Mass Effect 3's Ending Won't Affect Andromeda

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Solkard said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
All I know is that the Asari in this game apparently took a VERY different evolutionary turn.

Seriously, that is a man's face.
Eh.... you're just looking to stir something up, aren't you?
Stir something up by stating a fact? Seriously, compare her face to Asari from the first three games. Matriarch Aethyta didn't look that masculine and her father was Krogan!

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
That's alright, Mass Effect 3's ending had no effect on Mass Effect 3 either.

On a different note, I wonder how Bioware are going to make people care about his game. I expect it to be very good, but Mass Effect was almost entirely about it's characters and the gameplay was relatively basic. Without Shepard and chums what exactly is the draw?

Of course the new crew could be every bit as charming as the old one, but even if they are Bioware still have to convince everyone of it.
Bioware are pretty damn good at hyping their games up. I mean just look Dragon Age - Inquisition:
- War table to control your Inquisition directly.
- Build up your own castle.
- Conquer outposts and whole secondary fortresses.
- Craft your own weapons and Armor.
- Huge, open world.
- Judge captured enemies.
Most features of that game were designed to sound amazing on paper. It turned out that most of them were rather bland and dull. None of them were really developed or fit well together. But they sounded good on paper and that's what makes people buy these games.
And I am not even being judgy here, I thought that DA:I sounded great on paper myself. I even bought it myself, though not for full price thank god. And I hate myself for it a little bit.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
For a lot of people ME:A is the last chance for Bioware that it hasn't been consumed by the blandness hivemind at EA (next step after that's the grave)... and at the very least, nihilist gamers can be assured that ME is a setting built just for them.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Seems a bit of an unnecessary thing to state given they more or less stated that yonks ago, and everyone always expected as much.
fix-the-spade said:
On a different note, I wonder how Bioware are going to make people care about his game.
'It's Mass Effect' surely suffices. Does for me, anyway.

I expect it to be very good, but Mass Effect was almost entirely about it's characters and the gameplay was relatively basic. Without Shepard and chums what exactly is the draw?
What was the draw before anyone knew about ME1's characters? Triple-A sci-fantasy A/RPG's aren't exactly common.

I more or less adored the trilogy, but characters aren't my real concern with Andromeda (for me BioWare always craft interesting and compelling characters); after DA:I's awful SP MMO design, I'm concerned that idiotic, brainless approach might bleed into ME:A's.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
thebobmaster said:
...Haven't they been saying that since they announced Mass Effect: Andromeda?
Yeah, but they really want to hammer home the fact that the ending doesn't matter.

The only problem is the fact that they can't really do that. Are the Quarians or the Geth still alive? That will affect one of the canon endings. Is the genophage still around? The only way to avoid that question is to remove the Krogans from the game. Did you choose the synthesis ending? There's no way to avoid answering the question, unless your characters wear helmets 24/7. They're either synthesized or their not. What about the red genocide ending (the only one where shepherd lives)? If there are any AI's at all then that ending is invalid. The ending is so messed up that there's no way not to acknowledge it. It's almost like they should have changed it.

Honestly, I like the fact that they went whole hog in Mass Effect 3. People say you're choices didn't matter, but entire races could die based on your decisions. Your choices had plenty of impact. I'm glad they didn't cop out of that just so they could make more sequels. It's just that last ten minutes or so....

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Generally this is a big FUCK YOU from Bioware. You made choices? You did something in previous games? Well, fuck you, it's meaningless! It's a foul move on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Darth Rosenberg said:
What was the draw before anyone knew about ME1's characters? Triple-A sci-fantasy A/RPG's aren't exactly common.

I more or less adored the trilogy, but characters aren't my real concern with Andromeda (for me BioWare always craft interesting and compelling characters); after DA:I's awful SP MMO design, I'm concerned that idiotic, brainless approach might bleed into ME:A's.
Well, Mass Effect came out at a time (nine years ago!) when the phrase Bioware RPG was enough in of itself. The run into Mass Effect was Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire.

This time they're coming from Dragon Age 2, The Old Republic, Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Bioware doesn't quite engender the same overwhelming confidence that it did a decade ago.

Also, Back then Mass Effect was new and interesting, it was space opera that wasn't Star Wars. The new one is effectively a reboot, with what's been shown so far I honestly think it would be better off as a new IP and not a spin off.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Fox12 said:
thebobmaster said:
...Haven't they been saying that since they announced Mass Effect: Andromeda?
Yeah, but they really want to hammer home the fact that the ending doesn't matter.

The only problem is the fact that they can't really do that. Are the Quarians or the Geth still alive? That will affect one of the canon endings. Is the genophage still around? The only way to avoid that question is to remove the Krogans from the game. Did you choose the synthesis ending? There's no way to avoid answering the question, unless your characters wear helmets 24/7. They're either synthesized or their not. What about the red genocide ending (the only one where shepherd lives)? If there are any AI's at all then that ending is invalid. The ending is so messed up that there's no way not to acknowledge it. It's almost like they should have changed it.

