Mass Effect 4 Will Not Feature Shepard or "Shepard 2"

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Entitled said:
How about making an RPG set in the Mass Effect universe?
Are you MAD sir!? An RPG!? In the MASS EFFECT universe!? It's so crazy it might just work!

I'm curious how close it will end up being to that potential leak about the series becoming "Mass Shift". I suspect alot of that was scrap after everyone hated the Catalyst.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
J Tyran said:
To much choice and variation for them to begin to account for how people played through the first trilogy. Bioware will simply choose a "canon" series of events and go from there.
That, or jump back to an earlier period before Shepard's story began.
That carries its own set of problems though, the history of the universe is fairly well documented in the trilogy. That would mean a massive shift away from the epic ground breaking choices we saw throughout Mass Effect because big events are already fixed in history.

The choices in the new series would have to step around those or go for huge amounts of retcon. Could the new series survive the controversy that would bring?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
N_of_the_dead said:
Doom972 said:
OT: It'll probably be a prequel or happen in the same time as the ME trilogy. Otherwise, they'll have to make one ending canon, or not choose one and try to be vague about which one Shepard chose.
I hope they'll allow the player to choose a race and maybe origin stories. But I won't hold my breath.
I doubt they can be vague with the three endings, one had everyone becoming a synthetic organic hybrid, another has a giant army of space cthulhus running around and the last one has an entire race wiped off the map.

Honestly they can't really be vague, the second you see everyone does or doesn't have glowing eyes you can rule out at least one ending

OT: I am iffy on sequels since the endings will either be ignored or one will be chosen and then that shit storm will happen

a prequel would be great especially from another races point of view like the Morning War or something. No fear of a human main char unless Bioware wants to bend story canon over the table
In Deus Ex: Invisible War, they combined the endings without revealing the order in which they happened (the first being the one chosen by the player). It's not a very good way of making a sequel, but it's an option. As I said, I prefer that it won't take place after ME3.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
A switch from conflict to exploration? In what alternate dimension would this ever happen?

Or are we ignoring the homogenisation of ME2 + 3 to "appeal to a broader audience" the same exact audience that wont touch it with a $60 pole if it isn't a generic cover based shooter.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
J Tyran said:
That carries its own set of problems though, the history of the universe is fairly well documented in the trilogy. That would mean a massive shift away from the epic ground breaking choices we saw throughout Mass Effect because big events are already fixed in history.

The choices in the new series would have to step around those or go for huge amounts of retcon. Could the new series survive the controversy that would bring?
I don't think that's necessarily true - we may know the broad strokes of what happened during the Rachni War, for example, but dramatizing them (and scaling them down so it's about specific people rather than The Fate of the Galaxy) could lead to a very engaging story.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
This time, the Shep Brick will be..............yellow.

But seriously, what universe? they can barely be consistent in their writting and now they expect to pick one of the flawed endings and make it cannon?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
BaronIveagh said:
But who would buy it at this point, after so much fail on 3?
Space Jawa said:
My thoughts as well - after the way 3 ended, how many people are going to be willing to trust Bioware on another series of Mass Effect games?
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..."
Um, what are you talking about?

A lot of people, even those who didn't like the ending, consider Mass Effect 3 to be the Game of the Year. Yeah, the last ten minutes were ass, but the rest of the game was solid gold.

OT: Mass Effect 4? Consider me Pre-Ordered. I particularly like the idea that we're moving away from a military character.

Any chance we can play as a Scientist Salarian?

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
Doom972 said:
In Deus Ex: Invisible War, they combined the endings without revealing the order in which they happened (the first being the one chosen by the player). It's not a very good way of making a sequel, but it's an option. As I said, I prefer that it won't take place after ME3.
I honestly forgot about the ending to Invisible War thank you for reminding me about that.

Though it would be kind of impossible to mix these three since destroy + synthesis equals end of sentient life if my understanding is right. I would take tip my hat to them if they could find a way to combine all of the endings into one cohesive event.

But I do agree with the prequel over sequel preference.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The thing is, if they go with a sequel, then based on the ending to ME 3 Shepard could still be around (in one form or another). And with those particular endings (Blue, specifically), it'll be pretty hard NOT to have Shepard be a major factor in any games that take place after the trilogy.

So if they're really trying to move away from Shepard as much as possible, they'd almost have to go with a prequel. It'll be interesting since they're saying that they don't want the protagonist to even be a soldier, because that rules out the possibility of a prequel set in any of the numerous wars that take place in ME's history. My best guess at this point: they'll try to go with some kind of "Crime Drama".

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Bara_no_Hime said:
A lot of people, even those who didn't like the ending, consider Mass Effect 3 to be the Game of the Year. Yeah, the last ten minutes were ass, but the rest of the game was solid gold.
The only people I've seen make any reference to 3 as a GOTY contender are the fanboys on the BSN. The game dropped out of consideration for that honor long ago - even if the ending wasn't so bad, the massive amount of fail throughout the game, and its subsequent controversy, all but ensured it was shunned by over half the fanbase. Besides, we've still got 2 months before the end of the year, and Hitman Absolution/Halo 4 are already being talked up as big contenders everywhere.

There are several problems with creating a sequel to 3.

