Mass Effect being blamed for Connecticut shooting.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
So I'm sure most of you are aware of the shooting in Connecticut that left 18 children and 7 adults dead. Well it seems now, going by this image, that Mass Effect is somehow being blamed.

Now, I just saw this image on Tumblr, so I've not got a story on how Mass Effect has come to be blamed other than the shooter being a fan of Mass Effect judging by the likes on his Facebook page. But I wanted to bring this to your attention. What are your thoughts on this?
not to say these people are right, but if you do take a screen cap like that its customary/courteous to black out the names. Im sure a large amount of these people are trolls or mis informed on the gaming spectrum, and including their names is only going to get people who defend games overzealously quicker access to their facebook and go on a rant thats only going to prove their points about these games and the community.
Still I look at it and say... Fuck these people, I hope they do get trolled and hacked.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Let's see.

Ho, and what be this?

FOX hasn't bothered to fact check again? They've not only used crazed sensationalism from a misinformed and rabidly stupid fanbase to further their own agenda, but directed it at the regular scapegoat which has never been proven to be linked as a remotely influential cause of a violent gun crime?

What's that, you say? They accused the WRONG PERSON, and now the killer's BROTHER, who had nothing to do with this tragedy, will probably be hated by all the right wing idiots, rednecks, and religious fools who don't know how to take five seconds to read up and confirm information through multiple sources?

NO, COULDN'T BE, FOX HAS SUCH A STERLING TRACK RECORD OF EXCELLENCE AFTER ALL!

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
He's a fan of Mass Effect huh? I'm guessing he's also a fan of food too, so let's all starve ourselves.

This level of stupidity hurts my brain.

Ulixes Dimon

Jul 25, 2010
There is only one reasonable explanation for all of this. These aren't ignorant dumbasses, they are clever trolls pretending to be.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
[image/]http://gyazo.com/983850ed105fbaf5a4ccb23cc5deee4c.png?1355561536[/IMG]

Best response ever

[image/]http://gyazo.com/bf2b38a5ff4894cb5c0cc0cfd5eef6b8.png?1355561786[/IMG]

Other then seeing The Hobbit, this is the most fun I've had all day...

[image/]http://gyazo.com/4da36dc24dc65bfac9ee08c2e4ea8a61.png?1355561981[/IMG]

Though to be honest, this smells like a raid to me.
It had to be a raid, this is way to dumb for real life.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
It's kinda funny how stupid people are. Well, until they start getting games banned and censored and shit because of stuff like this.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Sandjube said:
It's kinda funny how stupid people are. Well, until they start getting games banned and censored and shit because of stuff like this.
If they were to ban Mass Effect because of this, they'd have to ban the Dark Knight trilogy for being a big influence on that nutjob who shot up that theater wearing a Bane mask.

Wasn't it decided that games are protected by the first amendment? There's nothing to worry about.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I thought this would of contain an article at the fail attempt to link the game at the shooting, sure I would of swing with that but blatant accusations? I couldn't facepalm enough!!!

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Lonan said:
Jezzascmezza said:
God dammit- this again?
Seriously though, couldn't they at least pick another more realistic game to scapegoat if they had to blame a game? Mass Effect is set in a science fiction universe for God's sake- a universe where there's barely any children for that matter.
Except that one kid, THAT EVERYONE SHOT AT THE END OF MASS EFFECT 3!!!!

*sorry*
Really?
I'm playing Mass Effect 3 at the moment, and if you're being serious, that's kinda shocking.
Kind of destroys what I was trying to say before too I guess- maybe I should finish the game before I talk about it next time.

Gecko clown

Mar 28, 2011
Yea, blame Mass Effect. Its obviously the fault of a science-fiction shooter that is clearly not real life. Its not the fact that this person was clearly a damaged individual and no on thought to help him out. Its not the fault of the completely insane gun laws in America, its clearly the fault of a game. <---- Logic of a reactionary imbecile.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Ulixes Dimon said:
It had to be a raid, this is way to dumb for real life.
You'd be surprised how dumb "real life" can be. People are willing to believe just about anything to escape it.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The amount of horrendous stupidity on Mass Effect's page...

I think it's time I go to bed. Or watch Three's Company or something. I can't handle this.

Some of the comments seem to insinuate that Mass Effect actually has child-murder in it, or that that's the point of the game. Just.

What?

Side note: The Columbine shooters went bowling before they did the deed. I guess bowling's pretty fucking evil too.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
This sort of thing is bound to happen, after all the holy council at the NRA assures us that hell awaits anyone who even considers that arming and training people to kill in the spirit of the second amendment could lead to things like this.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
schtingah said:
I must have missed the part where he assembeled a team of followers, had long interactions conversations with random people and bought some fish on the way there.
And a space hamster. Don't forget the space hamster!

OT: More stupid opinions from stupid people who have no idea what the hell they are talking about. They won't get games banned. America is not Germany. So what the fuck ever. Let them whine, *****, and complain.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy.
Yes, and it's stupidity to assign it to something so obviously irrelevant.

OT: To be honest I'm getting more annoyed by these idiots claiming the guy was "pure evil" and utterly dismissing any other point made about him when it seems clear that he, and many of the people like him, are mentally unwell.

Perhaps if the do-gooders actually gave a flying fuck about anyone who couldn't be neatly squeezed into their black and white world-view we'd all be a little better off.

On the other hand, it is almost painfully amusing to see how much weight these morons put behind a Facebook Like.

CPunchMaster

Aug 29, 2011
So, the media named names when it turns out that it wasn't even that guy, and people go find what pages he's liked on Facebook and blame anything potentially related and flame that page with some sort of internet-vigilante facebook posting?

Goodness. This is dumb.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
emeraldrafael said:
not to say these people are right, but if you do take a screen cap like that its customary/courteous to black out the names. Im sure a large amount of these people are trolls or mis informed on the gaming spectrum, and including their names is only going to get people who defend games overzealously quicker access to their facebook and go on a rant thats only going to prove their points about these games and the community.
I didn't take the screen cap, I just took it from Tumblr. Besides, it's not like it would make any difference, as people can just go to the Mass Effect Facebook page to get their names.