Mass Effect Anime Film in the Works

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Eh, I'm a little bit so and so on hearing this. I love Mass Effect-y thingies outside the game usually, but anime - kinda would depend on who does it specifically and how it's done (not really that familiar with what these peeps have done before or how good it might be since I'm not that much *into* it. I've seen good animes and then I've seen absolutely horrid ones really).

But...if I heard that they'd gotten in touch with Genndy Tartakovsky to make a Mass Effect animation...I'm pretty certain that I'd instantly get a massive hard-on. Granted, he's recently gone over to Sony and I'm genuinely unsure how well anything would go with them...or if Sony is interested in furthering the route he's currently taking with things like his Priest intro...but I can dream, can't I? :)

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Hopefully this will finally answer the question that has been asked by Mass Effect Fans everywhere: What is Shepherds favorite store on the citadel?

John Funk said:
Commander Shepard better fight the Reapers in a Gundam.
...ok, even I'm having trouble finding fault with that idea and I'm not even a Gundam fan.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Chrono212 said:
Why not use western animation (not 3D)? Or does it not exist any more? :/
Well one of two reason A) some anime is considered mature or B) Bigger audience with the title alone
Well I can't really wait to see how this turns out I liked how halo legends turned out and I did like dante's inferno so I think this could be good

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
FredTheUndead said:
RollForInitiative said:
Here's hoping they at least get a good, Japanese studio to do the work, like Bones or Kyoto Animation. North Americans tend to fuck up when trying to emulate the anime style.
Why name some of the worst studios this side of Gonzo and DEEN as good candidates then?

Chrono212 said:
In all honesty, after playing through The Arrivel yesterday, I'd like to see more Mass Effect universe.
But (big but) it better not pull a Halo: Legends. Not that it was bad, it was just a bit 'off' from the established universe, if one could legitimately 'know' the universe...

In unrelated opinions: Why not use western animation (not 3D)? Or does it not exist any more? :/
Because Genndy Tartakovsky has better things to do than work on something for Mass Effect presumably.
Excuse my total ignorance, but who is Gebbdy Tartakovsky?

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
Korten12 said:
Chrono212 said:
In all honesty, after playing through The Arrivel yesterday, I'd like to see more Mass Effect universe.
But (big but) it better not pull a Halo: Legends. Not that it was bad, it was just a bit 'off' from the established universe, if one could legitimately 'know' the universe...

In unrelated opinions: Why not use western animation (not 3D)? Or does it not exist any more? :/
Wait are you talking about the forunner ruins looking oriental?
Oh, no I didn't even notice that.
Just how being a huge Halo nerd fan I knew what everything should layer out or built or what ever.
The one where the ODST's have a Spartan attached to them for the assassination mission two things bugged me
One: the Spartan has long hair even though in the books they explicitly state they're very militaristic and so have buzz cuts (I know it's artistic licence :p)
Two: the sniper has a far too large muzzle flash, recoil and range. The only reason this bugs me is because I've 'handled' that rifle a hundered times.
Both of these are artistic licences used to make a point
I actually think the psudo-samurai Elites story was an excellent idea.

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Chrono212 said:
FredTheUndead said:
RollForInitiative said:
Here's hoping they at least get a good, Japanese studio to do the work, like Bones or Kyoto Animation. North Americans tend to fuck up when trying to emulate the anime style.
Why name some of the worst studios this side of Gonzo and DEEN as good candidates then?

Chrono212 said:

Because Genndy Tartakovsky has better things to do than work on something for Mass Effect presumably.
Excuse my total ignorance, but who is Gebbdy Tartakovsky?
Samurai Jack
Powerpuff Girls
Dexter's Laboratory
The GOOD Star Wars animated series.
plenty more.
Arguably his input would make these game/anime/cartoon crossovers a lot more prestigious and legitimate.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Chrono212 said:
Korten12 said:
Chrono212 said:

Just how being a huge Halo nerd fan I knew what everything should layer out or built or what ever.
The one where the ODST's have a Spartan attached to them for the assassination mission two things bugged me
One: the Spartan has long hair even though in the books they explicitly state they're very militaristic and so have buzz cuts (I know it's artistic licence :p)
Two: the sniper has a far too large muzzle flash, recoil and range. The only reason this bugs me is because I've 'handled' that rifle a hundered times.
Oh, well I mentioned it. Since ppl were complaining about it, but they only looked oriental becuase the ruins were oriental. They were the ruins of the Ancient Humans who fought against the Forunners. See Halo Cryptum.

