Mass Effect 3: The Process

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I'm more or less alternating between stage1 and 2 right now. I was never invested enough in the series to go to 3 & beyond ;)

The Endingtron 3000 from Deus Ex: HR strikes again.
Makes you wonder if Bioware hired another studio to make the ending for them, like Eidos did with the boss battles. Would explain their disconnection from the rest of the game, at least.

Apr 28, 2008
kuolonen said:
Irridium said:
Huh, it's like Dragon Age 2 all over again. Well, for me. That's more or less what I did.
Its worse than DA2. Atleast DA2 game some information on what happened afterwards.

ME3 has single line "Shepard is legend". Yeah. Ok.

OT: Me, I am steady on the acceptance by now. And by that I mean I dont care if world ends in 2012. In fact I'm kinda hoping it does.
You mean ME3 has even less than "Hawke and friends ran away"?

Holy fuck that's bad.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Nimcha said:
Very funny.

I do hope people will come into the acceptance stage soon though. I loved the endings and I've let a few people see why and some agreed, but I'm not gonna do that anymore.

I just hope Bioware comes with some kind of statement explaining the general themes of the endings to help people make sense of them.
It's not that people don't understand the endings. It's that the endings are presented in such a horrible way. I mean, we get to the climax, the game starts slowing down as Anderson tells you how proud he is, the pacing just makes the game feel over...and then the ending is snatched away so that we can talk to possibly the most important character of the series who was never even hinted at before. This great, important character only being introduced in the last 10 minutes of a 3 game series doesn't feel like a cop out? Like Deus Ex Machina?
The Catalyst was introduced way in the beginning of the game.

Bedla

Jun 30, 2011
lancar said:
The Endingtron 3000 from Deus Ex: HR strikes again.
Makes you wonder if Bioware hired another studio to make the ending for them, like Eidos did with the boss battles. Would explain their disconnection from the rest of the game, at least.
This, exactly this!

My thoughts during the Mass Effect 3 ending went like "Ok, at least it's not buttons" quickly followed by "I wonder if we're gonna find out Bioware outsourced the ending".

At least the holo kid didn't say anything about how it's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there...

I guess I've played too much DX:HR ;)

Jul 9, 2008
Nimcha said:
Nimcha said:
Very funny.

I do hope people will come into the acceptance stage soon though. I loved the endings and I've let a few people see why and some agreed, but I'm not gonna do that anymore.

I just hope Bioware comes with some kind of statement explaining the general themes of the endings to help people make sense of them.
It's not that people don't understand the endings. It's that the endings are presented in such a horrible way. I mean, we get to the climax, the game starts slowing down as Anderson tells you how proud he is, the pacing just makes the game feel over...and then the ending is snatched away so that we can talk to possibly the most important character of the series who was never even hinted at before. This great, important character only being introduced in the last 10 minutes of a 3 game series doesn't feel like a cop out? Like Deus Ex Machina?
The Catalyst was introduced way in the beginning of the game.
The idea of the catalyst being the final component to what we thought was a superweapon was introduced at the beginning of the game. The idea that it was an AI controlling the Reapers (or that such a being even existed) was never foreshadowed at all.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Not....quite my reaction......

I will say that I recently realized that the ending is mostly in line with the endings of the other games. We just accepted them and thought they were cool because we thought each game was leading to an epic conclusion in the third installment.

And we were wrong.

:(

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Irridium said:
Huh, it's like Dragon Age 2 all over again. Well, for me. That's more or less what I did.
Except DA2 didn't have two prior installments filled with loved characters and looming mystery building it up.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Irridium said:
kuolonen said:
You mean ME3 has even less than "Hawke and friends ran away"?

Holy fuck that's bad.
Yeah. Theres a reason why Bioware social is in pretty nasty shape right now. The logical conclusion to this is that DA3s ending will be black screen & credits after halfway through last boss.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Irridium said:
Except DA2 didn't have two prior installments filled with loved characters and looming mystery building it up.
DA2 had its problems, don't get me wrong, but I didn't think the story or the ending was one of them. I always thought of the battle at the mages guild against that crazy lady with the sword as the ending. What happened to Hawke afterwards was more of an epilogue to me.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Pretty much exactly my feelings.

But hey what do we really expect?
Bioware has become another output engine for EA to try and milk another cash cow to death.

FUCK YOU EA FUCK YOU AND BURN IN HELL.
There I said it I feel better.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The comic is spot on. I think I have hit the acceptance stage myself... though there is still a hint of depression :(

sordcooper

Sep 14, 2010
yeeeaaaaah to be fair, in hindsight, i found the 'paragon' ending a little more appropriate than the others, but yeah, still total BS

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I SWEAR TO GOD IF GARRUS DIES BIOWARE IS DEAD TO ME.

I fucking love that guy.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Meh, I didn't think it was THAT bad. I mean, Bioware could never ever have lived up to the expectations, I was fully aware the ending wouldn't be good.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Is it just me, or does Erin look a lot like Tomoko from It's not my fault I'm not popular in the third panel?

Bevin Warren

Jun 6, 2011
sordcooper said:
yeeeaaaaah to be fair, in hindsight, i found the 'paragon' ending a little more appropriate than the others, but yeah, still total BS
There is no Paragpon ending
The lore states that an exploding Mass Relay destroys all life within its sector...from the DLC Arrival
all the endings have the relays explode... thus all advanced technological life is destroyed except for the crew of the Normandy... who crash lands somewhere...

In fact Shepards does more damage to the Universe then the Reapers would have done anyway...
The best you can hope for is:
1: Destroy... you end the Reaper cycle utterly thus giving future life forms a chance of existing without the threat of being harvested.
2. Control... take control of the Reapers and bend them to your will... basicly you decide who will get killed and when.
3. merge - all life becomes half organic/sythnthetic... except there is no real life forms as the exploding relays took them out... except for the normandy crew...

Theyt are all Renegade options and only the Destroy has a long term net benefit.