Mass Effect being blamed for Connecticut shooting.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Zhukov said:
I hear the killer's sister-in-law once mentioned that she liked to eat cornflakes for breakfast.

BAN THIS SICK FILTH, POISONING THE MINDS OF OUR CHILDREN WITH THEIR WHEATY EVIL!!!
HEAR! HEAR!

Coco Pops are much nicer anyway!

Hunter.Wolf

Jan 13, 2010
*FACEPALM*

Where should i start .. well let's start by the fact that becasue bad person/criminal/tyrant/psychopath "X" likes "Y" doesn't mean anyone who likes "Y" is a bad person/criminal/tyrant/psychopath, that's just common sense .. which a lot of people seems to lack nowadays.

2nd, when you want to blame a video-game (will get to scapegoating in the next point) instead of blaming a sci-fi game where you fight aliens/robots/brainwashed soldiers and work towards the greater good of the universe at least blame a video game that has senseless violence where you run around the streets shooting little kids for no reason at all ... oh wait .. there isn't a video game where you do that XD

3rd, scapegoating .. do you know when will tragedies like this start happening less often, it's when people STOP scapegoating and start facing the truth and dealing with the REAL reasons why this happened, how did this mentally unstable individual get that gun he used !!?, who was responsible for him and neglected his mental health until he became this wreck of human-being !!? .. etc etc .. THESE are the questions that everyone should be asking .. not the stupidity happening now .. as long as you are going to keep your heads in the sand more tragic incidents like this will happen.

-----------------------

I really hope Bioware would take a firm stance and sue the hell out of any news/media outlet that randomly links Mass Effect to the shooting .. that will teach them.

And my condolences goes to the families of the victims.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
apparently the ryan who liked mass effect that they are trying to lynch just happens to share the same name and thats it.
He doesn't even share the same name, that's the utter extent of the stupidity shown here.

The shooter was Adam, not Ryan. The wrong name was leaked by someone, other people decided to stalk that Facebook page, and discovered he had 'liked' Mass Effect 3.

This has to be catalogued and kept by someone, seriously, start up a new website in the same vein as notalwaysright dealing with times the media and general public are absolute asshats of the highest degree.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Rose and Thorn said:
Perhapes we should outlaw meat and all become vegetarians?
You can take our lives, but you will never take our BACON! D:<

OT: Well, didn't see Mass Effect being blamed. Saw a game being blamed in some way though, this being 'murica and 'murica having the worlds largest concentration of mind numbing stupidity that's allowed to be extremely vocal about said mind numbing stupidity.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
I'm loving this,I just find it amusing how enraged people seem on those comments,feels like 4chan,but the difference is that the people on the other side actually take it seriously.It's just hilarious to me.The fact that it's not the actual murderer makes it even better.
Ah...ignorance is a blessing.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
The amount of retarded comments coming from people blaming Mass Effect is mindblowing.
Instead of arguing about gun control, violence in video games or anything like that, I suggest implementing a "drivers license" sort of system for people to go through before they are allowed to procreate. If we had a working system, most of these people would never see the light of day, and the world would be a better place.

TL;DR: Fuck people.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
Just have ot agree. I want to ttrack down each of those morons who posted about Mass Effect being a horrible influence and give them all a hour lecture on moral panics, learning to do basic research, band wagon hopping and not being a complete fucking idiot.

Though I do find it really funny that even now, that's it pretty well known they pegged the wrong person, they still going on about it. Though I did a quick scan of the Bioware/ME pages and it seems their fan base is hitting back rather heavily though not surprised.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
the lesson in this? NEVER assume you've seen humanity as stupid as it gets, people as a whole will always find new ways to out-stupid themselves, oh god I feel dirty knowing I'm of the same species as these people.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
One lady said that games are not real, and she sees that as a bad thing.

Yup, stop using your imagination and paying any attention to fantasy fiction. Keep your feet on the ground and revolve yourself around reality and truth. I bet she's a Jesus hugger.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
This is incredibly stupid. The only thing I can liken it to is people deciding to suddenly turn on the Beatles because Charles Manson misinterprets the White album.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Behold the internet, the information super highway, which allows people to show their lack of intelligence at an astounding speed!