Honestly, I like the fact that they went whole hog in Mass Effect 3. People say you're choices didn't matter, but entire races could die based on your decisions. Your choices had plenty of impact. I'm glad they didn't cop out of that just so they could make more sequels. It's just that last ten minutes or so....
Synthesis only affected people within the galaxy, if the arc left the galaxy before the end of ME3 then they will remain unaffected. I don't know if Quarians or Geth are on the arc. Krogan having the Genophage is an interesting question but only Krogans on Tuchanka would have been cured so Krogan could still have it regardless of decisions made in ME3.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
That's alright, Mass Effect 3's ending had no effect on Mass Effect 3 either.
Damn, beaten to it.

Andromeda: where your previous choices don't matter. This should be familiar territory for ME fans.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Darth Rosenberg said:

Well, Mass Effect came out at a time (nine years ago!) when the phrase Bioware RPG was enough in of itself. The run into Mass Effect was Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire.

This time they're coming from Dragon Age 2, The Old Republic, Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Bioware doesn't quite engender the same overwhelming confidence that it did a decade ago.

Also, Back then Mass Effect was new and interesting, it was space opera that wasn't Star Wars. The new one is effectively a reboot, with what's been shown so far I honestly think it would be better off as a new IP and not a spin off.
I'm trying to imagine people's reaction to Bioware coming out with a science fiction space age action rpg and not having it tie into Mass Effect. They're a little screwed either way.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rastrelly said:
Generally this is a big FUCK YOU from Bioware. You made choices? You did something in previous games? Well, fuck you, it's meaningless! It's a foul move on so many levels I don't even know where to start.
A fuck you? Are you serious? Do you really think they're sitting around a table in their volcano lair, aimlessly stroking their white cats, saying "what feature can we remove to best hurt our fanbase?"

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Rastrelly said:
Actually, the big "FUCK YOU" came when they let us shoot that smug little hologram, and apparently that's the "WAAAH! WHY DON'T YOU LIKE YOUR CHOICES? I'LL DROP ROCKS ON EVERYTHING YOU LOVE!" ending.

On Topic: This information was the very first thing announced about the game, I suppose stupid people probably didn't catch it at first but oh well. Either way I just hope to god they don't fuck this up big time.

As much seething, burning rage that the endings from ME3 still make me feel I just pretty much made the Citadel DLC the canon end of my game and assumed my Shepard stopped caring about all the annoying pissants calling for her help after mocking her for several minutes. Hence why they had to send some other mook in N7 armor to handle whatever the hell is happening here.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Something Amyss said:
Rastrelly said:
A fuck you? Are you serious? Do you really think they're sitting around a table in their volcano lair, aimlessly stroking their white cats, saying "what feature can we remove to best hurt our fanbase?"
No, I think they don't give a crap about fanbase - or they'd never make such an ending in the first place (and by ending I mean the whole shitefest which is ME3), but making this stuff not even have consequences (srsly, in one of outcomes all organic life became partially synthetic - whatever it means - and noone even noticed?!), AND potentially completely denominate the Reaper threat by potentially adding safe location to live during their invasion? GENIUS! So, Reapers were not into the life in Milky Way, but Andromedans? Pfff, they're fine. Or what, the Cycle in Andromeda had certain shift?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm actually happy about this. If they aren't going to use the Indoctrination Theory, I'd rather they not outright contradict it.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
I have a feeling they're just going to ignore the choice and go with the destroy ending. Haven't seen hide nor hair of a Geth in anything released yet so it's possible. Plus, I don't think anyone would preform such a massive undertaking like sending off a self sustaining colony ship either during or right before a massive war.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Something Amyss said:
Rastrelly said:
Of course Bioware aren't... the EA executives that hold onto their leashes are!

More off topic: Geez, do you remember when the biggest issue splitting the videogame world was the Mass Effect 3 ending? No gamergate, no Social Justice, no feminism, just pure videogame issues, and we got so angry about it too.

I miss those days. Bring back Zeel!

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Metalix Knightmare said:
Stir something up by stating a fact? Seriously, compare her face to Asari from the first three games. Matriarch Aethyta didn't look that masculine and her father was Krogan!
If you recall, BioWare has been all about "defying traditional beauty standards" of women in video games in recent years, or at least that's their excuse.

They're like the polar opposite of Team Ninja.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Let's think about this, folks: we have a game (okay, trilogy, but work with me here) that had you make a choice that lead to one of three very different endings with many mutually exclusive properties. It comes time to make a sequel. You want to play it out so that the world feels continuous, but you don't want to alienate two thirds of your players. The only way to make that work is either to set it outside the context where the ending you chose matters (which Bioware seems to be doing), or you try to blend the endings to make it seem like they all happened, but none of them stuck. We've already seen what happens when you try that: Invisible War. If Warren Spector couldn't make it work, what chance do a team of EA hacks have?

It's already the only logical option, and when you add in the "destruction of the mass relays annihilated every known civilization in the Milky Way"...

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
You want to know what I hate about Bioware's recent games more than anything?

It's that none of them have been bad enough for me to give up on them.

Yeah, Bioware has slid into mediocrity in recent years, but none of the games have been quite bad enough to get me to stop caring about the properties, and have always left me with just enough hope to say, "Well, maybe the next one will be a return to form". And then when the next one comes out, it's not quite disappointing, but also not quite at the level of quality as their previous works.

I'm still excited; Mass Effect 3 wasn't as sour for me as it was for most of the Internet, but I'm still thinking in the back of my head about all of the things that could possibly go wrong for Andromeda.

God forbid, what if we get another Sera?