Mass Effect 3: The Wall

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I've only seen the Destroy ending so far (and I feel really bad about killing EDI and the Geth) but I pretty much agree. The extended cut addressed my biggest issues of "holy shit did I get all my friends killed" and "holy shit is the galaxy going to starve to death".

Sandytimeman said:
My problem is that the new endings would never be as exciting or as cool as the indoctrination theory. As I tweeted to Grey, nothing can beat a mountain dew fueled conspiracy theory.

I was right for the most part the new endings with the plot holes dry walled and patched just doesn't leave me disappointed but it doesn't excite me either.

Now that the ending is out I would like to see Casey Hudson give a play by play on why this video is completely wrong.

Like why are the piles of bodies next to the pillar of light, why are the dead bodies wearing the same default armors as Ashley and Kaiden.

Why you see the oily shadows during the confrontation with TIM and Anderson. Why when you shoot Anderson you are then wounded and why when you reach the top of the light you arn't wounded anymore?

There are tons of tiny details that are still left unexplained and I would really like some answers.
The answer to most of the IT questions is pretty much "because it's a video game". Or even "the same reason Tali's picture is just a bad Photoshop job".

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Joccaren said:
Sandytimeman said:
You really should watch it as most of your debunking posts are actually addressed in the video.

like for instance bioware said in writing that the camera is a character. After Anderson dies, it purposefully shows you holding you side, taking your hand away seeing blood and being surprised. In close up.

after he goes up the beam, he can now dash short bursts and even semi-jump. Objectively he is much healthier after he goes up the beam after the TIM confrontation than before.

Also those oily black shadows, the same kind of shadows the Raachni queen talked about in ME1 when the reapers were controlling the Raachni before.

Again people seemed to have missed my point that the "default" armors I was talking about haven't been seen since ME1. The light beam I mean the one leading up from earth to the citadel. Surely if they were going to lazily throw bodies around it would have been a re-hash of the collector body piles or a use of the current generic soldier that was running down the hill with you.

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
Sandytimeman said:
Joccaren said:
Sandytimeman said:
You really should watch it as most of your debunking posts are actually addressed in the video.

like for instance bioware said in writing that the camera is a character. After Anderson dies, it purposefully shows you holding you side, taking your hand away seeing blood and being surprised. In close up.

after he goes up the beam, he can now dash short bursts and even semi-jump. Objectively he is much healthier after he goes up the beam after the TIM confrontation than before.

Also those oily black shadows, the same kind of shadows the Raachni queen talked about in ME1 when the reapers were controlling the Raachni before.

Again people seemed to have missed my point that the "default" armors I was talking about haven't been seen since ME1. The light beam I mean the one leading up from earth to the citadel. Surely if they were going to lazily throw bodies around it would have been a re-hash of the collector body piles or a use of the current generic soldier that was running down the hill with you.
Honestly I see the evidence and have no proof that IT doesn't work although personally my Shepard wasn't indoctrinated and did get synthesis. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware had intentionally not done anything to actually disprove the IT in the extended cut given the number of people who liked it.

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
I'm glad they gave us more details and expanded upon the outcome of each choice. We finally got a hint as to how this all started.

My biggest beef with the original ending was that the bit with that ghost kid felt like just a cinematic. No questions and only 1 dialog circle. Bioware did a great job improving upon that.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Gizen said:
If by 'a handful of human ships', you mean the entirety of the Alliance's fleets, as well as the Turian/Asari fleets assigned to defend the Citadel, then yes. And even then, they still only won the battle because Sovereign made the mistake of possessing Saren's corpse to try and kill you, which backfired and overloaded his shields when you destroyed Saren for good. And even after all that, the Alliance's fleets still took heavy losses. And that was for one Reaper. One that wasn't even the biggest or the strongest. No, the reapers were quite thoroughly built up as an insurmountable threat right from the beginning, and ME3 is what happens when you have thousands upon thousands of them all coming at once.
If by handful of human ships I mean a single unprepared fleet(with no dreadnoughts), engaged with geth forces, supporting what's left of the defence forces (who also had no dreadnoughts, and were also surprise attacked), yes, those are who I'm talking about. And It was a single fleet, you can check it out in your war assets (Not to mention, the weapons on the old normandy, not even the upgraded thanix cannons, could pierce directly through a reaper. I'd say the extra ships were overkill).

