Mass Effect 3: The Process

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
Your doing it wrong I sat in an elevator crying and eating ice cream. That proper mass effect depression.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Loonerinoes said:
I'll just leave this right here for all you lovely ragers. :)

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/why-the-ending-of-mass-effect-3-was-satifying-and-worthy-of-the-series-mass
Another post by someone clueless to the actual reason people are so disappointed about this ending. Penny Arcade, too - no surprise there.

Below, my earlier post on the Bioware forum. Spoiler-tagged for obvious reasons.

End of the day the Catalyst's explanation for the Reaper's existence is the most obvious dumbass circular logic I've seen in quite a while. Organics will be wiped out by synthetics, so I've created synthetics that wipe out advanced organic life every 50k years in order to stop them from being wiped out by synthetics...? Anyone with half a brain has to look at that sentence and just marvel at the stupidity.

Plus, no matter which ending you choose the Relays and the Citadel are destroyed. In ME2 Arrival DLC, we see first-hand what the result is from a Relay being destroyed. Basically a huge part of the Batarian Hegemony (The guys with four eyes and wrinkly heads) is wiped out because of the destroyed relay basically going supernova when it's disrupted. In the ending you can see the shockwave from the Crucible spreading to the first relay and destroying it. Then you see the galaxy-wide spread of said shockwave, and massive detonations spreading to every relay. Now, knowing that a relay going boom has the destructive power to destroy an entire starsystem: Until Bioware says differently it's fair to assume pretty much the entire galaxy is bombed back to the stone age no matter which ending you choose. Continuing down this train of thought: You can liberate the Quarian homeworld, cure the genophage, give the Geth free will amongst many other choices. Yet at the end, every single fleet in the galaxy is gathered in the Sol system (aka. in the vicinity of Earth), and with the relays' destruction they have no way to get back to their homeworlds. The Quarians' homeworld, for example, is across the ENTIRE galaxy. On top of that, Turians and Quarians can't eat human food either due to their different biology, and Krogans (now that the Genophage is cured) will pretty much breed like wildfire. What was the point of giving all these different species their collective lives back in one form or another, if the ending is just going to piss all over everything you've done?

ON TOP OF THAT (Yes, as a longtime fan I've given this way too much thought) the three choices are completely pointless.

1. Kill Shepard, control Reapers, destroy relays.
2. Kill Shepard, create new DNA in form of symbiosis, destroy relays, Reapers leave
3. Kill Reapers, destroy relays.

I'm just going to ignore the second option, because the notion of the entire galaxy somehow becoming synth-bio hybrids feels like such a departure from the rest of the games so far, like Baker said "from Star Trek to Star Wars". Suddenly there's this magical force capable of metamorphing the entire galaxy. Yeah no. On the other choices: basically this AI-God-Child-Thing is completely willing to give up control of the Reapers, or indeed have Shepard kill him/it and all the Reapers - because Shepard showing up is proof that the current solution doesn't work anymore? Why doesn't it simply call off the Reapers then? How about the Geth and the Quarians making peace? The Catalyst says the solution is there because synthetics will always turn on their masters and kill them. In this extinction cycle those synthetics are the Geth. Before ME1, the Geth attack in self-defence and drive the Quarians away - but allow them to retreat as soon as they're no longer a threat. A splinter group of Geth then attack Eden Prime and other organic-settled worlds UNDER ORDERS FROM THE REAPERS. In the second game the Collectors (half organic-half synthetic) attack human settlements UNDER ORDERS FROM THE REAPERS. By ME3, the Geth are fighting a war with the Quarians simply to DEFEND THEMSELVES, and then get CONTROLLED BY THE REAPERS ONCE AGAIN. When they are freed from the Reaper signal, they simply want to make peace and live their own "lives". If Reapers are here to somehow protect organic life from being wiped out by synthetics - why are they the only synthetic race that continuously attacks organics? Circular logic. We don't want you getting wiped out by synthetics, so we made an army of synthetics to wipe you out.

And heck, in the first game it's said that Sovereign was left behind to ensure the Reapers could come back through the Citadel and kickstart the extinction. If the Catalyst - the thing that controls all the Reapers, has always lived on the Citadel, what was Sovereign's function? Why didn't the Catalyst just activate the Citadel when he wanted the Reapers to show up? Sovereign, the primary antagonist of the first game, becomes completely irrelevant. It's simply a dumb plothole that can't be plugged with any information we currently have.