(the episode you mentioned is the one with the ruins.)

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
Korten12 said:
Chrono212 said:
Korten12 said:
Chrono212 said:

Oh, well I mentioned it. Since ppl were complaining about it, but they only looked oriental becuase the ruins were oriental. They were the ruins of the Ancient Humans who fought against the Forunners. See Halo Cryptum.

(the episode you mentioned is the one with the ruins.)
Oh, well, overall the whole of Legends was done pretty well considering the hyper-'western' source material.
They will probably do similar things with the Mass Effect anime as the Legends shorts as they didn't have any focus on the Chief and because Commander Shepherd is meant to reflect the player's options he'll be left out too, like in the ME books

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
I expect it to be a Harem anime, with tons of wacky hijinks between Shepard-kun and his many girlfriends Ashley, Liara, Tali, Miranda, and Jack. Jack being the feisty one with the bokken, by the way.

And the dialog better be along the lines of:

Shepard: "Liara-chan" *wind blows some cherry blossom leaves past his head, tears streaming down his cheeks"

Liara: "Shepard-kun! Don't leave me uguuuuuu~!"

Wrex: "Shepard" *nods*

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Holy shit!

After Mass Effect 2 launched, I remember distinctly thinking, "Y'know, it would be awesome for Mass Effect to get the Animatrix treatment."

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
I... don't know how to feel about this. Well, I hope they won't go over everything that players do in the games. It solidifies certain decisions as "canon" even if we chose to take the opposite action.

One about Garrus' two years on Omega might be interesting. Or Captain Anderson's mission with Saren, though a book was already written about that. An animated version of Jack's backstory would be cool.

...I guess I really am looking forward to this after all...

Dragonborne88 said:
I expect it to be a Harem anime, with tons of wacky hijinks between Shepard-kun and his many girlfriends Ashley, Liara, Tali, Miranda, and Jack. Jack being the feisty one with the bokken, by the way.

And the dialog better be along the lines of:

Shepard: "Liara-chan" *wind blows some cherry blossom leaves past his head, tears streaming down his cheeks"

Liara: "Shepard-kun! Don't leave me uguuuuuu~!"

Wrex: "Shepard" *nods*
You know, I actually had a crazy idea about Mass Effect as a high school love comedy. Miranda would be a cheerleader, Ashley and Jacob would be athletes, Wrex the PE teacher, Zaeed the rambling history teacher, and Legion a math teacher who wears gag glasses [http://images.thingsyouneverknew.com/images/products/en_us/detail/p883.jpg] in a weak attempt to disguise themselves.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I think this will be good if the following are true about it:
1 - The animation is in keeping with the mood of the franchise (chiefly, I'd like the human characters to have noses).
2 - The writing and delivery work within the bounds of the mood of the franchise as well. Some anime's more slapstick sense of humor inserted with Bioware's writing could be a deal-breaker for me.
3 - They do not focus on Commander Shepard, instead focusing on known support characters. Shepard is a tough character to handle since a lot of their personality is determined by the player.
4 - Keep the scope small. I don't necessarily want to watch the anime to relive the game's experience. The anime will work best if it's a smaller story that fleshes out the universe of the game.
5 - It should be nothing like Mass Effect: Redemption.

Ideally, for me, the anime would be a series of shorts fleshing out support characters from the first two games. Examples include: Mordin's work on the Genophage patch, Wrex attempting to unite the clans the first time (and being taken down by his father) and the story behind his facial scarring, Legion's tracking Shepard prior to the Reaper, Joker's time in the Alliance Flight Academy, some of Thane's previous missions. I could easily go on. There's a lot there, and a large amount of rich characters to explore. If done right it will be great, but it will be very easy to fuck up... hard.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
$10 says it'll be woefull. I love Mass Effect, I really do; but if there's one thing I've learned it's that games never translate into film or television well.