If the turian dreadnoughts were there and prepared for battle, sovereign would have fell long before he even got close to the citadel, as evidenced in me3 when a single dreadnought during the siege of palaven Short warped right into the middle of the reapers, and managed to kill several before succumbing to fire. it's either in the codex or the war assets I don't remember. And if you watch the cutscene when the victory fleet arrives, they get the first few volleys off, that tactical advantage alone should have annihilated a good chunk of the reaper ships, based only on prior engagements.

the reapers were not as built up in the previous games or hell, even in early ME3, as much as they were in the last 4-5 hours of gameplay. All other evidence points to them being able to be defeated.

They did give explanation during the course of the assault on Cerberus HQ. EDI describes during the mission how Civilians lured to Sanctuary by promises of safety are rounded up, indoctrinated to be loyal to Cerberus and given reaper tech surgical implants that make them individually tougher than any Alliance soldier, and are then turned into new shocktroops for Cerberus's forces. Also, for many (though certainly not all) of the places where you fight Cerberus, they literally WERE unopposed. Everyone was so focused on the Reapers that there weren't enough forces left to defend areas from Cerberus. The only major exception to this is when they attacked the Citadel, but even then they had a member of the Citadel council help them sneak on-board to launch a surprise attack.
That is not sufficient. Cerberus Should not be able to support such a large force, they don't make that kind of money. Assault gear for literally thousands of troops, those implants for all those troops, dozens of cruisers, equipped with light interceptors, whole new space stations. They didn't have those before. It went from 150 people, divided into three cells, one of which was Miranda's, to a full military force in less than 6 months, as I understand it. I doubt they had more spaceships then they could staff just lying around for no reason, so they all had to be bought/built recently. That's a lot of up front cash, and I'm only willing to accept so much "well the illusive man is rich" BS, he just magically comes up with the funds.

It wasn't Miranda's dad either, he spent his money on rigging the aforementioned refuge colony, which also makes little sense as there wasn't many refuges before the reapers attacked, so I fail to see how sanctuary could have possible supplied his troops Pre-Invasion, which he did have during his coup on Mars.

Also, how the hell did all those Cerberus troops fit in two makos, as your squad member so elegantly put it, there were at least 50 in that base alone, no way 1 shuttle and 2 tanks carried them in.

Like I said, it just reeks of classic power creep nonsense.

Also, why the HELL is earth Alliance space so DAMN huge! The asari/turians/salarians only have one system each, but earth gets this massive chunk of the galaxy? Nonsense.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
lord Claincy Ffnord said:
1337mokro said:
If you like the extended cut. Please do pick the refusal ending. I view that ending as Bioware venting it's rage at the fans for being loud enough that they had to go back into the box and edit the cut footage back in.

Just as a question. Why when you pick the fourth ending does the god child get angry? Isn't that what he wants you to do? Why does he find the other endings more preferable and the ending where you let things play out enrages him? The god child doesn't bat an eye at the destruction of his own creators, nor at millions of years of genocide.

But you refusing to play along makes him shout in the Harbinger voice? Quite amusing. I imagine that ending as being the middle finger of the bunch. Erected firmly up at the fans who didn't want to play along and rejected all three endings. Just goes to show, Bioware isn't above trolling the fans, so you shouldn't be above trolling Bioware.

It just amuses me so much.
I'd say he gets angry cos he just asked you to help determine the fate of the galaxy and you essentially gave him the finger. Also in that he's looking for a change of some sort as he says his solution wont work anymore and your refusing to change things. So yeah, he gets angry.
I can't really buy that. It's sort of the "Omnipotent being that can't intervene" excuse. If he wants to change something. Why doesn't the kid look out the fucking window, see the Geth and Quarians and all other organic life fight side by side against the reapers and then just deactivates all of them.

If he wanted change he didn't need Shepard, the kid just needed eyes. No, to me it's just much more likely this was a very angry Bioware employer wanting to express his feelings towards the customers.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Innegativeion said:
I.Muir said:
If there was no catalyst the end would be great
Since he is still there the end is still shit
Bio ware obviously thought people were going nuts because the ending was too sad or something and are therefore deluded. They must actually think that ending makes sense or at least somebody more important than the rest does.
Alas his very existence pretty much ruins the ending's narrative coherence, though he isn't the only problem by far, he is by far the biggest one.