As a final note, the original ending written by Drew Karpyshyn (the original lead writer during ME1 and ME2) is foreshadowed through the entire series. But Drew has left Bioware, and apparently his ending wasn't good enough or something - even though, as mentioned, the foreshadowing and the work up toward his ending is still very much there. This is basically why the ending feels like such a mess. The Catalyst-AI has never been mentioned before, and only exists in the story for those last five minutes. Hell, the old better ending possibilities are still readable in the .xml files that were leaked pre-release!

And even if I was to accept all this plothole-riddled bullshit as the ending; it's still not a fitting ending to a series that has prided itself on player choice and character building. There is no closure, no catharsis. In short the player doesn't have a fucking clue what happens after the ending, or if any of Shepard's choices during the three games matter at all.

Please read through that and tell me I'm wrong. I double-dare you, Samuel L. Jackson-style.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Yup... that was me as well.

Goddammit! I haven't cried like that since I was about 7, and I don't think anything beyond Liara becoming a real person could console me (if you'll forgive the creepyness, it's been a very traumatic time).

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Exactly how I felt. Crushed.

Never thought a damn videogame could make me feel so down in the dumps - especially my freakin favorite series of all time.
Poor Gav, you were in such high hopes when you premiered Take it Back.

I haven't played the ME series, seeing as I'm broke and have mainly been playing F2P games for the past 3 years, but if the ending is really that... bad, I feel rather bad for you guys.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
*Me before beating ME3* - "Man, what whiners! All these people are so entitled! C'mon, they wouldn't have been satisfied with any ending! Bioware fans are the worst! They exaggerate everything. No way are the endings THAT bad!"

*Me after beating ME3* - "Oh, go to hell, Bioware. You go straight to hell. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 dollars. Go directly to hell."

I'm starting to think the ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion was better... and they got death threats over that.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Kalezian said:
putowtin said:

actually, I found that 90% of the people complaining about the endings haven't that having more than 5000 troop strength before doing the final mission gives you the better one depending on the choices.

Still though, after finding this out, promptly replaying the game [which importing your ME3 character is the only way to get weapons over level 5 evidently] and getting EVERY SINGLE WAR ASSET IN THE GAME, I was content with the ending.
I'm sure I had more that 5000, I had every asset, but now I'm curious....
Maybe when my heart stops feeling so heavy I'll re-play!

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
digital warrior said:
Yah the ending was pretty shit. But here something that will at least make it interesting if true. http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/1/topic/355/index/9727423/1

Basically it states that the entire part with the citadel was an indoctrination test set by the reapers in Sheppard's death coma, its an interesting read the theirs allot of evidence to support it.

Still pisses me off though cause that means it's incomplete and they will charge us for the ending. Not cool man, not cool.
Oh please be real. Dear God let at least SOME of that theory be real. I'd even be prepared to fork out extra money for the real ending if they really were this brilliant. I also wouldn't have to feel so shitty about choosing Destroy and what I was told the consequences would be.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I don't get it. Can someone explain to me, a person who has not played Mass Effect, what the big deal is? I read about the endings on some spoiler thing and I just don't understand the issue. Is it because it's hard to get the happy ending? You can't deal with a depressing ending? Other?

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Nice to know I'm not alone feeling ripped off. 1000's of possibilities going into the game, and the best endings they could come up with were 3 different flavours of "kill self, render all previous decisions moot." And YES, I know you "maybe" survive one of them. But a twitching corpse in a flaming ruin is not what I'd call a satisfying payoff to the Sci-fi epic they've spent the better part of a decade building. Otherwise well done, but jesus guys...

Doubler

Mar 29, 2011
Eh, I agree with some of the criticisms and disagree with others ('it's not a happy ending!'), but ultimately what I felt was the worst thing about the ending was that while it gave closure to the story, it didn't give closure to the characters. And honestly, the characters in ME were way more important than the story ever was.

sordcooper

Sep 14, 2010
uh, yeah, control was the paragon option, you take control of the reapers and can therefore send them all back to dark space and stop the war outright. Besides, only merge or destroy ended up with the relays being blown up i think. Still, all awful endings