Mass Effect 3 will be incomplete

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G2d57caeFUAAAAAAAAAA

basically, an extremely vital part of the mass effect lore and story has been cut out and will be sold as dlc on launch day. it will be free if you have the collectors edition but everyone else will have to pay $10 for it. now im all for giving people a reason to buy a game new but this does the exact opposite. i have no reason to buy the game new anymore because just to get the complete story i will have to buy the dlc anyway. it just strikes me as a big "fuck you" to the fans. bravo, EA, bravo.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
You realise there's something like three threads on this topic on the first page alone, right?

As for the actual subject...

We don't know what role the DLC character plays. How do you know he is a "vital part of the lore" any more than, say, Kasumi? All the angry guy in your absurdly long video says is, "He's a fucking Prothean!" Because that's all he knows about it.

Personally, I'll be getting it free with the special edition thingy anyway which, thanks to Australia's bizarre pricing, was cheaper for me than buying retail.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Zhukov said:
We don't know what role the DLC character plays. How do you know he is a "vital part of the lore" any more than, say, Kasumi? All the guy in the video says is, "He's a fucking Prothean!" Because that's all he knows about it.
true, it is mostly speculation. but given the significance of that race to the story of the game and its lore, it seems like it would likely be a really important character and could provide a lot of answers. game companies have done shit like this before, like final fantasy 13-2 making one of the endings of the game, dlc

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Considering how Bioware has done most of their character-related DLC lately (Dragon age, ME2, DA2 etc.) I think it is more or less safe to assume you'll get a character that contributes very little substanec to the actual plot but has a sidequest or two related to it and that can provide some extra line of lore/thematic dialogue under the right circumstances.

Keep in mind that neither Shale, Sebastian, Kasumi or Zaeed were super-duper special outside of their own side missions. In the case of Kasumi and Zaeed they were even more sloppily made then the rest of your crew. Shale was a golem (and your only golem companion), and I think it is safe to assume that our friend the prothean will be pretty much like Shale.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
00slash00 said:
Zhukov said:
We don't know what role the DLC character plays. How do you know he is a "vital part of the lore" any more than, say, Kasumi? All the guy in the video says is, "He's a fucking Prothean!" Because that's all he knows about it.
true, it is mostly speculation. but given the significance of that race to the story of the game and its lore, it seems like it would likely be a really important character and could provide a lot of answers. game companies have done shit like this before, like final fantasy 13-2 making one of the endings of the game, dlc
or it could just be a great insight into what the universe use to be like and what mistakes the Protheans did when the Repears attacked them. We have no idea, I'm still going to get it even though I do 100% believe this is a money move. There is absolutely no reason they couldn't of included this in the game straight out of the box.

Raognerrrm

Apr 2, 2011
My understanding is that he will still be in the game, but the DLC will allow him to be part of your squad and give you an extra mission (or more).
Someone from Bioware also said that they started making the DLC after Mass Effect 3 had gone gold. This means it's not using up the development time, and basically gives Bioware something to do while they wait for Microsoft and Sony to test the actual game.
Thus, I have no problem with it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
00slash00 said:
Zhukov said:
No, it's all speculation.

Why anyone would throw these childish online tantrums over purely speculative matters is a mystery to me.

Fucking gamers, man. Most entitled pack of whiners I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Zhukov said:
Fucking gamers, man. Most entitled pack of whiners I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.
and here you are on a website filled with nothing but gamers. must be your own personal hell

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
00slash00 said:
Zhukov said:
and here you are on a website filled with nothing but gamers. must be your own personal hell
At times. A certain attitude is required to make it bearable.

Besides, as always, there are a few grains of wheat among the mountainous piles of chaff.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
Raognerrrm said:
My understanding is that he will still be in the game, but the DLC will allow him to be part of your squad and give you an extra mission (or more).
Someone from Bioware also said that they started making the DLC after Mass Effect 3 had gone gold. This means it's not using up the development time, and basically gives Bioware something to do while they wait for Microsoft and Sony to test the actual game.
Thus, I have no problem with it.
This is what I assumed/heard as well. If this turns out not to be true, well... I'll be pissed. But I'll also be playing the Collectors Edition, so on a different level I won't care. :p

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
00slash00 said:
Zhukov said:

Why anyone would throw these childish online tantrums over purely speculative matters is a mystery to me.

