Mass Effect being blamed for Connecticut shooting.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
kasperbbs said:
So thats how Hitler ruined that moustache, people probably blamed it for what he did. I bet he liked it too.
The Nazi party ruined many things that are now considered by many countries and people as taboo... A big one would be the anything that resembles the Swastika where it is used in other religions and cultures as a peaceful symbol and goes way back by centuries compared to the Nazis...

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Unsilenced said:
http://www.facebook.com/BanMassEffect?ref=ts&fref=ts

I like that nobody has liked this page yet.

Smells a bit like trolls though.
You spoke too soon. They now have a fearsome militia of twelve with which to forever ban all interactive media that propagates any and all guns spaceship-mounted or otherwise.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Rose and Thorn said:
Hey, an idea occured to me. Maybe this has something to do with the end of the world? Maybe this Adam Lanza actually believed the world was going to end in 7 days and thought "Fuck it, I'll kill a bunch of kids and then off myself", thinking he'll be dead in a week anyway. I mean 26 random people being killed is pretty crazy, 20 of them being small children ages 5-10.
That just makes it sound like he killed them to spare them a worse fate... I think thats even worse to think about...

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Thespian said:
Unsilenced said:
http://www.facebook.com/BanMassEffect?ref=ts&fref=ts

I like that nobody has liked this page yet.

Smells a bit like trolls though.
You spoke too soon. They now have a fearsome militia of twelve with which to forever ban all interactive media that propagates any and all guns spaceship-mounted or otherwise.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ban-Ban-Mass-Effect/242897275840745

But this facebook page is now more popular, which makes me happy. :p

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Quite simply...

FFS.

Y'know, this makes me angry. It really fucking does. Angry at all these morons saying they hope Bioware rot in hell for for producing a game that will warp 'our' children and make them do things like this, just because they need something to blame.

I'm going to just go ahead and quote Chris Rock on this one:

'Whatever happened to crazy?'

Captcha: emperor's clothes. What are you trying to say Captcha? That blaming Mass Effect is baseless, just like an invisible suit? I agree.

gwilym101

Sep 12, 2011
People can't wrap their brains around the idea that certain people are capable of this. There was a case years ago, where two 10 year old boys kidnapped a two year old, stoned him to death and left his body on a train track.

I know people that worked in the courtrooms for the case, one kid was sobbing at what he had done, the other didn't understand what the fuss was about. He was plain and simple a psychopath.

The public and the media couldn't accept that this kid was capable of this, he must have been corrupted somehow. Eventually the media found out that the boys father own a copy of Chucky, and they latched onto this idea that somehow this film had caused it even though there was no evidence of any sort that the kid had watched the video at all.

With tragedies like this people always look for someone to blame, and who ever the target of this blame is (regardless of how involved they are) can get more hatred than the actual perpetrator.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the relatively little Mass Effect hate happening here, gaming is still gaining a reputation as a genuine form of entertainment like books or films so its an easy target. The same thing happened to films when they first became popular and widespread. Occasionally films and books still get this treatment as well, and this isn't like Brevik stating he used CoD to train for his shootings. The relationship is peripheral at best and will be forgotten about fairly soon, especially as it wasn't the person it was orginally stated to be.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
I loled. I love that picture.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Andy Shandy said:
Wait, so people were, and still possibly are, after the wrong person? Oh, this just gets better and better...
People today are still using the wrong name, so yeah.

This is one of the problems with the 24 hour news cycle. They spent most of yesterday repeating it, and now it's "fact."

What's the line from Liberty Valance? When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Well, they have a point. There is that part in ME3 where Shepard kills his mother and then...wait. Do explosive mind-controlled homicidal baby bugs count as children? And now that I think about it, I don't think shepard's mother actually died.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
NightowlM said:
Wow. People on Tumblr are dumbasses. How did this get 6 pages of comments here? No sane person with anything resembling reasonable intelligence would put the blame for this shooting on Mass Effect.
It wasn't the people on Tumblr that were blaming Mass Effect. They were the ones raging about it being blamed on Mass Effect which was what brought it to my attention.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I don't understand how a space opera set nearly 200 years in the future can be blamed for a school shooting. How the flyinf fuck are people putting 1 and 1 together and assuming that?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
EHKOS said:
I'm sorry, but the comments left look like trolls to me. Either that, or, with all my experience of it, I am STILL underestimating human stupidity.
Sadly they're not trolls. The Mass Effect Facebook page has loads of comments from idiots blaming the game and a 'Ban Mass Effect' Facebook page has even been created.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm sorry, I've never played a Mass Effect game.
Can someone tell me if there's anything in the game that people are even remotely connecting to the shooting or are they just blowing smoke here?

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
doggie015 said:
Animyr said:
Well, they have a point. There is that part in ME3 where Shepard kills his mother and then...wait. Do explosive mind-controlled homicidal baby bugs count as children? And now that I think about it, I don't think shepard's mother actually died.
I don't think we even got any hints as to who Shepard's mother is... For all we know it could very well have been Liara!
If you have the spacer origin, your mother appears briefly in Mass Effect 1. In the other origins your parents are either AWOL or dead. I assumed that they were killed by slavers and criminals, but apparently there's actually a scene where Shepard kills them that I wasn't aware of. Or so all of the middle-aged women are telling me.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
doggie015 said:
Ninjamedic said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
But I wanted to bring this to your attention. What are your thoughts on this?
I've posted this before, I'll do it again:

Bookmarking that video. Will definitely be using it in the future. Why does the media not listen to that man?
When I went on the CNN site and saw the news, the first thing I remembered was that clip. And sure enough, the news outlets are milking this for all it's worth.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
EHKOS said:
I'm sorry, but the comments left look like trolls to me. Either that, or, with all my experience of it, I am STILL underestimating human stupidity.
Sadly they're not trolls. The Mass Effect Facebook page has loads of comments from idiots blaming the game and a 'Ban Mass Effect' Facebook page has even been created.
You sure about that? Because really:

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
sleeky01 said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
EHKOS said:
You sure about that? Because really:

They're hardly anonymous since it has their names on Facebook.