Mass Effect 3: Retake This

Landshark1

Mar 16, 2011
Hagi said:
I probably don't get it. I'm not actually sure if I do. Either way, it's a bit disappointing.

If I do get it then well... that's just sad...

If I don't get it then well... there's this thing about having to explain your jokes...

I suppose it's a bit like having to explain your endings.
I'm pretty sure Grey's was trying to make fun of how these journalists are just in it for the page views and so they make articles that are purposefully inflammatory because they know it will draw people in. The text at the bottom was making fun of people that respond to the threads and giving the website even more money by sending the article to friends and such. They made a similar comic on Alyssa Bereznak.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9103-The-Bastards-Guide-to-Journalism

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Landshark1 said:
Hagi said:
I probably don't get it. I'm not actually sure if I do. Either way, it's a bit disappointing.

If I don't get it then well... there's this thing about having to explain your jokes...

I'm pretty sure Grey's was trying to make fun of how these journalists are just in it for the page views and so they make articles that are purposefully inflammatory because they know it will draw people in. The text at the bottom was making fun of people that respond to the threads and giving the website even more money by sending the article to friends and such. They made a similar comic on Alyssa Bereznak.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9103-The-Bastards-Guide-to-Journalism
If I had the ability to like or upvote your comment would get so many of those right now.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Fawxy said:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait...

Why the fuck are people taking this strip seriously? They're obviously poking fun at the whole situation, not just the fans' supposed "entitlement".

Lighten the fuck up, people.
Yeah, I'm not getting it either. The strip was clearly not making fun of fans but making a joke about the possibility of taking advantage of their rage to make more money. I'm not sure why anyone is taking the apparent poke at fans seriously when it's obviously only there to set up the last panel.

I also can't believe I have to explain this because some people don't get it. You can thank me for ruining the joke guys.
I'm just gonna tell you to read the comments on the last couple of Critical Miss Comics. Just read them. It's actually depressing how serious people can take minor things in these comics and totally miss "subtle" hints.

Remember when Jim started making videos? People hated him because of his attitude. One day, Jim makes a video where he flat out states that his "attitude" is a joke and suddenly that same video is crawling with people who totally "got it" despite a suspicious lack of people that seemed to "get it" on previous videos.

Immsys

May 23, 2009
Sparrow said:
Are you serious? You don't even know my opinion on the subject and you've opened up with "well, your opinion is wrong." You're either a troll or narrow minded. I can't believe you have the audacity to tell me my opinion (which you don't know at this point) is wrong and therefore you must be right based on zero evidence.

Well done for being part of the problem. And for the record? I give zero fucks about the ending, I liked ME3. Just looking out for the little guy over here.
Oh, well hang on a second.
Sparrow said:
Gotta' agree with this. Sarcasm or not, this strip reminded me that gaming journalists have handled this horribly. Instead of "let's look at both sides of this" it's devolved into "well, I didn't see anything wrong with the ending so you guys are just entitled asswipes."
Hm, that's odd, that little quote from your earlier post certainly seems like an opinion to me. Not to mention that I didn't even state that your opinion was wrong, I believe that my exact words were "you might be confusing". Doesn't seem to state that you are wrong, just the possibility that you are wrong. Which of course you already know, as a rational human being and all. As for my "audacity" again you seem to be reading what i typed as "could" to be "are". Part of the problem? Well, that's a little judgemental of you, you speak with some certainty on the matter. Almost like the certainty you are mistakenly lambasting me for having. I also don't see the bit where I claim that I am right either, or indeed the bit where I express any opinion whatsoever.

Landshark1

Mar 16, 2011
j0frenzy said:
Landshark1 said:
Hagi said:

If I had the ability to like or upvote your comment would get so many of those right now.
The sad thing is that I'm definitely not the first to explain the comic's point either. If people would read through the other 6 pages before posting then there would probably be a lot less confusion.

noobartist1

Apr 11, 2011
I looked at the comic and laughed.

I looked at this thread... ... ... and laughed as I never laughed before.

Way to be the target (victim) group as depicted by this comic, yet be completely oblivious to it simply because of rage of an almost-unrelated thing this comic refers to.

PS: the closest analogy of this comments thread would be political cartoons using Iraq/Iran rather than USSR. Suuuuuurrrrreeee, Uncle Sam threatening with the bomb isn't the focus of the message of THAT cartoon, it is always about those middle east bastards instead.

Edit: It seems better people than me have explained this comic :D

noobartist1

Apr 11, 2011
Lyri said:
SirBryghtside said:
Professional trolling at its finest XD
Writing something controversial and then going "LOLJK" is not trolling.
Generating income from people red-faced and raging at that controversial issue, then baiting them onward with newer controversial articles and yet more LOLJK to generate even more income? Trolling at its finest

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
LetalisK said:
Knight Templar said:
Subtle, I like it.

