Mass Effect 3 Review

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
Too bad. Playing through the entire series. From Game One. For the first time.

This is going to take a while.......

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
I already know how piss-poor the endings are so I'm gonna pay until right before the endings and never touch it again. Simple as that.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
BaronIveagh said:
Susan Arendt said:
I take my integrity very seriously. I can't imagine a payoff that would be big enough to be worth ruining my good name for. You can't get trust back once you've squandered it. Why the hell would I ruin my relationship with readers to please EA? People throw out accusations of corruption so casually, and I don't think they really think through what they're suggesting.
Susan, while you're exactly right about trust, I can tell you that the motivators for editors are to fix a review or quash a story are. Need, Greed, and Fear of Loss. Find the right combination of those, and the most honest editors and writers will lie through their teeth.

Based on your response, I'd say that fear of loss would be my first angle of approach, if I were looking to manipulate you. Your immediate response to the possibility of a corruption accusation suggests that you value what you have highly, but have little interest beyond your goals, whatever they may be.

And the sad part is that I've very rarely seen a journalist get called out for giving a good review to a bad game or movie or book, but I've seen more then one lose their jobs for writing a review the management didn't like. So there's always that little voice in the back of your head saying 'Maybe they won't remember I wrote this.'
Speak for yourself, please. If I lose my job over telling the truth, fine - I don't want to work for a place that would ask me to lie.

Also, don't talk down to me as though I'm somehow oblivious to the way things work. I've been in this industry for quite some time and am well aware of the kinds of pressures that can be applied.

I had a very successful career outside of game journalism, and if I have to go back to it because I choose to stick to my personal ideals, I'm perfectly fine with that.
Given that he seems (at least the way I read it) to be admitting to writing a review praising a game he hadn't played because his bosses told him to, I don't think he'd understand integrity Ms Arendt.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Rainboq said:
MiracleOfSound said:
BaronIveagh said:
-snipping out meanness-
Pray tell... what exactly do I have to gain from ME3 getting a good review?

This I have to hear.
A date with Liara or Miranda?
Meh, in-game romances don't interest me all that much, in any game...
*shrugs* Well, enjoy your opinion then! And honestly, ignore the haters, you've earned your recognition from your sheer genius.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Rainboq said:
MiracleOfSound said:
BaronIveagh said:
-snipping out meanness-

This I have to hear.
A date with Liara or Miranda?
Meh, in-game romances don't interest me all that much, in any game...

Blunderboy said:
Sensual back rubs from Wrex of course.
...hmmmm [perks up] The Krogan probably give good strong back rubs.
Oh yeah. You know that knot between your shoulder baldes? A Krogan massage would kick the shit out of that. With a headbutt.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mass Effect 3 Review

The ending the series - and its fans - deserve.

Read Full Article
Susan recommended it? Sure thing. When it makes it onto steam that is. None of that origin muck on my pc, thanks =D
Pretty much this. I'll wait it out until EA comes to their senses and puts it on Steam. I'm disappointed, but it's better than having Origin do what it does.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
TLS14 said:
ResonanceSD said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mass Effect 3 Review

Read Full Article
Susan recommended it? Sure thing. When it makes it onto steam that is. None of that origin muck on my pc, thanks =D
Pretty much this. I'll wait it out until EA comes to their senses and puts it on Steam. I'm disappointed, but it's better than having Origin do what it does.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but putting it on Steam probably isn't going to happen for a long time, EA is trying to get business for Origin.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Blunderboy said:
Susan Arendt said:
BaronIveagh said:
Susan Arendt said:
I take my integrity very seriously. I can't imagine a payoff that would be big enough to be worth ruining my good name for. You can't get trust back once you've squandered it. Why the hell would I ruin my relationship with readers to please EA? People throw out accusations of corruption so casually, and I don't think they really think through what they're suggesting.
Susan, while you're exactly right about trust, I can tell you that the motivators for editors are to fix a review or quash a story are. Need, Greed, and Fear of Loss. Find the right combination of those, and the most honest editors and writers will lie through their teeth.

