type of cheesy, action movie over the top lines usually make me roll my eyes, but I have to say the guy who plays Garrus delivered that perfectly. Awesome.
I agree, cheesy line but damn well delivered, mind you we also all know Garus and Shepard at this stage, so the damn good delivery is also aided by our solid emotional investment in the character.

Gotta admit, im psyched :)

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
The only difference between this trailer and you know an original Mass Effect trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJuJTIus7U&feature=related] is a higher budget.

I think people just like to complain.
I didn't watch trailers for the original Mass Effect. I just bought a game, which doesn't bare much resemblance to either of its sequels.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
BaronIveagh said:
ZeroMachine said:

Caution Spoiler

Advice, if you want to talk about spoilers make a thread about them. I'm tired of seeing them on every ME thread I go to. I'm trying to avoid them and temptation is getting the better if me.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
And here I thought that The Avengers trailer would be the most epic trailer I've seen this year.

Well,this tops that.The goosebumps and spine chills I got from watching this undescribable(prolly typo on that word?).

9th March can't come soon enough.I hope I have time to finish 2 more saves(10 total)in the coming days to be fully prepared for this.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
erttheking said:
Advice, if you want to talk about spoilers make a thread about them. I'm tired of seeing them on every ME thread I go to. I'm trying to avoid them and temptation is getting the better if me.
*shrug* The game is already out for all intents and purposes. The pirates have had it since Thursday, apparently. It's just that game 'news' sites don't consider a major game leaked a week in advance news anymore or something.

However, I won't post anymore spoiler vids on this thread. And will try to keep from saying any.