-His very existence renders the keepers pointless and therefor unravels Mass Effect 1's main conflict in its entirety, as well as destroying the significance of ilos and its prothean scientists.

-His arguments still make no sense, even given the additional background we get in EC. In fact, his new background makes him the perpetrator of his own motivation, "created always rebels etc."

-There is no legitimate reason ever given as to why he, as the citadel, is incapable of using the crucible

-He completely devalues the existence of the otherwise well-done harbinger character, rendering him redundant, pointless, and nullifying a full game's worth of great characterization of him in Mass Effect 2

-He is revealed as "the big bad" essentially, the main antagonist, leader of our enemy, in the last 5 minutes of the last game of a trilogy

-If he controls the reapers and is the citadel, then there should be no reason why he kept the transport beam on during the battle for london

-If he's so damn certain of his fucking motives, why even give the destruction choice, which he claims won't solve anything? Why not just offer to fly the reapers into a black hole if we ask him to, so we can save the geth and joker's girlfriend?
Well, Catalyst is not an awful character anymore, he's simply a crappy one and I wouldn't consider him the big baddie, just because he is the last character you meet. He is simply a Reaper AI and doesn't have complete power, that and the fact that the Crucible worked as some sort of hack of his functions is why he can't choose unless Shepard acts. That's why even if he represents the Reapers and their "solution" he can't simply destroy Shepard and continue with the mission. He has been changed as he states. He's not even a Deus Ex Machina, but simply an informer of Reapers' mission and of possibilities.

That's why I don't think Catalyst is so awful with the new EC, because I don't give him as much importance as you do.

Captcha: modern love

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
The problem with the star child is that it's a case of Deus Ex Machina. For three long games, the story has been built up along certain guidelines. In the end though, you're given a choice that has nothing to do with the rest of the game. Perhaps it is even more striking that the choice you're offered is a straight up rip-off of the ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's kind of ironic the name of the game they are ripping off is a reference to phrase referring to a terrible writing technique. This star child has no purpose in the narrative and thus is jarringly out of place when presented at the end. The dream-sequences are vague enough to have simply been shoe-horned in to justify what was otherwise a completely ridiculous scene. The problem with the ending isn't how short it is or how happy it is. The problem with the ending is that it is unconnected to the rest of the game. When I played it before, I just became bored. From what I have heard, Bioware has done nothing to rectify that situation - not that I think they should have. They screwed up and just need to accept that and move on.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Wahey! I am pleased to see I am not the only one happy with the extended cut. Since release the internet still seems to be filled with hate even with this good gesture from Bioware for their fans.

Perhaps its the lack of Indoctrination theory but personally I was satisfied with the conclusion to the trilogy after this release.

With one small exception: My Shepard had a first name dammit!

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
pilouuuu said:
Remember that he isn't "changed" until the crucible is actually hooked up to him, so up until get into the citadel(unnoticed by harbinger who is probably nearsighted or something) and hackett receives a convenient text message from faceless soldier mook B, the catalyst is still in complete control. He could've easily turned off the citadel beam, whathave you.

He fits the definition of deus ex machina to a "T". The term comes from greek plays in which a conflict of epic proportion would be neatly and conveniently solved by a god "deus" literally descending from on high via a pulley machine "machina" to wrap everything up. That is EXACTLY what the star child does. He can conveniently use the crucible to send out a giant "FUCK YALL" wave of destruction across the galaxy to fix everything, despite such functionality never being alluded to before.

He also fits the term literally as well, he is a "god" (of the reapers) that comes from a "machine" (the citadel).

