Mass Effect 3: The Process

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
BX3 said:
Darkmantle said:
the basic issue is that the finale of the game is essentially "well you are fucked, but please, press buttons A B or C to choose your ending cinematic"

Did you play a model citizen? Doesn't matter same ABC

Did you play a violent Arrogant Prick? doesn't matter ABC

did you speed run the games? Doesn't matter ABC

Did you painstakingly complete EVERY sidequest? doesn't matter, ABC
Ah, I see, so not the endings, but the way in which they were implemented. That does sound pretty rage inducing. Seems like a bit of a cop out on Bioware's part, especially given that many of the game's fans are attracted to the story driven and role playing nature of the franchise.

Thanks for explaining it in layman's terms.
what makes it worse is that they bragged it up in a few interviews that EVERY choice would be represented in the endings and it was going to be "incredibly complex".

What a joke.

And no problem :)

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I made a point that this seemed to be happening in a lot of the "I'm fine with the ending now" threads... after they were signing petitions to get the ending changed. They were angry about it before. And bewildered before that.

You've reached acceptance. Bravo. You are now officially sad, sad people.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Exactly how I felt. Crushed.

Never thought a damn videogame could make me feel so down in the dumps - especially my freakin favorite series of all time.
Hehe! Reminds me how I felt after Shadow of the Colossus or the end of LIMBO.

Just so broken up and left asking "WHY GOD WHY!?!"

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
RaeAlethea said:
I'm deeeep in depression. With a touch of denial. I'm seriously considering making a Kaidan pillow to make it all hurt just a little less.
Care to make a second?

MiracleOfSound said:
Exactly how I felt. Crushed.

Never thought a damn videogame could make me feel so down in the dumps - especially my freakin favorite series of all time.
Just do what I and others are doing sir; try to erase the last ten minutes of the game from memory, and focus (heavily) on the good parts that made the Mass Effect series so special to you.

In my case, Kaidan. Lots and lots of Kaidan:

*sighs* I'm going to need a lot more Kaidan to forget about this...

True story - after I beat the game, me and the boyfriend were dumbstruck for 20 minutes, just going 'huu-whaaaa?'. I even walked around in a confused daze.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I ranted and raved at the nearest available target (my mother) for about 10 minutes after finishing. I believe I described it as "imagine if your first time watching The Lord of the Rings you watched the extended cuts and all back to back, and then Return ends when Gollum and Frodo fall off the ledge in Mt. Doom". Except with some more ranting and slightly more colorful language thrown in. I knew what was coming and STILL was mad. If anything, experiencing it made it worse, even knowing what the ending was. I am still firmly in the anger stage.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I'm right now inbetween 'acceptance' and 'bartering' when it comes to the ending. It hasn't effected me fully because I haven't actually played the whole game yet but still I'm trying my best to be emotionall prepared for what I do.
I should say outright that when I say I'm in the 'bartering' stage I mean simply that I still really want Bioware/EA to hurry up and approve of these:

A DLC remaking the endings may be hopeless but this is something that I am willing to let myself get emotionally invested in. Come on Bioware, if I really can't have a happy ending I can at least have high quality Play Arts Kai figures of my favorite characters, especially Ashley I would rather a PAK figure of her then a bishoujo statue. Surely that's no asking for the world.
Before I wouldn't even have worried about this because after all they are really well made, could sell for a huge price and given Bioware's attempts to market Mass Effect to Japan having toys made by a Japanese company would help.
But after these endings made thousands of people pissed off an depressed I now am actually worried about EA/Bioware when it comes to making good decisions.

I have decided that simply if Bioware don't license these, it will be the last straw for me.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
I swear to god, in the end they will release a dozen "proper" endings as DLC, $10 each.
The most GLORIOUS ripoff of all times.
And abuse of the bargain stage, of course. It will be so awesome *___*

karaku32

Mar 2, 2012
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-14-bioware-responds-to-mass-effect-3-ending-furore

Not sure if this is good news or not, they arent ruling out continuation DLC but they are saying that this is how they wanted us to react to make it "memorable"

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I didn't hate the ending as much as other people but yeah alongside the already disappointing game overall certainly wasn't the high note I was hoping for the trilogy to end on.

RaeAlethea

Feb 25, 2012
soren7550 said:
RaeAlethea said:
I'm deeeep in depression. With a touch of denial. I'm seriously considering making a Kaidan pillow to make it all hurt just a little less.
Care to make a second?
I'm currently using my boyfriend as a substitute Kaidan pillow, but of course he doesn't measure up :( Its hard, but we just have to focus on everything that made Mass Effect 3 amazing and not focus on the last 5 minutes. I say that, but I'm still in depression.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
I don't know why so many people are upset about the endings! Sure, there wasn't much variety between them, but I found the endings to be fairly good! But hey, that's just me.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Who else is starting to feel like how awesome the rest of the series is (including ME3 up until the last 10 minutes) was nothing more than an elaborate practical joke to raise our hopes as high as possible in order to laugh at how spectacularly they could be crushed...?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
People are just afraid to let go I guess, I for one, was a bit sad, but all good stories need an ending...
All stories need an ending.

All good stories need a good ending. Relatively subtle difference.

I would be HAPPY if it ended. The game industry is even worse than the movie industry when it comes to actually finishing stories. The ending should be the culmination of everything that has been leading up to it. Threads should be tied up, conclusions made.

Ever read the Mistborn trilogy? There is some FLAWLESS storytelling for you. The purpose of the story is so good and even if the ending can be said to be extremely bittersweet it ended. And it ended good. ME3s ending was a fucking disgrace.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
RaeAlethea said:
soren7550 said:
RaeAlethea said:
Care to make a second?
I'm currently using my boyfriend as a substitute Kaidan pillow, but of course he doesn't measure up :( Its hard, but we just have to focus on everything that made Mass Effect 3 amazing and not focus on the last 5 minutes. I say that, but I'm still in depression.
Are you me? Because I'm pretty sure I'm me, and that's what me is doing.

Could be an evil twin I suppose, but you can't be evil, you like Kaidan. Does that make me the evil twin then? That can't be though, since I too like Kaidan. GAAAAAAAAAHHH!

*goes back to Good Mass Effect Stuff comfort zone*

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I've moved passed depression and on to acceptance. I learned to appreciate the endings. Could have done some things better, but overall, I've put up with worse.