Mass Effect 4 Details Possibly Leaked

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
I love it. I see many people not happy about the new galaxy part, but to me it's the best thing about this whole thing (which I hope will end up being true).

To me, dwelling too much in the same place tends to get stale. We've seen a lot of the Milky Way and while there are, of course, infinite possibilities still there, I think that moving to another galaxy gives more opportunities for inventing new stuff. The thought of exploring a new galaxy excites me greatly. While I liked all the games in the original trilogy, I don't think it would be beneficial to tie the new games to that. Not even with the ending. I don't want the new games to be constant callbacks to the previous ones, I want them to be new games. Moving to a different location is a great start for me.

Of course, things can still end up being bad, but so far, I'm excited about these new possibilities.

Captcha: history repeats itself. Is this a warning? :p

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Hades said:
Why still a human? It the last three games they at least had the excuse that it was a new galaxy but now we all know the world I see little reason to lock us into the most boring race in the galaxy.

I don't feel particular connected to humans in games just because I am one. If forced to play them I spend much more time wondering why I can't play any of those cool aliens then any kinship to the digital mankind.
Trust me, you aren't the only one. I'd love the chance to play a Female Turian Sentinel, or a Male Quarian Infiltrator if given the chance. But I think part of it is because, unlike Inquisition where all of the races were essentially different flavors of Human (Normal Humans, the Short Humans, the Wiry Humans with pointy ears, and the Tall, Muscular Humans with big horns), which were all relatively easy to customize the appearance, trying to customize a Turian or a Krogan would be much harder, and trying to customize a Quarian, depending on how they go about them, would probably end up being either useless or amount to customizing their initial suit, assuming they would still wear them.

Regardless, I'm cautiously optimistic. Sure, they took the easy way out to avoid the problem of Mass Effect 3's endings by placing it all in a new Galaxy, but that opens up quite a few possibilities. I'm also hoping that the crew is varied, and isn't essentially a carbon copy of any of the other squadmates that Shepard had. While I really wish the plot didn't sound like it's centered around humanity expanding it's colonies, it could easily be subject to change. I'm a bit iffy when it comes to the idea of raiding "Vaults" left by ancient aliens, it really depends on how they go about it.

Still, looking forward to Mass Effect 4 regardless.

SilverHunter

Sep 22, 2014
IOwnTheSpire said:
Many here are not fond of Inquisition, which is interesting cause most of the reception I've heard has been quite positive.
Here's the thing... For every interesting thing Inquisition did right, Bioware fracked over fifty more things. Multiplayer? The mechanics themselves could be fun, but everything from balance to gear to even just unlocking classes was horribly borked. It grew repetitive by lvl 5 for your first character, and getting new armor, weapons and classes is so nestled in RNG that you'll need to have lightning strike three times in the same place, before you have a chance to potentially unlock a new class. Maps are bland, enemies even more so, and keepers and the barrier spells are so broken it trivializes everything.

And the story...? It's great! For the first quarter of the game. After Skyhold is reached though it's this tepid, weak attempt to try and out hype itself as it draws to a completely boring, uninteresting, unoriginal ending that has no respect for any of your choices. The worst of which is the post credit scene that COMPLETELY negates what would of been a drastic and life-altering detail for either your main character or another.

Then there are companions, which are about as weak as can be. The strong point is Varric. The weak point is there is zero companion quests that have a major turn or revelation. You get maybe one actual quest or interaction, then the rest is carried out through the war table. You don't get to learn or do much of anything with any character. Sera, for instance, has one thing where you go out and deal with her quest personally. The rest? War table missions where all you get is a brief mention of the chaos it caused (or didn't cause) and some approval. And the approval system itself is even weaker than ever. Bioware claimed to have removed it to make it more "realistic", but in all actuality it's a way to hide just how shallow it is to hit "full approval" and how deep it is to go near "full disapproval". From my experience, it takes almost nothing to cause characters to love you, while it takes lots of work in order to get them to hate you.

War table is bloody pathetic, plain and simple. I could write an essay on the various ways it was screwed up. Safe to say the game itself is only 10-15 hours max, with 90+ hours of meaningless, shallow F2P-Quality MMO quest filler. And war tables just add to that with meaningless time-limited mechanics.

But yes. A lot of the early reception was positive. Yet as time has passed people have soured as the game has had time to settle and sink in. The more time is spent, the more that gold paint wears off to expose murky, bland brown.