Despite any explanation his existence still renders the entire conflict of Mass Effect 1 pointless by nullifying any purpose of the keepers, and renders the otherwise excellently characterized harbinger(up until he got no lines in the 3rd installment) redundant and pointless as well. Not to mention if he's the citadel he could easily at any point during the trilogy just have turned off all artificial environments, killing the entirety of his enemies' leadership.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
Timmibal said:
EnigmaticSevens said:
To know that my dear Shepard advanced all creation to the supreme point of consciousness? Excellent! Behold Secher Nbiw! Behold the Golden Path!
I think Control embodies Secher Nbiw more than Synthesis. Remember the Golden Path was SUPPOSED to fail eventually. Likewise I give it a few millenia before Shep 'loses' his memories of humanity (They become subsumed in the yottabytes of new data his gestalt intelligence has processed) and starts actively fucking with sapient life for 'the good of the many'.
I can see that logic to an extent. But recall that Secher Nbiw translated roughly into 'pure survival', no more, no less. The extent to which one believes it was 'supposed to fail', ties into how much credence one gives those last two pieces of mediocre fan fiction cavorting about in the clothes of novels. I don't consider any of the works written by the son to be canon, ALL HAIL THE FATHER!

Secher Nbiw meant the survival of humanity until it reached the point where it no longer needed, and could no longer be controlled by a single oracular presence. Oddly enough, I think the whole 'loose touch with humanity' things is a rather forced assumption, imperfect figures transposing their qualities on an ascended being. The Star Child was the first, The Shepard is the second, a once organic intelligence becoming purely synthetic doesn't necessarily imply degradation in some far away future. Maybe the Shepard with the ludicrous amount of drive and will it took to become the new Catalyst in the first place, will make a pretty awesome god. There are too many variables. (Although, it feels sort've like making Roland of Gilead the new god, and I'm not sure how that would turn out....)

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Innegativeion said:
pilouuuu said:
Remember that he isn't "changed" until the crucible is actually hooked up to him, so up until get into the citadel(unnoticed by harbinger who is probably nearsighted or something) and hackett receives a convenient text message from faceless soldier mook B, the catalyst is still in complete control. He could've easily turned off the citadel beam, whathave you.

He fits the definition of deus ex machina to a "T". The term comes from greek plays in which a conflict of epic proportion would be neatly and conveniently solved by a god "deus" literally descending from on high via a pulley machine "machina" to wrap everything up. That is EXACTLY what the star child does. He can conveniently use the crucible to send out a giant "FUCK YALL" wave of destruction across the galaxy to fix everything, despite such functionality never being alluded to before.

He also fits the term literally as well, he is a "god" (of the reapers) that comes from a "machine" (the citadel).

Despite any explanation his existence still renders the entire conflict of Mass Effect 1 pointless by nullifying any purpose of the keepers, and renders the otherwise excellently characterized harbinger(up until he got no lines in the 3rd installment) redundant and pointless as well. Not to mention if he's the citadel he could easily at any point during the trilogy just have turned off all artificial environments, killing the entirety of his enemies' leadership.
For some reason I don't dislike Starchild as much. Before EC his dialogues were nonsensical and ilogical, but now at least the fixed it a bit. I think of him more like the Arquitect in the Matrix whose function in the plot is to inform the hero about what's going on. And I also think that the Crucible is what allows the Catalyst to give different options to Shepard and find a new solution, that's why I consider the Crucible truly important and it has been talked about the whole game, so it's not like they added it at last time. For me Catalyst is like an advanced Avina and not much more. That though makes him much more tolerable.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
The.Bard said:
Its not that I have a problem with the indoctrination theory, I just don't subscribe to it. However of the points you just made there there is a couple that I am curious as to how they support it. Firstly, why does the child speaking with what sounds like Harbringers voice support indoctrination, it certainly makes sense with indoctrination but it also makes perfect sense without. Secondly I am yet to hear why, in light of the EC, Shepard wakes up in London, as now the citadel only completely explodes in synthesis and is otherwise only damaged, his waking up amid wreckage, while still fitting the IT no longer is evidence for it.
Well, the thing to remember is that we're talking about completely subjective things, so when I mention evidence, I'm not really talking about it as ipso facto proof of IT as much as I am evidence for me that supports my own interpretation. It's a minor difference, but worth noting, as the proof in this case only needs to convince me. 8D

I'll agree the Harbinger voice could easily be used to just show the AI child is a reaper, but for me, it immediately made me envision Harbinger chuckling to himself from a hiding spot beneath the floor, holding up a little boy puppet and thinking " oh man, is Shepard EVER going to fall for this! Hahahaha!"