I am starting to really wonder at humanity though. Starting to think that we're really not ready for this level of communication.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Quazimofo said:
Therumancer said:
As will the naive anti-gun proponents when a firearm is used, ignoring that firearms don't really matter to these cases (not even making it easier or happening more often, school stabblings like this have happened a lot in China, looking into it I've found articles going back to like 2010 about these kinds of rampages... and this is despite the Bamboo Curtain, making me think it happens even more frequently).
True, stabbings do happen quite a bit, but you cannot deny that guns do not make these incidents more deadly. Guns are very good at what they are intended to do, make it incredibly simple and skill-independent to kill a large number of people in rapid succession. IF the elementary school killer tried this shit with a knife, well it probably would have had a smaller death toll. Yes the guys with knives are capable of hurting as many ore more than the shooters, but they have failed to KILL as many.

I dont want to get into a pro/anti gun debate, since this is not the point of this thread nor is it constructive or beneficial in any way since neither of us will convince the other should we be on opposing sides. All i want to say is that you really cannot deny that firearms do make such things easier and deadlier to do, since all you need to do is point and pull a trigger, and someone will die if you hit them properly.
I just wrote a bit about that, though I fear it fell prey to my tendency to ramble.

I actually think guns reduce the death toll for these kinds of things, simply because of their ease of use and availibility. The thing is that killing a lot of people with a gun is pretty hard to do, this is why most of these mass shootings have some pretty low body counts. Unless you can pen people in (like happened with the classrooms) people are going to run away from you, and they are going to take cover, and try and put barriers between you and them. This is why for offensive operations (security sweeps included) it's all about setting up patterns to pen people in to specific areas so you can take them down or control their movement, which takes a team.

Remove guns from the equasion and your going to see these people who are already putting a lot of thought into this coming up with far more dangerous solutions. Making an equivilent to napalm is simply some Ivory Snow Flakes and fuel oil away. You can make a pretty deadly gas with bleach and ammonia. Heck Gasoline itself is easily turned into some very deadly incindiary weapons with minimal skill. Someone intent on doing harm simply goes to the gun as the most readily availible tool, and they try and plan around that, because it takes the least effort, and they typically wind up with
an inefficient method of creating a mass casualty situation. The guys who do this kind of thing aren't going to simply give up the entire plan for the lack of a firearm, they are just going to do more research and become more deadly.

If I decided to do the same thing this guy did, for some unfathomable reason, that is to say sacrifice myself to kill a bunch of innocent kids in a school, I sure as heck wouldn't decide the most efficient way of doing it would be to simply walk in the front door with a rifle and a handgun. Simply closing and locking the doors was a massive deterrant to this guy given help being on the way. As I said in another thread if the guy had simply put a bit of creativity to mixing up some bleach and ammonia he probably could have gassed all the classrooms on the hallway regardless of closed doors instead of just getting the rooms that were too slow in locking down.

Of course then again with my training I think of this in terms of a professional. I realize there is no such thing as "safe" and can thus put it into a better perspective. Most people look at this and go "OMG, 18 dead kids.. a gun was the tool, we must hate on guns" they don't bother to look at other incidents and how else this could have gone down and realize how much worse it could have been, and how utterly pathetic an effort this was overall. To be honest the guy was lucky to even get what was it... 22 people all together? Having access to guns gave him a false sense of security, he didn't bother to do any real research into terrorists, gueriella warfare, and just general mayhem to see how the most successful mass casualty situations were pulled off. Without a gun he might have done more of that kind of research (what you learn in classes is condensed information, not really secret) and this would have been even more screwed up.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Alright. This is pissing me off. Even if the shooter was the one that plays Mass Effect, how the fuck do you reach a conclusion that he killed people because of that? How can people be so fuckin' stupid? Correlation does NOT imply causation. How the fuck did those people survive for that long in this world, being that fuckin' stupid?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Seems legit. Don't you remember that mission where you go to a school in Connecticut and shoot indoctrinated children? It's right after the gay space orgy.

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008

Is it a coincidence that I saw this on facebook today? I think not! Clearly it is the artists who worked on the mass effect games who are behind this, they tainted the game through it's concept art and now that the games corrouptive effects have begun to take hold they have moved onto phase two!