By subtle I mean obvious.
It's retardedly obvious. And that makes me worry about some
The thread can't be that...
*looks over thread growth since he went to sleep*
This is worse than the thread for Shamus's latest article.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
noobartist1 said:
Generating income from people red-faced and raging at that controversial issue, then baiting them onward with newer controversial articles and yet more LOLJK to generate even more income? Trolling at its finest
By that token you can call malicious business practices trolling.

To clarify, no I haven't played ME3, no I don't care about the ending, no I don't care about EA. Just before we start to think I'm one of those buttenraged fans.

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
Metalix Knightmare said:
El Dwarfio said:
I don't see how your in any which way entitled...

This whole issue is so detrimental to the industry as a whole if people ever want gaming to be considered a serious medium...
So does this mean you'll be joining me in my re-take the Matrix campaign? Or re-take 2001: a space oddessy? I mean that ending just came out of nowhere, and nothing got resolved! Or perhaps re-take the Mona Lisa!

The game was never OURS to begin with! It was Bioware's! There is literally NOTHING for the re-take movement to re-take! If they picked a better name they probably wouldn't be called self entitled so often!
Sorry, I would but I'm too caught up in my Re-Take the Human Body campaign.

I don't give a shit if you believe in Darwin, God or both, I deserve four arms, x-ray vision and the ability to breath fire.

This shitty body I was born in is a breach of my consumer rights.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Doctor Glocktor said:
lacktheknack said:
Doctor Glocktor said:
Less 'funny' and more 'absolutely condescending'.

Christ.
You realize he wasn't targeting you, right?
You realize it doesn't stop it from absolutely condescending, right?
Um... I suppose it's still condescending, but that's what makes it a Take That to game journalist sites...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Immsys said:
Sparrow said:
Are you serious? You don't even know my opinion on the subject and you've opened up with "well, your opinion is wrong." You're either a troll or narrow minded. I can't believe you have the audacity to tell me my opinion (which you don't know at this point) is wrong and therefore you must be right based on zero evidence.

Well done for being part of the problem. And for the record? I give zero fucks about the ending, I liked ME3. Just looking out for the little guy over here.
Oh, well hang on a second.
Sparrow said:
Gotta' agree with this. Sarcasm or not, this strip reminded me that gaming journalists have handled this horribly. Instead of "let's look at both sides of this" it's devolved into "well, I didn't see anything wrong with the ending so you guys are just entitled asswipes."
Hm, that's odd, that little quote from your earlier post certainly seems like an opinion to me. Not to mention that I didn't even state that your opinion was wrong, I believe that my exact words were "you might be confusing". Doesn't seem to state that you are wrong, just the possibility that you are wrong. Which of course you already know, as a rational human being and all. As for my "audacity" again you seem to be reading what i typed as "could" to be "are". Part of the problem? Well, that's a little judgemental of you, you speak with some certainty on the matter. Almost like the certainty you are mistakenly lambasting me for having. I also don't see the bit where I claim that I am right either, or indeed the bit where I express any opinion whatsoever.
Stop speaking in circles. You downright accused me of having an opinion that is not my own then started to tell me why that opinion was wrong. You also remain ignorant to the fact that there are two sides to the story.

Are you seriously trying to say that I shouldn't support those who don't have a positive voice in the media they attribute themselves to? Gamers who dislike the ending and want a new one are being shovelled into a corner with those who demand an ending. They are not the same. My point was that these people are being treated like shit, not that I am being treated like shit. There are two sides to this story, and within those two sides there are another two sides and so on. I just want to represent those who are being ignored for having an opinion that the gaming media is so set against hating, is that so wrong?

caladors

Mar 17, 2011
I'm offended, there is a white shirt there in that box.
There are only three shirts, blue, green and red.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
The ending wasn't so bad.
Oh, and if EA is reading this, I'm still waiting for that cheque in the mail.
Am I doing it right?

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Wow, we didn't even manage to get to the 10nth post. No matter how much the "fans" might be in the right some of them aren't doing their cause any service with their posts.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
I really enjoyed this strip. Even more: I enjoyed the reaction. What started out as a polemic debate has morphed into a broader, quasi-political movement, which has shifted focus away from the merits of Bioware's work and moved into the wider realm of gaming media, with ME3 being used as the vehicle.

It's absolutely obvious many posters haven't taken the time to consider the message and instead, have jumped to shoot the messenger (so to speak). The entire debate has descended into farce because people on both sides --for lack of a better term-- have been so entrenched in their arguments that they've become incapable of objective and constructive analysis.

Mass Effect has simultaneously brought out the best and the worst of fans; it has also arguably signaled a shift in the prominence of gaming to more mainstream media/news outlets. Not entirely for the better, mind you.