As for Shepard, in Destroy the explosion goes off in his face and engulfs him, and when they show the Citadel later on, it's badly mangled. And the wreckage Shepard is in, as before, is clearly not Citadel in make. It's concrete. So my interpretation is Shepard is definitely waking up on Earth, and if the Citadel is no longer completely destroyed, then he would have to still be on it if all of that was reality. And he's not. Not to me.

Whatever ending each of us believes, I'm very glad Bioware left the evidence to go either way. Reminds me of an MC Escher drawing, where you see two different pictures depending how you look at it.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
1337mokro said:
If you like the extended cut. Please do pick the refusal ending. I view that ending as Bioware venting it's rage at the fans for being loud enough that they had to go back into the box and edit the cut footage back in.

Just as a question. Why when you pick the fourth ending does the god child get angry? Isn't that what he wants you to do? Why does he find the other endings more preferable and the ending where you let things play out enrages him? The god child doesn't bat an eye at the destruction of his own creators, nor at millions of years of genocide.

But you refusing to play along makes him shout in the Harbinger voice? Quite amusing. I imagine that ending as being the middle finger of the bunch. Erected firmly up at the fans who didn't want to play along and rejected all three endings. Just goes to show, Bioware isn't above trolling the fans, so you shouldn't be above trolling Bioware.

It just amuses me so much.
Bioware, in this moment, is laughing quietly for giving all the Indocrination Theory supporters more arguments: THE KID IS ANGRY CAUSE YOU DIDN'T GET INDOCRINATED! we will hear. SHEPARD IS STILL ALIVE IN DESTROY, THERE IS STILL HOPE some might say. And Bioware is laughing at their desesperation.

I am obviously exagerating, but as a IT theorist this shit activates the red light in my head. But I know it's just Bioware being sloppy like usual and there is no chance in hell the IT is alive. ALthough many people in the ME forums are still ranting.

OT: C- at the ending. I really had no sense of closure. Maybe it's just me but I felt this EC was nothing more than taking the turd the original ending was and putting it in a pedestal for us to admire.

A shit, even if the most well lighted shit of them all, is still a shit.

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
The.Bard said:
The.Bard said:
Its not that I have a problem with the indoctrination theory, I just don't subscribe to it. However of the points you just made there there is a couple that I am curious as to how they support it. Firstly, why does the child speaking with what sounds like Harbringers voice support indoctrination, it certainly makes sense with indoctrination but it also makes perfect sense without. Secondly I am yet to hear why, in light of the EC, Shepard wakes up in London, as now the citadel only completely explodes in synthesis and is otherwise only damaged, his waking up amid wreckage, while still fitting the IT no longer is evidence for it.
Well, the thing to remember is that we're talking about completely subjective things, so when I mention evidence, I'm not really talking about it as ipso facto proof of IT as much as I am evidence for me that supports my own interpretation. It's a minor difference, but worth noting, as the proof in this case only needs to convince me. 8D

I'll agree the Harbinger voice could easily be used to just show the AI child is a reaper, but for me, it immediately made me envision Harbinger chuckling to himself from a hiding spot beneath the floor, holding up a little boy puppet and thinking " oh man, is Shepard EVER going to fall for this! Hahahaha!"

As for Shepard, in Destroy the explosion goes off in his face and engulfs him, and when they show the Citadel later on, it's badly mangled. And the wreckage Shepard is in, as before, is clearly not Citadel in make. It's concrete. So my interpretation is Shepard is definitely waking up on Earth, and if the Citadel is no longer completely destroyed, then he would have to still be on it if all of that was reality. And he's not. Not to me.

Whatever ending each of us believes, I'm very glad Bioware left the evidence to go either way. Reminds me of an MC Escher drawing, where you see two different pictures depending how you look at it.
I would not be remotelty surprised to learn that Bioware intentionally structured the EC such that it did nothing to contradict the IT. So that people who wanted that ending could have it =)

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Hey! We got our little blue babies after all! I mean, sure, they're little Krogan babies only wearing blue clothing, but that still meets the literal demand of all the Liara fans, right? I bet they're so happy.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Sandytimeman said:
My problem is that the new endings would never be as exciting or as cool as the indoctrination theory. As I tweeted to Grey, nothing can beat a mountain dew fueled conspiracy theory.

