Mass Effect being blamed for Connecticut shooting.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Auron225 said:
"What was the shooter wearing at the time?"
"A pair of Levi jeans, and..."
"LEVI! HOW COULD THEY!? I HOPE THEY ROT IN HELL!"

This is no different to me...
Exactly my thought.

This puts me in mind of Loading Ready Run's recent rapidfire sketches of the two cops who brainstorm their way to finding a killer through the use of increasingly tenuous links.

The most disturbing and truly terrifying thing about this whole debacle is just how quickly ignorant people will come together and condemn a subject they have no true knowledge of. It's frightening.

Akratus said:
Any other non americans think it's weird that a name is spelled conecticut and pronounced coneticut?
How about Gloucester in England? It's spelt as if it should read Glow-sest-er but is actually pronounced Glost-er.

I'm normally one to jump to the American's defence where spelling/pronunciation is concerned, but I think we're all guilty of oddly named places.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Are people really this stupid?

Are people seriously THIS stupid?

Fucking wow, I don't even know how to describe this feeling; like all of my brain cells are just killing each other.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
So thats how Hitler ruined that moustache, people probably blamed it for what he did. I bet he liked it too.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Hey Facebook the internet is blaming something that wasn't at all related to a murder on something, how about that banhammer.

reidrokz

Nov 27, 2009
One of the comments calls Mass Effect a "kindergarten killer game", I know its not founded in anything at all but I distinctly remember an entire mission in Mass Effect 3 where you are PREVENTING a school shooting. (Kinda sorta, it is a military school of a type and the kids are young adults, not completely equivalent but their are parallels)

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
Why is it that so many people that posted on the mass effect facebook group, blaming Bioware for the shooting - generally are shoving in the words 'God', 'Religion', 'Hell', 'Jesus', in there? Are all these people Catholics? I certainly hope not. Especially this Terri Smith Ferrell is going on a sacramental crusade. This guy needs some better guidance.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
A sub category of the human species, Moronicus Infinitus, in action once again.

captcha- heated debate
I fail to see why it should be one. You've eyes, yes? You've ears, yes? You've a brain, yes? Why not use them for a change.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Aardvaarkman said:
I thought Cornflakes were made with corn, not wheat. Have they been lying to us the whole time? The sick bastards.
Interesting fact - Mr. Kellogg was a near-rabid opponent of masturbation and believed that eating corn-flakes would dull the urge for a spot of light relief. There may be a link there somewhere...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Varrdy said:
Aardvaarkman said:
I thought Cornflakes were made with corn, not wheat. Have they been lying to us the whole time? The sick bastards.
Interesting fact - Mr. Kellogg was a near-rabid opponent of masturbation and believed that eating corn-flakes would dull the urge for a spot of light relief. There may be a link there somewhere...
"KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES! They're better than masturbating!"

Eh. I can see it.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
Rose and Thorn said:
The Mass Effect facebook page is comedy gold. I almost feel bad for laughing. Why do these people think shooting pixelated aliens in a video game is worse then taking an actual rifle and hunting deer in the woods?

Perhapes we should outlaw meat and all become vegetarians?

My favorite post by far is "ANAKIN killed children. Not Commander Shepard. Wrong sci-fi, people." Oh boy haha.
ok this made me laugh about this subject, but honestly i think i lost a few brain cells reading some of the comments people have wrote...

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The killer also liked masturbating, clearly masturbation caused him to kill people.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
This is hilarious, i mean, it would have made more sense if the game would have been a modern military shooter, or something with somewhat modern guns and gameplay that rewards killing, but Mass Effect? Oh this is too funny to be true.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'm just going to look embarrassed for the people who actually thought this.
Obviously people are angry and sad and looking for anything to blame.

Let's not make this about gamer persecution.
Silly people said a silly thing.

DyranLK

Jan 28, 2012
So what if they found Journey as one of his likes? They'd start blaming it for being so peaceful and pure of a game that it broke his whole perception of what games really are and thus compelled him to look at the world in a new light by killing people?

Whatever the case, all snarkiness aside, I wish the best for the affected families, I'm sure they're going through a hard time and being reminded of this event by online finger-pointing probably isn't the best medicine atm.

In addition, I also feel as if the falsely accused Ryan and, to a lesser extent, Bioware, sure need some friends right now; misguided people with misinformed mentalities can be a critical blow to one's certitude, so here's to hoping for a quick, steady resolution to this confuzzled mess.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
So I'm sure most of you are aware of the shooting in Connecticut that left 18 children and 7 adults dead. Well it seems now, going by this image, that Mass Effect is somehow being blamed.

Now, I just saw this image on Tumblr, so I've not got a story on how Mass Effect has come to be blamed other than the shooter being a fan of Mass Effect judging by the likes on his Facebook page. But I wanted to bring this to your attention. What are your thoughts on this?
Last I checked the Mass Effect series even if playing full Renegade has you character saving trillions of lives and never killing children... I don't think games are to blame, but the individuals psyche and the fact he had gone there to kill his mother first which begs the question on why even if psychotic what made him hate his parents and life so much to do such a monstrous thing... I doubt the game had much if anything for this I would assume has been something building inside this person for years and has gone unnoticed.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
NightowlM said:
Wow. People on Tumblr are dumbasses. How did this get 6 pages of comments here? No sane person with anything resembling reasonable intelligence would put the blame for this shooting on Mass Effect. But guess what? Dumbasses on twitter are neither sane nor intelligent, which is fortunate because nothing will come of this from such a small minority of ignorant persons crying foul of a videogame.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. So, not having read through all 6 pages of this thread, I have to wonder what is being discussed here? Anything of worth other than casual misanthropy and countless "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" gifs?
I agree with you Naoto and further we should look at the root cause of this troubled individuals life or what we can find now since he and his parents are dead.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Shadowcreed said:
Why is it that so many people that posted on the mass effect facebook group, blaming Bioware for the shooting - generally are shoving in the words 'God', 'Religion', 'Hell', 'Jesus', in there? Are all these people Catholics? I certainly hope not. Especially this Terri Smith Ferrell is going on a sacramental crusade. This guy needs some better guidance.
If you are going to put a whole religious group into it you should just say Christians instead of Catholic for there are many ignorant people in the other christian groups besides some minority of the Catholic populace.