Based on your response, I'd say that fear of loss would be my first angle of approach, if I were looking to manipulate you. Your immediate response to the possibility of a corruption accusation suggests that you value what you have highly, but have little interest beyond your goals, whatever they may be.

And the sad part is that I've very rarely seen a journalist get called out for giving a good review to a bad game or movie or book, but I've seen more then one lose their jobs for writing a review the management didn't like. So there's always that little voice in the back of your head saying 'Maybe they won't remember I wrote this.'
Speak for yourself, please. If I lose my job over telling the truth, fine - I don't want to work for a place that would ask me to lie.

Also, don't talk down to me as though I'm somehow oblivious to the way things work. I've been in this industry for quite some time and am well aware of the kinds of pressures that can be applied.

I had a very successful career outside of game journalism, and if I have to go back to it because I choose to stick to my personal ideals, I'm perfectly fine with that.
Given that he seems (at least the way I read it) to be admitting to writing a review praising a game he hadn't played because his bosses told him to, I don't think he'd understand integrity Ms Arendt.
Hadn't thought about it that way. ;)

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mass Effect 3 Review

Read Full Article
Im so tempted to just buy it on origin especially since they changed their data scanning eula. XD

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Rainboq said:
TLS14 said:
ResonanceSD said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mass Effect 3 Review

Read Full Article
Sorry to burst your bubble, but putting it on Steam probably isn't going to happen for a long time, EA is trying to get business for Origin.
Eh, fair enough. I figure that's what's going to happen, anyway, so I guess Origin is the way to go in my case. I mean I don't have a 360 or even a PS3 copy of ME2, so that's out of the question. Just to be sure, though, does anyone here have an Origin account, and can they verify that it's safe?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ehh, I don't really feel like supporting ea so I'm just gonna wait till its on sale used for cheap. Besides I don't really use my 360 anymore anyway.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
BaronIveagh said:
Here's what I read from your post:

'I once gave up my integrity and made a corrupt review so now I presume that everyone else has the same moral standard and would do the same thing.'

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Who are you and who did you write for?
My name's Colin Young, and feel free to visit your nearest library to dig out the now dead papers I occasionally got my own byline in. I usually didn't get one though.

Susan Arendt said:
Well, in that at least, we have something in common. I actually did lose a job for refusing to lie, and I do feel good about it to this day, because the Buffalo News ran a story vindicating my findings on the front page back in 2010, even though it didn't get my byline.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Rainboq said:
*shrugs* Well, enjoy your opinion then! And honestly, ignore the haters, you've earned your recognition from your sheer genius.
Lol! Thanks dude. I'm not worried about my reputation don't worry :) I make songs about things I love - it's a good job.

It's Susan I'm defending because some idiots presume she CAN'T have enjoyed a game they didn't like.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Lol! Thanks dudeette. I'm not worried about my reputation don't worry :) I make songs about things I love - it's a good job.
Well, you, my good sir, seem to be living one hell of a great life, keep making awesome music!

EDIT: Wow, the quotes were being all weird @ . @

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Well it sounds great, but sadly that origin requirement is just too great a turnoff for me to ignore. Guess I'll just have to go without.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Here's what I read from your post:

'I once gave up my integrity and made a corrupt review so now I presume that everyone else has the same moral standard and would do the same thing.'
No, what I said was that whenever I see the same pattern emerge, I suspect it. There is a difference.

Oh, and don't make it sound so easy. It was that or not get the job writing the story and not keep my house because my non-writing job took a turn for the worse. I've lived on the street. Pass on doing it a second time.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Rainboq said:
Well, you, my good sir, seem to be living one hell of a great life, keep making awesome music!
LOL we messed up eachothers' quote boxes twice.
XD Looks like we need a refresher in BB code

BoogityBoogityMan

Jan 26, 2012
MiracleOfSound said:

This I have to hear.
continued access to review code for future bighugegames from bighugepublishers...gotta have that day 1 review up on the site, right?