Mass Effect 3 PC will require Orgin

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Damn. I was at least holding out under the hope that I would be able to play Mass Effect 3 on its own. I don't care if it's on steam or not, I just refuse to install origin onto my computer. Unless they change this, and make the game so it does not require origin, I won't be getting it.

Shame, I was really hoping I would be able to play this one, but I stand by my convictions. I will NOT install origin, and I will NOT play any origin exclusive titles. Ever.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
It really doesn't bother me. I bought BF3 for PC, and had to install Origin. Now I haven't played BF3 in weeks, but Origin hasn't given me any problems yet. I doubt it will be different for ME3.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Origin didn't stop me from getting Battlefield 3 and it won't stop my pre-order of the CE edition of Mass Effect 3. However, I have no intention what so ever to support EA further than my absolute favorite franshises. Too bad, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning looked promising.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
If this was some other game, I'd simply skip it (just as I skip everything from Ubisoft on general principle). However, since it's the last Mass Effect game, I'll still buy it. However, I'll be cracking my copy to work without Origin. Yes, I'll have to rely on Pirates to avoid spyware. The irony isn't lost on me.

But Mass Effect 3 aside, this worries me. EA holds a few studios I like (Bioware being the most prominent), I don't enjoy the idea of having to pass up on games I want to avoid supporting business practices I disapprove of. I already have to do that (avoiding Ubisoft means skipping Anno 2070, Heroes 6, AssCreed series), I don't like making that list longer.

I suppose I'll have to make exceptions and then do what I can to avoid Origin...

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Did anyone write "No shit" yet? After the whole BF3 will require Origin deal, I pretty much figured that was gonna include any future games, stupid stupid people, try as they might, they will never topple steam, you're just making people install another piece of software that was completely unnecessary. Games would update just fine before with no third part software having to be installed.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I prefer to get all my games through Steam, but I have little choice. I don't like it, but I'm going through Origins.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Not really a deal breaker as long as the game is good, so i'll have to run origin while i'm playing me3, big deal.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I'll probably get it from one of the third party distributors then. While I was expecting this, the news still hurts. I hate you so much, EA. Becoming what you started out to defend gaming against.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
*Sigh*
I preordered ME3 already, and I'm not going to cancel it. I will probably, however, crack it so I can play this game that I bought without Origin. Until they remove that spyware clause of the EULA, I will never touch Origin in any way.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
Guess i should buy Bioware points for DLC and not use you know..regular hard cold cash like Steam Does it? I can't be arsed to make another bloody account this is sort of a deal breaker for me... On the pc anyway... until they release a NO origin crack

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Glad i waited.

I fully expected this when Origin launched and EA and Steam had their big frackus. I'm not interested in installing yet another game client on my machine. The dubious nature of the EULA in installing Origin really takes the cake and then ices it with a nasty disease ridden substance then tries to force feed it to me.

No thanks.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Valanthe said:
It's unfortunate, but expected, you basically -cannot- play EA games on the PC without Origin anymore. I will spout up as the Devil's Advocate a bit and say that Origin is not as bad as it was when it first came out. It's got a long way to go before I'll actually like it, but right now it's sitting at begrudged tolerance.
I am inclined to agree with you. I suspect most of the animosity is due to the way EA has treated gamers. Hopefully Origin patches will be unlike Skyrim patches.

On second thought, icons flying backwards sound interesting...

Poomermon

Aug 26, 2011
I think EA is just being smart. Of course they want people to use their platform to buy games and if they can lure people in with their hit games more power to them. I have my doubts about origin but for ME3 I think I have to join and have a look. I don't think they would actively try to harm their customers as that would be incredibly dumb move. It may take some time to get used to the new platform but ultimately more competition in digital distribution market is better for the consumers.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Really not happy with that at all. I'll have to see how it goes. I can't say this news surprises me, but at the same time I was hoping they wouldn't do this.

It's actually made me question even more as to whether or not I will want it, considering I have money issues to attend with, I may not bother forking out for it.

*sigh*

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
It does not directly concern me as I play it on 360, but EA seems to not care too much about their consumers. PC gamers, stay strong!

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
Poomermon said:
I think EA is just being smart. It may take some time to get used to the new platform but ultimately more competition in digital distribution market is better for the consumers.
No. A monopoly is never good for the consumer. Unless their is a fair market standard, then it is horribly unfair. For instance, EA does not have to lessen the price of it's games, because the only place you can get it is through EA. They don't have "weekend sales" or "Holiday deals" like steam does. They don't have to release their product to anyone, or bend in any way for the consumer. This type of totalitarian practice hurts the consumer, destroys the market, and makes tons of money for the producers. Thats why they are doing it.

leaman474

Mar 16, 2009
This pisses me off big time.
Gonna get it, and immediately un-install Origin after I complete it.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
PlowmanMk said:
ph0b0s123 said:
The whole point is that Origin goes further than anything before and people think it is about time to say 'here and no further', other of a bunch of offenders at the moment they are trying to push the envelope. Everytime peoples rights to piracy is degraded it is always by a small amount, so it is death by a thousand cuts. Facebook have had a load of flack for there behavior and it has generated change. EA should get a taste of the same medicine, especially when it is such a small change that would get people back on side, just make it optional, that's it. I would start giving them money again.
I certainly agree, however some people are straight away thinking that Origin is 'Spyware' without quite understanding that it isn't an unheard of concept. Still, I see it as 'reaching the limit', not pushing the limit.

Although, I disagree with boycotting games as I don't see it as beneficial at all. Regardless of what I believe, that is still up to the consumer. So good for them.
I'm sure there would be a better alternative to boycotting.
I think the word boycot is wrong to as it may not make any difference. I am just taking a personal stand that EA will get none of my hardware and software data without asking for it. The only way I can do that is by not having Origin. Which means no BF3 or ME3...

I do think the sypware claim while hyperbolic, is still fair. Spyware takes without your permission. All the other software you listed takes with you permission. That make Origin closer to spyware than anything else you mentioned.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
And here we go ...

Definitely not buying ...

Now, again, the difference between Steam and Origin:

Steam's EULA doesn't tell you specifically WHAT they collect, but what they DO with it.
Origin's EULA does tell you what they collect ... but not what they do with it ...

Difference between LIVE and Origin in regards to yet-another-service-other-than-Steam:
LIVE is implanted in the game directly, installed all along, hardly requires data to be entered, and belongs to the company that already supplied your goddamn OS ... Why on Earth would you even bother hiding anything from them when they could implant anything they want into your OS - and you'd mostly be forced to use it regardless, if you want to play most games conveniently.
Origin on the other hand requires a whole external account, at a company that supplies said games only, requires an external client installed and run independantly - or requires the game to be run through this client.

As such Origin is an intrusive, restricting, annoying and pretty much useless service.