Mass Effect Lead Writer: Next Game Can't Be A Spin Off

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I'm... more than a little apprehensive. If they set the game after (even way after) ME3, then they would either have to declare an ending cannon (which would render the already pointless ending choices moot) or basically build 3 games. If they set it before, there couldn't be humans. Unless they set it less than 40 years before, in which case they would be falling into prequel territory (please god no). I've seem some articles speculating that it could be fun to have a game set during the first contact war (terrible idea, it lasted 3 battles and has already been well explained/explored) or one of the other wars mentioned from before, which would, again, preclude the inclusion of humans. All of those would be bad because they're forgone conclusions. Yeah, "it's the journey, not the destination" and all that, but it's just an unnecessary limitation. Also, we know the main character will be voiced (which I'm a fan of), and that means either we'll have a human who sounds the same as a turian and krogan (especially jarring if female), or they'll have a ton of voice actors for the main character. I just see so many logistical issues...

Finally, if they opt to avoid all these issues (other than the VO) by setting it *way* outside of the timeline of the story, it's basically just a new game recycling the existing lore and coasting on brand recognition, in which case it might as well just be called spin off. I'd rather they just made a new series, to be honest. This trilogy (baring... that one part...) works perfectly fine on its own, and there's not much reason to keep milking it (from a consumer point of view, EA will obviously milk anything it damn well pleases). I really hope they prove me wrong, but... well it seems like quite a challenge.

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
JediMB said:
But the ending isn't the only reason I dislike Walters (and Hudson). There's the shift towards a stronger focus on human characters, and then there's the completely unnecessary character of Vega, who seemed to exist only so that Walters had a character of his own to write.
Vega's purpose was to ask questions about the state of the galaxy so that players new to the series could get some exposition. That's why he was a mandatory character on Palaven's moon. He asked questions about the krogan and turians so that Garrus could provide us with some exposition.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
Goddamn.

Though I can see where they're coming across from, I had no idea that the fanbase would be this rabid over the series even a year after the so called 'betrayal'. You just need to take what you can and roll with it.

I am looking forward to this new one though.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
So its gonna have to be a shit smeared prequel.

Seriously ME2 is one of my top 10 games. But if all Mass Effect can offer now is unadventurous prequels it can fuck off.