Mass Effect Movie in the Works

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Ah, c'mon, we can pretty much rule out a female Shepard. A decent video game movie is a long enough shot, let's not lengthen the odds by daring to hope for a decent video game movie with a strong female lead.

crobulator

Dec 27, 2009
why?!?! ....just no mass effect should not be a movie first conatact or the skillian blitz would be graet but i would bet my last cent that it will be based directly on the game
it wont be a bad film ....for those who have not played the game for those that have it will be terrible

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
theaceplaya said:
I vote Nathan Fillion for Captain Shepard
Actually, in all seriousness that would be the best option. He's got experience playing similar roles before, and doing well with them, and he's a well-known enough name now thanks to his roles as Caleb in Buffy and Castle in Castle that he's much more of a household name now than he was back in his Firefly days, for which only geeks and nerds like all of us are likely to know him from. So yeah, household name means he's likely to attract more of an audience, and experience in similar roles means he's a safe bet to do well as Shephard. Anyhow, Nathan Fillion is cool enough to play any male character in the series, though I'd love to see Adam Baldwin as Garret too, perhaps :). Just stick Summer Glau and Jewel Staite in there somewhere, and have Joss Whedon direct, and I'll be straight to the cinema :D.

And yes, I am a diehard Browncoat, and proud of it! Though my previous comments were all actually quite serious, especially about Fillion's skills for the role :D.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
<spoiler=Captain Shephard.
Middling height?
Short brown hair?
Stoic?
Agressive?
Badass?
Shouts a lot?

This sounds like a job for...>http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kvf6j2k4Ne1qznhoh.jpg
Just pray he has a better business card than Bioware.

But really I want Hugh Jackman, because he would be fabulous.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I'm more concerned about the writing of the character of Shepherd. Frankly, his part will be so linear that it would probably ruin if not destroy the adventure aspect of what we recall of playing the game. It was more about choices, and what choices are they going to portray in the movie that would ring true with the game?
I imagine they would have to play him up as the big hero that never makes a mistake, or else he'll make enough small mistakes (or one really big one) in order to create suspense and depth to the character... but is it any mistake that we as gamers would have made? I doubt it... especially if they intend to do a trilogy of the games as movies. Shepherd will not die by mistake, only by design in terms of the story transition between ME1 and ME2 where it fit in.

That being said, I can still foresee that it would make a great movie series. The cinematic aspect of the games would easily translate (despite the dialog trees), and if they just play off the basics of that element, you've probably got enough to make a basic movie.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Making a motion picture of Mass Effect feels, to me, like putting flames, a coffee-can exhaust and a two-foot spoiler on the back of a ten-year-old coupe.

Sure, it's a cool idea, but is it necessary?

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I don't think this is a good idea. Mass Effect is a game with lots of choices, so different people had different games. It seems like it would be too much to try to fit into a two hour movie.

Kirosilence

Nov 28, 2007
I just finished playing Mass Effect (again) and I am of the opinion that the only way this would work is if they did a storyline parallel to Shepard.

Although they already have a good concept built into Mass Effect 2...

"The Citadel Council thought the first Hanar spectre would play by the rules..."

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
I hope it isn't based on Shepard.

It would be better if it was simply based in the universe, rather than on the characters of the game.

I want to know more about the Rachni.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Baby Tea said:
high_castle said:
If they're smart, they won't try to adapt Shepard's story to the screen. Doing so would bug a lot of people, like those who played femSheps or anyone who made different choices than Movie!Shep. But the great thing about the ME 'verse is the depth to it. They could make a great film about first contact, for instance. And then it would be something of interest to both the gamers (who wouldn't have to see their personal canon defiled) and newcomers (who'd get a great intro to the franchise).
This is exactly what I'm thinking.
The Mass Effect universe is so fleshed out, that they can do a huge, great story without even touching on Shepard, the Reapers, or any of that. Or, at least, leaving Shepard out of it. The story of Mass Effect in the game is one of those 'your story' stories, so they just can't do a movie on it (Well, can't do it well).

But, using existing lore and canon, they could totally make a new, fresh story. I love the 'first contact' story idea. Or the Skillian Blitz! Or something set in the two years between Mass Effect 1 and 2 (Then you could even have familiar characters)! The possibilities are great. I just hope they do it right.
Couldn't we tell them that then? Won't do much if we just stand around telling each other...

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
(screams like the little fanboy he is) OMG OMG OMG I WILL WATCH IT, no really its a sign from the gods that theyr makeing a movie, they better not screw this film up....

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Punisher A.J. said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Jade Empire movie next, please!

Who would play Henpecked Hou? And Black Whirlwind?
JACKIE CHAN for Henpecked Hou.....he makes a kick ass drunk.

I vote this guy as commander shepard.
You pulling my leg? Those pixels shooped? Never seen a man with a CG twin otherwise.

Cuacuani

Nov 16, 2009
Kirosilence said:
I just finished playing Mass Effect (again) and I am of the opinion that the only way this would work is if they did a storyline parallel to Shepard.

Although they already have a good concept built into Mass Effect 2...

"The Citadel Council thought the first Hanar spectre would play by the rules..."
YES!

"This one has forgotten whether its heatsink is over capacity. It wonders whether the criminal scum considers itself fortunate?"

Apr 28, 2008
As I said before, they may not follow Shepard's story.
They may make a movie about the First Contact War.

After all, in First Contact there's space-battles, fighting on the ground, and plenty of crap in-between.

tanithwolf

For The Epic Tanith Wolf
Mar 26, 2009
I don't think a movie on mass effect's storyline would work as the talking to action ratio would throw off a lot of non fans and if they inverted that it would annoy the fans. But if they used the background material then we could potentially have something. My top three thoughts on what they could do without doing the games story are "The First Contact War", "The Rachni War" or the story of how the quarians lost their planet to the geth. The great thing about these is that they could all have a lot of action without ruining the main story, Shepard wouldn't be in any of them and it would give fans even more information on three of the biggest historical events in the game.

[edit] also throw in the "Krogan Rebellion" into the list, I don't know how I forgot that.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I'm suddenly reminded of something from Mass Effect 2. When you listen to some of the advertisements on the Citadel they do a commercial for a film called "The Citadel" which is the story of the first game told by the perspective of film producers in the mass effect universe itself. Was this intentional to what we have learned today? Who knows. *Twilight zone music*

Anyway this is a very touchy subject and can fail in practically every way. A part of me wants to see a game to movie adaption just to see life-action scenes of the characters and battles. But to stay true to the source material without cutting tons of stuff out they'd have to pick something only remotely tied to the story which would make no sense to people not familiar with the game already.

We'll just have to wait and see.

As for the cast, I'd agree Nathan Fillion would be a good choice for Shepard. And of course, they'd have to bring Liz Sroka on as Tali again, no one else could do her voice so well.

Edit: Actually reading over it again and their comment about humanities role in the galaxy of Mass Effect, it gives me the disturbing feeling it will take place in the same time as the games. Will it be a straight adaption? I'm going to call it and say yes.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
This is bloody great news. I love sci-fi films, and sci-fi games, and maybe Mass Effect can possibly be the best of both worlds! Maybe not, but a guy can dream can't he?

I hope they don't adapt the story spot on for the movie, as that NEVER works. But there's going to be some obstacles in the movie, as well as a possible advantage. You can play the story in different ways, and it can turn out differently throughout and you can act differently, so this means it is impossible for them to follow the story. But this also means they can make it their own.

Let's see how this turns out, maybe it'll be a trilogy, like the games. All I know is the universe is deep enough for a movie, so I hope it's an awesome title, and not another flop.