And what's worse? I'm seeing plenty of these issues likely rising up in ME4. Strike Teams? It's the war table, trading in guaranteed success but sometimes lengthy missions for RNG based success chances that will serve nothing more than a sink for resources for the player. It'll be a way to create an illusion of "careful choice and decision making". This whole "100s of planets" shtick reminds me of Mass Effect 1, which promised much the same but we saw the extent of the copy-paste Lego block level design that later reared its ugly head in Dragon Age 2. The claim of seamless travel moreso, because Inquisition has load times that puts pre-patch Bloodborne to shame. Now, I'm not saying it isn't impossible. MMOs like World of Warcraft load zones as you walk, creating the illusion of a seamless world. Yet that also required server architecture supporting each area, and while it might work for most of one continent, it's only for that continent. Loading is required to switch between them. And, quite obviously, Mass Effect 4 won't have the ability to do this considering it all has to be run off a single console and what information is on the disk.

That's not touching on the utterly bland choice of story presented, the fact that despite being a seemingly generic character we are locked to human, and this "raid" system sounds like a way to shoe-horn gear with stats or the like into the game along with something that could potentially end up being attached to micro transactions. Star Keys? Required to access special areas that don't sound to be necessary for main story progression? Yeah... I'm expecting to see a 5pack for ten dollars. I'll keep an eye on the game for sure... But mass effect 3 and Dragon age 2 (and Inquisition to a lesser extent), has made me wary of Biowares competence or ability to actually deliver a satisfying game in both gameplay and narrative. Hell... You still can't collect EVERYTHING in DA Inquisition I believe, since several mosaic pieces were last I heard still placed and glitched out of the level geometry and thus impossible to obtain.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Again? Last time this happened they kneejerked so hard the end result (pun intended) creaed the biggest, most lasting gaming shitstorm until gamergate rolled around. And apparently no one learned shit from it.

And now that I've indulged my inner bitterness, I'm gonna be a massive hypocrite and take a look

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Maybe the beginning of ME4 makes it clear the ME3 was just a fever dream after Shepard fell ill on an alien world. Then ME4 can be the ME3 that should have been.

R Man

Dec 19, 2007
I don't see what's wrong with the Milky Way. I mean, Andromeda is really far away. Even in Mass Effect it is still hugely far away. I mean ridiculously far away. Why would I want to go there when the Milky Way has all the things I want. It has beautiful parks, shopping on the Citadel, Blasto Movies, and Liara's tight ..... embrace (eternity). If I want adventure I'd just pop off to the 99% of the Galaxy that I have not explored yet.

And what does Andromeda have? Really good restaurants? Like I can't get that here.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
SilverHunter said:
IOwnTheSpire said:
Many here are not fond of Inquisition, which is interesting cause most of the reception I've heard has been quite positive.
Here's the thing... For every interesting thing Inquisition did right, Bioware fracked over fifty more things.

And the story...? It's great! For the first quarter of the game. After Skyhold is reached though it's this tepid, weak attempt to try and out hype itself as it draws to a completely boring, uninteresting, unoriginal ending that has no respect for any of your choices. The worst of which is the post credit scene that COMPLETELY negates what would of been a drastic and life-altering detail for either your main character or another.
While I'm still opposed to calling Inquisition a genuinely bad game, it is a shame that so much content had to divert to quantity over quality. For all the complaints I've heard about DA2's repetitiveness, I remember far more from talking to people in Kirkwall than I do about completing random fetch quests in Inquisition.

My hope is that the next Mass Effect doesn't fall into the trap of spreading things thin. It's fine if they pay homage to ME1's Mako and have more explorable areas, but the core of the game should be about the characters and their stories, not an excuse to dump all resources into the environment's new graphics engine.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I'm glad to hear we are leaving Shepard behind. While he/she wasn't a bad character, three games is enough. So who do we get instead ...

Another boring human? Oh go fuck yourselves. I can be a human any time, especially in real life. Give us some freaky alien species to play as.

Although, this is all unconfirmed at this point.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Well definitely sounds ambitious. Don't really mind things like only being a human or taking place in a galaxy far far away, but as people said DAI was a very ambitious game fell short of what it promised, though in all honesty I still enjoyed the game. ME4 could definitively use more of a quality over quantity approach though.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Andromeda is home to a mysterious alien race, the Remnants, who've left their vaults and ancient technology throughout.
So, you want to hear another story, huh? One where the very fate of Pandora Andromeda hangs in the balance? If not, too bad - I'm telling you anyway. First, there was the Vault, an alien prison opened with a mystical key. To the warriors who opened it, the Vault was just a container of tentacles and disappointment. They vanished into the wastelands, certain that the Vault held no treasure at all.

