Mass effect dev: "Stop thinking you're the producer."

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Yes people, let's ignore her entire (completely accurate) point and focus on the last line of the quote out of context because it fits your argument.

*Sigh. She's absolutely right. 99% of the time people who complain about day one DLC have no idea what they're talking about. And even that last sentence is right, however harsh it sounds. If you don't like what they're doing, and you've actually taken the time to understand it (because again, 99% of you haven't), then don't fucking buy it and move on with your life.

Jun 11, 2008
Phlakes said:
Yes people, let's ignore his entire (completely accurate) point and focus on the last line of the quote out of context because it fits your argument.

*Sigh. He's absolutely right. 99% of the time people who complain about day one DLC have no idea what they're talking about. And even that last sentence is right, however harsh it sounds. If you don't like what they're doing, and you've actually taken the time to understand it (because again, 99% of you haven't), then don't fucking buy it and move on with your life.
No offence I find it a bit funny that you've obviously read the article but missed that the ex Dev was a girl.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
lowkey_jotunn said:
SajuukKhar said:
that is like saying because you pay for a movie ticket you get to demand the director change th movie.

How can people be so entitled?
More like going to a movie, and 90% of the way through it stops... the producers walk in and say "It'll be $2 more to see the rest of it."

Damn straight we have the right to complain about that crap.

Normally, I like DLC. I like mini-expansion packs that let me keep playing my favorite games. I like the fact that the money goes right to the developers, but this is a crock of shit.

I'd probably even let it slide if this was the first time... but it's not. ME2 had Day 1 DLC too. Bioware just had the good sense to wait a few months before "releasing" it. Hint: Kasume. The whole Stolen Memories arc was intended to be part of ME2. The content is complete and on your disk, but they dummied it out, and let you pay $10 for it later.

The fact that they've become so brazen about it now just furthers the point that we NEED a vocal minority to keep the devs in check, or else you'll be buying games a la carte soon.

Let's see, that'll be
-$60 for the game
-$5 per character (beyond the base 3 or 4)
-$10 for the ending
-$10 more for a PROPER ending (with addition $2 options for multiple endings)

It's like micro-transactions games, without the basic prerequisite of being free in the first place.
Oh please. No, This DLC is more of an additional 5 minute slice-of-life short, than part of the main plot.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Blunderboy said:
Dear Mass Effect Dev,

WELL FUCKING SAID!

Regards, Blunderboy.
Yeah, Bioware - I'm with that guy.

Cheers, DoPo.

P.S. ME3 is too expensive at 60 bucks, can you talk to EA to lower the price a bit? Thanks again.

There, feel free to misinterpret and be plain wrong about the above.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Saucycarpdog said:
SajuukKhar said:
Saucycarpdog said:
http://kotaku.com/5892199/stop-thinking-youre-a-producer-former-mass-effect-designer-tells-gamers

Well, as the people who buy your games and pay for your salaries, I would say we do have some sort of control in what we want.
that is like saying because you pay for a movie ticket you get to demand the director change th movie.

Because fans shouldn't be exploited.

How can people be so snarky?
True. Fans shouldn't be exploited. But the fans don't pay their salaries. Not directly anyhow. Their money comes from higher ups (producers, publishers, etc) who get a big say on the matter (even if they are not fans of the materials/or don't quite get it). So EA actually pays their salary. With money that comes from many places, not just a money pit they exclusively set apart as "Mass Effect moneys".

I mean, from what I've read all this months up until the release of Mass Effect Bioware took into consideration a lot of fan input (such as the whole fem shep deal). But at the end it's their property and their game. And EA's money so Electronic Arts gets a say into what goes into the game.

In any case I presume you knew these basics but chose to ignore them in order to make a flawed statement as to I want some control on your work just because I like it and I have spent money on it in the past years.

Think of it like this: if you pay an artist to make a portrait of you (a piece exclusively for you and you alone) you get a LOT of say on what goes and not in the end into the final product.

But if you just happened to buy some of his/her paintings in the past, it doesn't give you the right to barge into his/her house and demand that he/she should change their style to accommodate your taste. (Just because you are a fan).

Anyhow feel free to disagree.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Saucycarpdog said:
http://kotaku.com/5892199/stop-thinking-youre-a-producer-former-mass-effect-designer-tells-gamers

Well, as the people who buy your games and pay for your salaries, I would say we do have some sort of control in what we want.

No its like saying because you paid to see the last two movies they should leave in scenes important to the story rather than remove them to be sold later. Its a bad analogy to start with but thats the correct view of it. They removed it from the original game specifically to exploit the fan base because the day one dlc is important to the stroy. Thats damn justification to be pissed off with them.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Misho- said:
But if you just happened to buy some of his/her paintings in the past, it doesn't give you the right to barge into his/her house and demand that he/she should change their style to accommodate your taste.
My response is more of a: "you know, I'm not a fan of how you charge by the color. I'm going to go buy more paintings by that Polish guy or support some street artists instead."