I was right for the most part the new endings with the plot holes dry walled and patched just doesn't leave me disappointed but it doesn't excite me either.

Now that the ending is out I would like to see Casey Hudson give a play by play on why this video is completely wrong.

Like why are the piles of bodies next to the pillar of light, why are the dead bodies wearing the same default armors as Ashley and Kaiden.

Why you see the oily shadows during the confrontation with TIM and Anderson. Why when you shoot Anderson you are then wounded and why when you reach the top of the light you arn't wounded anymore?

There are tons of tiny details that are still left unexplained and I would really like some answers.
I might recall that they said that, even with the extended endings, there would still be space for mindless speculation, so, if proven wrong, there's still room for the Indoctrination believers and theorize to their heart's content.

As for myself, I'm in the same stance as Susan, the Synthesis ending, although a bit wierd and silly, it's the closest to a "happily ever after" ending we could ever wished for and a fairly satisfactory one at that.

And yes, I almost cried when Liara puts Shepard's name on the wall.

Halvhir

Oct 25, 2009
The main thing that pushed the original ending over the edge for me was the insinuation that we were actually blowing up all the Relays, and by extension obliterating the solar systems they were next to. Just taking that away, making the repair job to get the entire universe connected again a matter of years or decades instead of millenia, soothes a great deal of the frustration I had to begin with.

While there's still a lot I don't like about the pick-a-button, any button endings to epic games like this, it's bearable now. I had the same issue with Deus Ex: HR's ending, but now I think I like this one better. Tolerable, though I'd still like to actually DO something to get my ending, instead of getting a dialogue selection.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Sandytimeman said:
Being surprised? Hardly. From the look on Shepard's face it seemed like he knew he was hurt, and he was going to die alongside Anderson. There was no surprise. There was a "So this is how it ends" moment.
Even now, after having had this whole thing explained to me numerous times, I cannot see a correlation here. There is basically nothing to suggest it.

If we're talking about the synthesis run up - cinematic magic. Bioware goes with what looks cool rather than what is 100% lore correct, as evidenced by the Sword fight. Otherwise, shift did not allow you to sprint throughout the entire sequence. You still had to limp.

Aaaand? The Rachni Queen references oily black shadows souring the songs of her mothers or W/E, therefore all oily black shadows are indoctrination?
Also, do remember that TIM is there using Reaper control methods to try and control Shepard.

http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/1/topic/355/index/12186544/1

Already been addressed.

As I said, were I to send "Proof" of a similar level at IT, for example, the fact that the higher your EMS the more options you unlock - both of which the IT counts as the "False" options - I would be met with an explanation from the perspective of IT that the Reapers don't think they need to Indoctrinate Shepard if your EMS is too low, thus they give the only right option to him as his only option, or something else along similar lines.
Likewise, this "Evidence" you are levelling can be dispelled if you look at some of these things without the IT glasses, and try to actually find a straight forward explanation for them. To date I have not seen one example where there hasn't been a face value explanation for something in IT. Its just whether you're willing to accept that there can be or not.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
I'm with Susan on this. I'm much happier with the endings now. My only concern is that Harbinger is a bit of a Bond villain now - SHOOT THE NORMANDY, IT'S THE SHIP THAT'S BEEN MESSING UP YOUR PLANS SINCE FOREVER, SHOOT IT! A ten-second scene of Joker battering Harbinger away just long enough for pickup would have done it, but instead Harbinger just sits there "Oh, you're having a moment? Sorry, let me know when you're done".

The endings are obviously papered-over, but if I'd seen those first time I would have been happy. I'm only disappointed because I see where the cracks used to lie, and I know they tried to sell that to me as a finished product. I would also have liked Anderson's "You'd have made a great mother" speech to have made it in.

For me Sythesis is my "happy" ending. The cycle is over and those lost in previous cycles are honoured by their living monuments in the Reapers. The Reapers contain the knowledge and culture of those cycles - the "Yo I heard you don't like being killed by Synthetics" argument ignores the fact that the Reapers "harvest", they don't eradicate. The clue is in the name.

But watching Liara put Penethé's name on the wall and listening to EDI narrate while she looked on the brink of breakdown... well, manly tears were had.

Requiescat in pace, Commander Shepard.