Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

Masteryuri666

Apr 9, 2010
Makes sense since this is how trilogies tend to work but I hope they don't overdue the darkness or the humour. I mean, this is genocide on a galactic level so it's gonna be a bit difficult to see the humour in a situation when extinction could be waiting for you right around the corner.

I'd much rather be hearing about just what the hell is going on in ME3. Like how much time has passed and how will your squad in ME2 affect our ME3 play-through. Oh and we better get the chance to show the Turian Councilor just how badly he screwed up.

OrdinaryGuy

Oct 19, 2009
As long as the story remains dark and serious, having those funny moments make it even better. Just keep them somewhat separated.

Malone II

Jun 3, 2010
I kinda thought ME2 was a bit asphyxiating compared to ME1. It was all about the mission and your squad, alot less exploring and getting missions from random people.
I know the planetary sections in me1 were tedious, but like yhatzee said, it gave it the sense of grandure and epicness.
Although if they brought back the ME1 planet exploring but used the firewalker instead. That would be awesome.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I suppose I could make a bunch of crazy conjectures about a game that isn't out yet and say "oh my god this will be the suxxors" but I'm not going to. Know why? Because the game isn't out yet or even very far along in development and therefore idle speculation is pointless and furthermore, silly.

I trust BioWare enough with their own IP to not fuck it up, I don't know why so many others in this thread have so little faith.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
As long as gameplay is at least on par with or better than the second game.

If gameplay reverts to the first game, I shall be quite put out.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Luke's arm getting cut off in Empire and Ewoks in Return...I was kinda expecting this. I mean thats how trilogies work right? "Set up character, good wins" "Good kinda looses, sadness" "Good rapes evil up the butthole and there is an abundance of wisecracks"

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Bioware know how to make a thrilling game, that's for sure. I enjoyed Mass Effect 2's dark side, though if the third will have a lightened sense, I'm all for it as long as the humour is witty and well done.

Captain Ninja

May 9, 2009
as long as it does not get in the way of the story i will be fine with it, and if the humor is anything like Mordins singing then count me in!

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Please, for the love of God, Bioware, do not change the tone too much. There's a reason why The Empire Strikes Back was the best in the trilogy.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Sweet. I have to say I preferred the original Mass Effect's aesthetic design to the sequel and even though the darkness was still well realised and there were some great moments with characters I think Mass Effect works better when its brightly coloured and beautiful rather than dark and ominous.
Still I remember Kollega saying Mass Effect 1 was like old sci fi like Flash Gordan whereas Mass Effect 2 was like Blade Runner and other gritty eighties sci fi movies so I suppose a lighthearted change is expected in Mass Effect 3.

Still I hope that the story is appropriatley epic and as long as Ashley and Wrex and Garrus and Tali are back on for the ride I have no doubt we'll hear some great lines from the cast if nothing else.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
I hope they don't lighten it too much. Renegade Sheperd in the first one was just a jerk for the sake of it. In the second one he actually seemed like a badass willing to do whatever it takes.

Paragon seems to have kept consistent with his heroics, but renegades all over the place.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Xaositect said:
jthm said:
hmm... ME2 = 100% improvement on ME1... Here's a thought, Don't change a damn thing, you did good, now keep doing good.
Heres a thought Bioware, dont listen to views like this.

Plenty of us thought ME2 was a dumbed down Gears of War clone that sucked ass, and need to see even more "drastic improvements" to win us back.

Of course, with the rumour of multiplayer floating around, I guess "listening to the fans" has gone out of fashion now that supposedly doing so has led you to pandering to the shooter fanbase above all else.

Pity the rumour is the sales arent looking like it was such a smashing "shooter success". Its nowhere near Gears of War.
Maybe if you only played some crap like soldier class, I could almost see your point of view. Fact is though, ME2 was all about the tech and biotic abilities to set it apart from other shooters. Playing it as simply a shooter is a tragic misuse of good game. If you're one of those who found it too easy, do what I did and up the difficulty to hardest.

Now, my comment was directed at the article, in which bioware says they want to lighten up the story. THAT is what I don't want to see happen. If they want to change the mechanics up, I'm game. But the pacing to the first one was boring, the characters were wooden and the story was Cthulu in space. The second game by contrast, had humor, an engaging set of characters and good writing (and better music by far too). If the difference between the first game and second is "darker writing" than they need to keep it like that.

As far as being won back, All I can say is won back to what? What would you like back from the first game? That horrible inventory system? The gel door opening minigame? Clunky goddamn controls and long elevator rides? No, Mass Effect 2 was a step in the right direction (several steps in fact, and at a running pace).

