Mass Effect being blamed for Connecticut shooting.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
Why did the second person black out the names? Fuck those knobs. They knew what they were getting into when they posted on the internet. Those inbred cunts deserve every bit of vitriol they spew thrown back in thier faces. I suggest we all go fuck with everyone in the OP. I'm on my way.

EDIT - So I only managed to find 4, and I could only message 2 of them. Privacy setting perhaps.

Funny thing about this story? They had the brothers page, instead of the actual shooters page. So even though this is already not true, I bet the whole debate about this for the next month (And that's a stretch. FOX might not be able to blow this one out of proportion as long as the Aurora shooting) will be about violence in video games.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
This is good. Mass Effect is not an unintelligent game series. Analysts that draw a line from violence to this game will find that the game has a deeper context for its gameplay, and these reports will become harder to take seriously by a big step.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
My favorite is the lady demanding that they put a disclaimer that 'Mass Effect is not real life.' Like somehow someone would be running around completely confused as to where all the spaceships and aliens are.

144 said:
This is good. Mass Effect is not an unintelligent game series. Analysts that draw a line from violence to this game will find that the game has a deeper context for its gameplay, and these reports will become harder to take seriously by a big step.
Also the fact that they don't involve killing children is probably a pretty big give away.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
Lugbzurg said:
[snip]

So, not only are they blaming this game and its entire development team for the shooting, but they've also got the wrong person? Wow...

Doom was blamed for the Columbine shooting, but this is even more stupid.
[snip]
Wasn't Dungeons & Dragons blamed for a few murders in the 70's and early 80's?

Did the Printing Press ever get this bad rap? I say next time someone rapes we see what books they read. 50 Shades of Grey comes to mind...

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Take out the comments about the shooting itself, and just pay attention to the "burn in hell" and "you're tools of satan" posts, and this might as well be the reaction to the ME3 ending.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
I have done something I have never done before I went an a facebook rampage I messeged everyone on that list and called them all fucking morons

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
Well if that's Ryan Lanza's facebook like than who cares. He's not even the shooter. Some stupid as fuck news organization decided to misinform the public into thinking that this kid (who is still alive) was the shooter so they put his face on the news as a killer.

Fuck the news.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Mycroft Holmes said:
My favorite is the lady demanding that they put a disclaimer that 'Mass Effect is not real life.' Like somehow someone would be running around completely confused as to where all the spaceships and aliens are.
Mhmm. Comments like the one you refer to make me wonder if these people know Mass Effect from Modern Warfare. Given the disclaimer comment, I'm inclined to say no (and in fact I'd venture as far as to say they're quite possibly unfamiliar enough with the game to believe that footage from Kane and Lynch could be attributed to Mass Effect).

More on topic: I find myself looking at the lines drawn and - like many - find them more than a little silly. Even if we can establish that the guy liked Mass Effect, what does that even mean? I mean, let's look at some other people and what they liked.

Gavrilo Princip's only friend in school (Momèilo Nastasijeviæ) was a poet and dramatist. Do we go around saying that Nastasijeviæ was responsible for Prinicip killing Archduke Ferdinand?

One of the Columbine Killers was a Lutheran. Is that connected to Klebold's actions?

John Wilkes Booth was an actor. Are we to take from that an interest in the performing arts is indicative of a budding assassin?

Hitler was a painter, a vegetarian and a writer. I don't see many people claiming any of those traits led him to do what he's infamous for.

Put a different way, I find myself reminded of a clip from Fox where Goth culture was getting similar blame cast. Switch the operative word from "goth" to "gamer" and Voltaire's comments in that clip seem very relevant here.

It's not so much that the connection seems valid as that it's a trait they fear, and thus almost want to associate bad things with.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Did you all know Hitler played Angry birds!? Seriously, he would tweet about it all the time. I think we should seriously take a deeper look into the warped minds of the people who made a game that created one of the greatest monsters in history.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
Guys, I heard that RYAN (read; Adam) LANZA DRANK WATER... ALMOST EVERY DAY!!!

The government really needs to get off its ass and start controlling water so sickos like this guy aren't hydrated enough to do stuff like this!

I also heard that he liked women. I'm sick of heterosexual men shooting people, SOMETHING MUST BE DONE.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
This gets even more hilariously stupid.

I searched for the guy's profile on Facebook, and a story came up about the authorities putting out the wrong name.

The shooter was ADAM Lanza, not Ryan Lanza.

Making the idiots posting hate mail on ME's page that much more idiotic.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
GTA - I get it but I disagree.
Saints Row - Kind of makes sense, but you can't blame the game It's still the person woth the pre-existing condition.
Call of Duty - You're being silly stop it.
Mass Effect - Are you off your meds?
Prediction for the next time this happens: "It's guitar hero's fault"

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
See? This is why I don't use Facebook. I know it's impossible to "catch" stupid from someone, but I prefer to play it safe.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
From what I read, Adam took his brother's ID and then drove to there mom's school.
Also, I have not been informed why, but I've been told that Ryan (Not suspected killer) was at the school. Cops took him for questioning. Seriously though, why do I get surprised to learn about the latest moronic ****-Trash's latest vacation into Idiotland. Amazingly, three game developers there. Low tax rates, you know.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
I swear, public/media reactions to this shit are getting worse and worse. It's like the world is actively TRYING to be stupid.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
This is the perfect example of people getting hysterical over things they understand sweet fuck all about.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
It's totally relatable and understandable that such a group of perhaps understandably paranoid people are irrational in times of grief.

It's still not acceptable to target the blameless, and it brings out people's often unpleasant agendas, but it's at least relatable.

I'm curious to see how many of these people have any relation to any of those affected by the shooting.