Mediteral

Apr 15, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Holy Shit! People are actually claiming that consumers have no right to complain about the products they buy? Oh right, it's just the special video games that are protected from criticism.
They say that here because a majority of the people on this site are biodrones who'll buy any game that's shoved in their faces if it has their favorite title on it, ethics be damned.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Glademaster said:
Phlakes said:
Yes people, let's ignore his entire (completely accurate) point and focus on the last line of the quote out of context because it fits your argument.

*Sigh. He's absolutely right. 99% of the time people who complain about day one DLC have no idea what they're talking about. And even that last sentence is right, however harsh it sounds. If you don't like what they're doing, and you've actually taken the time to understand it (because again, 99% of you haven't), then don't fucking buy it and move on with your life.
No offence I find it a bit funny that you've obviously read the article but missed that the ex Dev was a girl.
...I could've sworn it said Christian Norman. Or maybe it was just the Norman that confused me. Damn.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
ablac said:
No its like saying because you paid to see the last two movies they should leave in scenes important to the story rather than remove them to be sold later. Its a bad analogy to start with but thats the correct view of it. They removed it from the original game specifically to exploit the fan base because the day one dlc is important to the stroy. Thats damn justification to be pissed off with them.
not really, I highly doubt the DLC character is central to the story. It's more like going to a movie and then complaining because they deleted scenes from it and you don't want to wait till the DVD comes out to see the deleted scenes. Plus you already paid to see the movie so why do you have to buy a DVD just to see them?

I mean they shot them for the movie anyway!

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Speaking as an individual who has willingly paid his 80$ for the collector edition and has used his new Prothian teammate quite well, I feel entitled to retort to all the angry people around here. As I am a busy man however, I have had to outsource my retort through one Mr. N. Muntz.

Mr. Muntz, if you would be so kind?

Much appreciated.

Jeff Dunn

Feb 29, 2012
title is misleading. don't think that christina norman, the source of the title quote, worked on mass effect 3, so the statement isn't coming directly from bioware.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Limecake said:
ablac said:
not really, I highly doubt the DLC character is central to the story. It's more like going to a movie and then complaining because they deleted scenes from it and you don't want to wait till the DVD comes out to see the deleted scenes. Plus you already paid to see the movie so why do you have to buy a DVD just to see them?

I mean they shot them for the movie anyway!
Actually, you can still get the guy and talk to him and all that jazz. You just can't use him in combat.

Jun 11, 2008
Draech said:
Glademaster said:
I think you've all finally done it. You've finally made the word entitled as meaningless as epic fail and win. Time to take it out of my dictionary.

Also why won't people read the god damn source article? This is coming from an ex Bioware dev who is not was not involved in ME 3 but saying that does not invalidate her opinion and given the size of the DLC it makes it unlikely to be cut content. What more has me annoyed is laziness in other parts.
To be fair I was thinking some of it was lazy as well. Then I remembered that ME2 was released around this time last year.

They have made this in about 14 months. There is about 30 hours worth of content (give or take depending on if you are a completionist or not) with a VERY large cast. Even if they lifted the engine from the last game that pretty damm impressive. That they got sloppy here and there makes it a bit more believable.
A rushed cycle doesn't excuse darn right lazy and sloppy work in parts. As I said before just because someone writes an essay the night before and has at its core a good argument does not make it a good essay. If the language mechanics and presentation is not up to scratch well then it is bad. If something is not ready and unpolished means it should not be released. This isn't like it is being pushed out for Christmas and while probably not Bioware's fault still doesn't make it alright.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
ThriKreen said:
Thing is, just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean EVERYONE also doesn't like it... quite a lot are ok with DLC. So who should the devs be listening too? The ones boycotting the game, or the ones dropping money down for all those Space Marine skins?
I'd buy the hell out of those if people still played Space Marine.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Draech said:
deathbydeath said:
SajuukKhar said:
Saucycarpdog said:
]Because fans shouldn't be exploited.

How can people be so snarky?
Day 1 DLC was used in neither a cruel or unjust manner.

It is far from exploitation.
... It was content created in the development cycle that was cut out of the game and sold at an additional purchase. Good business practices reward consumers, not punish them. Taking away content is punishment.
Oh I am sorry you didn't finish your post. I mean I am a 3rd part and I do believe I get to decide when your post is done and when it isn't. I would like to have the drafts and the thought processes. After all you did those while you were writing this post.

Or how about something more reasonable.

That I shut up because who ultimately decided what you want to post and how you want to post it is you and I should take your post as is rather than what I believe what it should be?
Wait, wat?

The '...' indicates a pause. When I was typing this, I included the pause, because that is how I would reply to this statement verbally. By the way, where's your point?