Because they are the 99%

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
boag said:
Zhukov said:
00slash00 said:
Zhukov said:

Because they are the 99%
The 99% dicks.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Yeah it's annoying as hell, EA and Bioware suck and we should all hate them but there are already like 2 or 3 other threads on this and another one wasn't really required.

Although this is really damn annoying, im probably going to hold out on getting Mass effect 3 for now, did they ever release versions of Mass effect 1 and 2 that had all the DLC pakced in eventully like Oblivion and Fallout did? Cus I would prefer to just wait for one of those, but im not sure if EA does them.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Gethsemani said:
Considering how Bioware has done most of their character-related DLC lately (Dragon age, ME2, DA2 etc.) I think it is more or less safe to assume you'll get a character that contributes very little substanec to the actual plot but has a sidequest or two related to it and that can provide some extra line of lore/thematic dialogue under the right circumstances.

Keep in mind that neither Shale, Sebastian, Kasumi or Zaeed were super-duper special outside of their own side missions. In the case of Kasumi and Zaeed they were even more sloppily made then the rest of your crew. Shale was a golem (and your only golem companion), and I think it is safe to assume that our friend the prothean will be pretty much like Shale.
That is an excellent point. Shale could have had a lot more plot significance. But no, Shale only had several lines to add to a later quest that revealed everything about golems anyway. The reason is that Shale didn't know anything. And we can safely say (or "speculate", if you wish) that the Promethean character may have little to no idea of what's going on or maybe cannot share the information for one reason or another.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Wait until the actual game is out or until we get some confirmation on this before you start crucifying people. Jesus Christ, this website has some of the biggest drama queens.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Michael Gamble said:
- "From Ashes" includes the Prothean squad mate, an adventure on Eden Prime, a new weapon, and an alternate
appearance for every squad mate. Note that these alternate appearances are in addition to the ones already advertised in the CE.

- The Collectors Edition has been advertised from the beginning as containing a bonus character/mission, but we were not at liberty to provide the details. The Prothean is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans, which is why he is part of the CE offering (the version many fans would be likely to purchase). Mass Effect 3 is a complete - and a huge game - right out of the box.

- The content in "From Ashes" was developed by a separate team (after the core game was finished) and not completed until well after the main game went into certification.

- The Collectors Edition has been sold out in most places for some time now, and is becoming very hard to find (many players prefer not to purchase the digital version). As such, we wanted to make this content available so that SE buyers could also incorporate the Prothean into their game.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9403705

I'll just leave the official statement of Bioware here, despite people probably going to cry out that it is just lies and propaganda.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
Don't see a problem with it.

I wouldn't want him in my team anyway.

GO GARRUS-WREX TEAM

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Zhukov said:
Well bloody said.

OT
I've never heard so much simpering and bitching. Oh wait, I have. Constantly.
I'll say this simply and use small words.
If you don't like the DLC, don't bloody well buy it.
Stop fucking harping on about it. Get over yourselves and the issue.
In fact, it's barely an issue. People are blowing it out of proportion to make themselves feel important.
They can't even use it out of context because there is no context.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
DoPo said:
the Promethean character may have little to no idea of what's going on or maybe cannot share the information for one reason or another.
That's what I thought at 1st, that being in cryo will have damaged his memory or something so he can't tell you about the Protheans, (although at least we will now know what the look like) because if he was that good of a character, denying people the content would be too much of a dickish thing to do, but then I realized, actually no, there is really no limit to how much of a dick EA will be. But still people should wait to see if he is any good before getting too angry about it.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Zhukov said:
You realise there's something like three threads on this topic on the first page alone, right?

As for the actual subject...

We don't know what role the DLC character plays. How do you know he is a "vital part of the lore" any more than, say, Kasumi? All the angry guy in your absurdly long video says is, "He's a fucking Prothean!" Because that's all he knows about it.

Personally, I'll be getting it free with the special edition thingy anyway which, thanks to Australia's bizarre pricing, was cheaper for me than buying retail.

I find it amusing that people think just because the character is Prothean that he/she will some how be super important. What if they are just a really lucky Prothean redneck janitor that survived all this time out of shear luck. Unlikely, I know but thinking that this some how changes the story is stupid.

The whole of the Prothean race couldn't not stop the Reapers I doubt 1 lone Prothaen is going to be a game changer.