Mass Effect 3's Ending Was Intended To Polarize

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Hey guys, check this out: http://i.imgur.com/xjXdX.png

I hope this is true. It comes from the same guy that discovered the future MP DLC characters. I highly doubt it will be free though.

I love the new captcha system: baked in a pie

I love pies.
So help me god if you've given me false hope I'll find you when the time comes. That being said, I got my fingers crossed.

Sep 14, 2009
not forgettable? he is doing exactly that, because they are so facepalmingly awful that my brain is going to purposely erase the endngs/game from ever happening, and i'll probably never play the 3rd game single player again thanks to this load of shite. there is a REASON why so many people are pissed off, go deeper bioware, go deeper.

WolfLord

Nov 8, 2011
You're right Casey, ME3 has only had me talking and telling my friends to not buy it, they can borrow mine because god knows I won't be playing it anymore. As for unforgettable? You're also right, I will never forget this. Congratulations that you took a game series that I was fully willing to proclaim best of the last 5 years, and killed all replay value. I had 4 other Shepards to run through 3, but not anymore knowing it's such a waste. Once I figure out how to cancel my TOR subscription I will.

Sep 14, 2009
Adam Jensen said:

I hope this is true. It comes from the same guy that discovered the future MP DLC characters. I highly doubt it will be free though.

I love pies.
if that is, then all MIGHT just be forgiven. that would be amazing.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
In regards to the title since I didn't read the rest due to spoiler warning: that's only a slight notch better than saying it's okay if it sucks because you wanted it to suck. Intended to polarize is the mark of a bad designer who doesn't know what he is doing or how he can engage his audience properly. Why people still call BW games great is beyond me.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Kroxile said:
Its just a bunch of people who have a sad that Shepard actually fucking dies at the end of her trilogy.

Sorry not everything is shit rainbows and vomit skittles in magic fairy wonderland, but sometimes shit just doesn't end that way.

That said; they ought to at least put something in to detail the outcome of the player's choices throughout the game. Other than that the endings were good; leave them alone.
Here, this should make things clearer for you. [http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/]

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
(SPOILERS)

I honestly don't get what all the bitching is about. I absolutely loved the ending. It may not have been the ending I thought it would be, but it was an ending. Real stories end. Mass Effect's just did. I also like that it is open to speculation rather than just telling you what happened.

Proper stories should end with death, one way or another.

Oh and also, that thing after the credits if you destroyed the Reapers. Fucking priceless.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Emiscary said:
Adam Jensen said:

I love pies.
So help me god if you've given me false hope I'll find you when the time comes. That being said, I got my fingers crossed.
Big words. But are you augmented?

Yarpie

Jun 24, 2010
Lord_Gremlin said:
The real irony is, I'm with you on this, and I'm part of that weird camp that actually really liked Dragon Age 2.
I can easily explain that. I hated Dragon Age 2 with a passion, but while ending ignored player choices it made some sense. It's not like they pulled it all out of their butt. There were blood mages in the circle, Meredith was mad, templars were abusive. Ending wasn't satisfying, but it made some sense (I'm done with DA anyway though).
In case of ME3 the only people who love the ending are shooter players who never played 1 and 2 and don't give a damn about story, as long as MP is working fine (it's not working fine though). Because it's not about just ending not giving a damn about player actions. It's flat out stupid, bad writing. What really happened is that they botched original ending and slapped something together from pieces they had already voiced. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995452-mass-effect-3/62230265
For example, Catalyst speech in the very end was originally Harbinger's illusion meant to fool the Shepard and kill her/him. And there was a persuasion check to break this free. But since they were out of time, they used this bit as they used it and the result is flat out stupid.
Reading that makes me feel so damn disappointed. Honestly, even if that isn't the "true original ending", it is an ending I would have accepted in a heartbeat. Hell, I would probably even have liked it. Not all that rosy to be sure, but sure as hell a lot more satisfying.It also brings to light how pointless Harbinger actually is with the current ending setup. He does one thing (shoots at you), something that could have been done by any random reaper.

Oh, and regarding the article: I'm not sure I'd call damn near universal disapproval "polarizing". Also, people aren't trying to interpret the various endings because they are thought provoking, they are doing it trying to salvage the mess and conclude that the endings can't be as bad as they seem.

SunyiNyufi

Sep 4, 2010
Substitute Troll said:
(SPOILERS)

I honestly don't get what all the bitching is about. I absolutely loved the ending. It may not have been the ending I thought it would be, but it was an ending. Real stories end. Mass Effect's just did. I also like that it is open to speculation rather than just telling you what happened.

Proper stories should end with death, one way or another.

Oh and also, that thing after the credits if you destroyed the Reapers. Fucking priceless.
--ALL KINDS OF SPOILERS--
The problem is that Mass Effect was supposed to be a story that is at least co-written by the player, and where your actions and decisions matter. However for slight differences the ending is still the same. Sure your EMS rating makes some difference, but that's just reducing the game to numbers. Also in context of ME3 the kid's reasoning at the end doesn't make any sense at all. Why can't you tell him that you already managed to make synthetics and organics get along (if you did of course), or that you teached an AI what love and life is all about, and that AI is now dating a very much organic guy? And if that was not enough, why is the Normandy flying away from the blast, and jump a mass relay before the explosion? After Thessia, Joker says directly that he blames himself about Shepard dying, why would then he just up and leave Shepard and the biggest battle behind in the most advanced warship in the galaxy? And how come your ground team is suddenly on the Normandy?