1) Circumstances/Decisions. Either the galaxy is comprised of half-green tech-human hybrids, the Reapers are still out there being controlled by Shepard, or that Shepard is possibly alive and the galaxy is fine. You can't integrate those disparate choices into a single continuity without making serious retcons (like the EC did) or having it be based on one set of choices (which would then nullify the whole point of making choices throughout the trilogy). BW sure wouldn't devote the time to making extra content to integrate all of these choices - they're under the thumb of EA now, to the point that their logo in the OP has been rebranded to show that they are well and truly a division now.

2) Threat Level: When you start with antagonists that are nigh-invulnerable machine gods that believe their justification for cleansing the galaxy is beyond comprehension, there are very few places you can go after that. The only thing that could have worked was the "tech singularity", and seeing how they swept that under the rug, that's not likely a potential storyline. Smaller-scale stories won't have the same impact as the first two games, and any new protagonist is going to be undeniably compared with Shepard. This is why it was such a foolish move to kill him off (in most cases) in 3.

3) Future Storylines: The majority of responses in this topic show that any future storyline would be gimped at best. A mercenary? A single commando? Come on! The ME trilogy involved the entire galaxy uniting to stop a common threat - these ideas sound like the franchise would be moving backwards. There is no interest in a new character going on a small-scale mission, especially when the odds and involvement were already hit their peak in the trilogy. The only thing they can really do are prequels, and if it's set during 3, it's going to be pointless.

I don't think BW has any idea what to do with their franchise, and EA is pushing their buttons - look at their upcoming releases. Propping up dead franchises (C&C, Ultima), DA2 set in one city, ME3 with severely limited hub worlds/locations, etc. They know people are still extremely unhappy with 3, and they've been trying to talk it up at every chance they get because they want to build interest again, which is pretty much non-existent outside the hardcore fanbase.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
From ME1 to ME3 it went straight downhill (ME1 had an awesome story, just some gameplay issues every now and then, ME2 had absolutely nothing to do with and no impact whatsoever on the trilogy, and ME3 is ... well, ME3.) ...
Yep, I gave up on Mass Effect. Don't get me wrong, if they want to give a new character a shot (as they announced before Mess Effect 3 (pun intended)), all the power to them. But I doubt it'll get me anywhere close to touching the series ever again.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
BaronIveagh said:
But who would buy it at this point, after so much fail on 3?
Except for twenty minutes at the end I thought 3 was fantastic. The final battle should have been a head on confrontation with Harbinger from the front seat of the SR-2, but the journey to get there was brilliant.

As for me, If they pick the middle ending (green?) as canon that would work. Then set number 4 as a much more conspiracy based, be a Merc in the Blue Suns or Omega based trader, finally the big bad is a (just one) Leviathan. Or just some plain dogmatic nutjob (or maybe humanity has developed a penchant for super weapons?). It would be quite cool to see the Mass Effect Universe with the Reapers in tow as a part of life rather than a menace.

But they'll fall into the stupid trap of making the Reapers the bad guys again and having another game of fighting Husks... so... er... nevermind.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
this just in it will still suck.
Honestly... It's actually just a retired Shepard who changes his/her name and flies around space leisurely enjoying his/her anonymity. That's the thing about open blank slate characters. You say it's a different person. But if I make the character act the same way is it truly a different character?

C117

Aug 14, 2009
You know... as much as I love Shepard (or at least my version of her), I think this is a really good idea. Because really, the story of Shepard is over. She united all the races against the Reapers. She accomplished what no other person could do. She saved the galaxy. And then she sacrificed herself for a better cause (or did she? Hmm, hmm...).

So it only makes sense that they introduce some new guy to pick up the franchise. Heck, just because Shepard is no longer the focus of Mass Effect, doesn't mean that she will disappear from it. Perhaps you will get to know what ultimately became of the galaxy after Shepard made her decision (and wether she truly survived or not), or at least have her referenced at some point.

But enough about Shepard. What about this new berk we'll be playing as? I think Bioware should mix things up a bit, and instead of him being a human, make him a turian or something. Or just do the fantasy-RPG-thing and let us choose from a number of races.

Well, I think that would be interesting...

Fuhrlock

Apr 1, 2012
Since Shepard was more a device for the player to experience the mass effect universe and interact with, the character his/her loss means very little to me. Really it comes down to how well they are able to explore the ME universe (easy to do since we have only scratched the surface of the workings of some of the most prevalent alien species so far soley based on how they have needed to react to humanity) and create interesting characters that ultimately will define this game as a sucess or failure. In bioware games a protagonist generally means very little to the enjoyment of the game, if Shepard can no longer be used as the device to tell the story any longer so be it so long as the new story/characters meet the previously set standards

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
What I got from that. "the mass effect series is vast and very, very rich" = we hope it makes us very, very rich.
OT: somewhat excited. I loved the original trilogy and wasn't butthurt about the ending soi see no reason not to be somewhat excited

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Well that's interesting. I thought this ME3 was the last Mass Effect though.. guess not. Would like it that way but the show must go on I guess.

Okay no Shepard protagonist, fair enough. But at least bring him back in some way. I want to know if he's actually alive or not god dammit.