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Xaositect said:
jthm said:
As far as being won back, All I can say is won back to what? What would you like back from the first game? That horrible inventory system? The gel door opening minigame? Clunky goddamn controls and long elevator rides? No, Mass Effect 2 was a step in the right direction (several steps in fact, and at a running pace).
The vastly superior story (anyone who thinks ME2s plot is better is an idiot and is wrong - it sucked). The smaller in number, but better fleshed out characters. The better variety of squadmate banter. The better designed and uninterrupted gameworld, instead of crappy waist high cover as far as the eye can see cluttering up one off "shooting galleries" that finish with a "mission complete" screen (and godawful, boring repetative loading screens playing the same shitty schemetics constantly: ME1 had a clever use of hiding long loading screens - ME2 has long and boring loading screens).

Its always funny to see the ME2 fanboys list off the major flaws of ME1, as if by someone acknowledging the fact that ME2 was a dumbed down piece of shit shooter automatically means that ME1 was gaming perfection.

No, ultimately I just want back from ME1 the feeling of basically playing a game not designed for dumbasses like you.
Still losing that battle against maturity, eh? I like how I'm the "dumbass" yet you're the one to stoop to personal insults over nothing but an opinion. My advice? Stop arguing with me now, you only make yourself look worse. I can't help but wonder if I'm being trolled here.

Your "vastly superior story?" Cthulu in space. Try reading some H.P. Lovecraft, then come tell me I'm wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u590xaLpkDg&feature=related

I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but ME1 was a cover based shooter too. I know it's been a long time since you actually played it, but yes, the run to cover system was there and the only way to win at harder difficulties. ME2 just smoothed it out, made it fit with the controls and the rest of the game. Don't believe me? Here's a walkthrough video, combat starts (and ends quickly) at about the 1:40 mark. Look to the left and right. Why, is that waist high cover in the form of conveniently placed rocks? It is! Continue playing, look for railings, boxes tram car walls. All waist high cover! SHOCK!

SPOILERS

As to the "smaller in number and better fleshed out characters", did we play different games here? I'd like a specific example of any character from Mass Effect 1 having a more fleshed out story than any character in Mass Effect 2. The only one I could see an argument for is Wrex, possibly the only complex character in the first game. And even then, I'd say that finding out your father is a monster (Tali and Jacob, ME2), making the decision between mass murder and mind control (Legion), deciding to show mercy rather than indulge in vengeance (Garrus, who always took revenge in his sidequest in ME1), letting go of your love for the greater good (Kasumi) killing your own daughter to protect strangers from her (Samarra) not telling your people about the war crimes committed against them in order to preserve peace (Legion, Tali) all of these situations and story telling elements are as good as, if not better, the Wrex point to support Saren or not when he cures the Genophage.
So seriously, where is the storytelling better in ME1 than ME2? I really want to know.

Squadmate banter? Is that what you call it when your squad stands in a loading screen/elevator and has a scripted convo that you knew was going to come up when you got in the elevator? That's somehow better than say, Garrus and Tali making fun of that same banter while running through a level? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4qL27phynI&feature=related

You call the elevators clever? Really? I call it pace breaking.

List of improvements.
Loading screen > Endless Elevator Ride
Tweaked mechanics > old, clunky combat engine
firewalker dlc and probes > horrible controlling Mako
ME 2 Music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ME 1 music
weapons specific to classes >>> Everyone gets the same 4 weapons, but only some classes can aim.
Darker storyline, punctuated by humor > Lack of humor or emotional inflection of any kind
ME2 Voice acting >>>>> ME 1 Voice acting.
variety of character models > choice of buff guy or butch chick
Final boss followed by climactic ending scene and promise of new threat rising into credits >>> half hearted ending movie of plotholes followed by... talking to two crap rendered, unlikable characters about which unlikable twat you should leave in charge instead in what amounts to the same conversation regardless of your decision to save/kill the council.

I'll post more as I think of 'em.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
With the ME2 ending, I'm wondering how ME3 will be lighter in tone.

GALACTIC OMNICIDE INBOUND!!!

It will be epic, no doubt about that, but lighthearted? Forgive me if I have my doubts.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Oh, now I'm looking foward to Shepard's "Independence Day" speech to the whole galaxy.
You know it's coming...

DarkHuntress

Apr 8, 2010
I hope this isn't a double post but I am so upset on hearing this news. Why would Bioware change ME3 to make it more "fun" and add more "humor"? If I wanted a game like that I would buy Mario Brothers!

Obviously players like ME as it is they just want more story lines, more adventures..it wasn't Game of the Year because it made you hold your sides while laughing!

I will say this now..If ME3 is a totally different game and if Shepard does indeed die, count me out. I don't want a funny Mass Effect and I don't want a dead Shepard.

I am a loyal Bioware customer, have all of their games, but if this news is true, I will be sorely disappointed. Enough so that I won't even purchase ME3 and you can trust me on that.

What's next? Dragon Age turning into a stand up comedy show?