People don't hate the ending because it doesn't exactly tell you what happens, or because Shepard dies and you don't get a sunshine-and-bunnies ending. People hate it, because it logically doesn't make sense, ignores all three games and the lore of ME univers.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Really, if they did this just so people would talk about it while they have the "real ending" waiting for DLC I am fucking done. You know who else wanted to polarize their fans to get them talking? Fucking Capcom and Ninja Theory and I normally would never, ever put BIOWARE on the same level as Capcom and definitely not Ninja Theory but... Damnit Bioware, stop jerking us around.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
What was wrong was giving a downer ending for a series known for being a story about achieving the impossible and surviving impossible odds. It was about doing the unthinkable, with the entire galaxy against you.

But as that ex-bioware producer said "Stop thinking you're a producer and telling us when and where we should be building our content."

And with a huge horde of people claiming "gaming entitlement" "entitled gamer" etc and supporting bioware at everything they do, I don't see that changing any time soon.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
Speaking of unforgettable and polarizing, the ME2 ending in the way it works is similar to the sad and infamous act of terrorism in USA on 9/11. You know, the destruction of two towers.
What is important is that neither is a good thing.
Bioware is dead.

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to explain that. Because I don't see any similarities between the ending of that game and a real life tragedy.

OT: To me the endings weren't as bad as most everyone believes they are. I can understand why people would be upset though. It did sort of come out of left field and from what I've gathered, the endings are for mostly the same. I'm fine with it now though. The only thing I would add to the ending would be an epilogue that talks about what happened in the galaxy based on the choices you have made over the course of the series and the fates of your squadmates.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Starke said:
Translation: I meant to do that.
Thank you for giving me hope for the future.

OT: Bioware, please stop trying to piss off me and everyone who cares about you. It's rude, and if you keep it up you won't have any friends soon.

RaeAlethea

Feb 25, 2012
I have hope that something will be done about these endings. Because without hope, we're just like the machines. Bioware can't ignore the overwhelmingly negative response.

Course, if the next DLC announcement is "Take back Omega!", then I'll just sink back into depression.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Well, this is basically the effect of over-marketing.

Mass Effect didn't need the build up. It didn't need the almost relentless teasing of the fan base. People were going to buy it anyway, without any extra prodding.

It's not that surprising. If you bring your target audience to a fever pitch, you can hardly expect them to be rational when it comes to your mistakes.

I'm disappointed by EA Bioware. I loved Mass Effect... it was one of the few games I've been able to play in recent years, and now there's all this crap about the final chapter. I don't even know if it's the final chapter. Instead of a Big Bang ending, I'm getting teased with a slow petering out as they try to milk the franchise with DLC and multi-player.

*sigh*

I wish they had gone the traditional RPG multi-player route, and made a dungeon creator kit. Doing something like that for a third person shooter like Mass Effect would have earned them infinite respect from me.

Ah well, back to my marathon. Started up a new Shepard in one, and going to play right through to the end of three.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Kroxile said:
Its just a bunch of people who have a sad that Shepard actually fucking dies at the end of her trilogy.

Sorry not everything is shit rainbows and vomit skittles in magic fairy wonderland, but sometimes shit just doesn't end that way.

That said; they ought to at least put something in to detail the outcome of the player's choices throughout the game. Other than that the endings were good; leave them alone.
Here, this should make things clearer for you. [http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/]
Thanks I was just getting ready to post that myself.
I really don't understand how anyone can think the ending is good.
It doesn't make any sense in the context of the rest of the series.
It doesn't even make sense in its own internal logic.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Kroxile said:

Personally, I wasn't in the least surprised that Shepard died. Big climactic war, they've said they want to keep the universe going but no more Shepard, it was the most likely scenario, and there's no problem with that in itself. That doesn't change the fact that the endings, regardless of what route they wanted them to take, were just done badly. Both in what they were, and the way they were done, the quality was a significant departure from the rest of the game. LOST's been mentioned before, but that was excusable because LOST was already a confusing metaphysical sack of hedgehogs, so the ending was consistent. Mass Effect 3 gives you whiplash, and then you look to see the car that hit you wasn't even made very well.

And in all honesty, is there anything BioWare can do right now EXCEPT say "Don't worry, this is all part of the plan"? They can't go and say they screwed up, that would jeapordize sales. So they go and say it's all part of the plan, and try to bank off the hype that's being generated. That said, the ending is not 'Divisive'. Divisive implies that the two sides are more or less evenly matched - but from what I've seen so far, people are of the OVERWHELMING opinion that no, the endings are bad. What they're divided on is why they're bad and what should be done, but some common ground is found in that they are bad.