While I'm not particularly pleased by most of these rumors, I'll probably still end up buying it. ME1 and ME2 were genuinely great games, and even ME3 had its moments. I should probably wait until there's a GotY edition at discounted price, though.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Johnisback said:
If it's set in the future in the same universe then two out of three of the endings of the original trilogy would have to have a massive impact on this game. If the control ending was picked there should be Reapers policing or assisting organics and if the synthesis ending was picked then all the races should be an organic/synthetic hybrid.
I mentioned this earlier but the same is true of the other 2 endings. If you pick destroy all the AIs are dead and refusal means everyone is dead. No matter matter what ending is canon it should have a massive impact on the future. I don't really see how you can handwave it or keep it ambiguous as to which is canon if you are making a sequel that doesn't retcon the ending of Mass Effect 3.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
The main thing I really wanna know is if they'll make it an RPG again. ME3 was really just a shooter with some story.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
ravenshrike said:
Actually, that's possibly the ONE thing I'm not bothered with concerning ME4. Even if the ending of ME3 hadn't been tri-colored frosting I wouldn't have wanted a sequel on a scale spanning a galaxy to be close enough in time or space to be a simple retread. By placing it in a new galaxy it allows them to change the nature of the enemy and politics and technology encountered. Immediately following ME3, what could one possibly encounter in the Milky Way that wouldn't have turned the ME series into CoD plot retread wise? The only way to have a successful plot set in the milky way that wouldn't be a retread would be to set it far enough in the future that the current species had split into multiple different species and there was some sort of extragalactic threat invading. Instead, they make the Milky way the invaders which is a rather interesting twist in a video game. Of course, all that's going to be wasted since Bioware no longer has the legs to do something like that justice, but still.
Really? I hope you don't have any aspirations of being a writer. Do you have any idea how enormous the galaxy is? And the plot could be about anything. A lot of fans would like a plot that's more personal, smaller, instead of galaxy saving usual crap. Why couldn't they make a crime drama set in Mass Effect universe? How about an RPG where you can play either as a criminal or Spectre that has to stop him. And depending on who you are, you end up with a different crew and completely different missions and outcomes. Possibilities are endless, and they opted for the same old "you're the chosen one" crap. For fuck sake, give us something new and exciting for a change. Not Dragon Age Inquisition set in Mass Effect universe that isn't even set in the right galaxy.

After creating that universe, they could have opted to make every other Mass Effect basically Grand Theft Auto in space if they wanted to. Hell, they could have made a Sims game set in ME universe or SimCity or anything else. They have an entire universe to play with and instead they chose to abandon it and start all over. It's bullshit.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
1 - The universe is huge. Of course that the Reapers aren't an universe-level threat, and of course that the Reapers will be nothing more than a part of History if we're advanced enough to arrive to Andromeda. Are you personally affected by the Black Plague today? No. Is anyone? No. Does that devaluate it's power? Of course not. I really don't understand your angle here

2 - He didn't miss the point, your point just didn't make a single lick of sense. Do you see references to America in 10th Century European works, besides "it might exist"? No? Why is that? Because no one (Besides possibly Viking expeditioners and even that was short lived) was ever there. Of course the original series has no mention of Andromeda, because there's absolutely nothing we can do to reach it at the time frame of the trilogy so there's no reason to discuss it. Again, what the hell is your angle? Do you go around mentioning Mars in your day to day conversation, even though it's technically colonizable? More likely than not you talk about it for a bit when someone in the news mentions colonizing it, some experts talk about it, but besides that, nothing. It's perfectly acceptable, statistically probable even, that no one mentions Andromeda, because it's not important for almost any event.

3 - "How can modern day life be completely different than life in the 4th Century, but still be connected to it? Doesn't make any sense". This is how you sound right now.

4 - It's probably a Mako-model tank, not the Mako. Mako 600 or something like that. Blame that one on lazy writing

5 - It's perfectly normal for an advanced dead civilization to leave ruins and vaults behind. If a near-lovecraftian alien race of Harvesters is behind that advanced civilization's death, then you can start calling bullshit

Like seriously, I hated the ending, I'm still somewhat pissed at Bioware, and there are some things about this leak that I don't like, but you're really digging hard and deep to find something to complain about