Mass Effect Movie in the Works

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, the studio has some pedigree behind it at very least which is good. So, lets hope they can do something good with it

...just please dont give it to Bay...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
another game to film conversion?

*sarcastic frown*
yay,I wonder how they are going to screw this one up the arse but then again I could be thankful that's its not going to be directed by uwe boll.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
So, a Mass Effect film that's not about Mass Effect? I have to say that as a Mass Effect fan, I'd have zero interest.

And I'd rather see someone like Justin Louis as Shepard. I was hesitant to mention him because he's already performing a similar role on television, but since you guys had to bring Nathan Fillion into this...

What about the rest of the cast?

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
I read an article in a magazine about this a few months ago, one of the Bioware guys said that if they were to make a movie or more then 3 ME games, Shepard wouldn't be in it.

They really shouldn't interfere with the story used in the games as it's exactly THAT that makes Game movies bad. Everyone has a different experience in a game, especially in RPG's.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
Unless im missing something,theres not a 100% go ahead that it will even be about shepard, it could be set before mass effect 1, meaning no fanboys will get angry over the shepard not meeting they're hopes, and theres absolutely no way they can cock up the characters, personally i hope this is the case,however if they go with the actual ME story,then Christian bale or the guy who played persues in clash of the titans are the only who i can think look like the default shep, which i assume they will have to go with

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
So, a Mass Effect film that's not about Mass Effect? I have to say that as a Mass Effect fan, I'd have zero interest.

And I'd rather see someone like Justin Louis as Shepard. I was hesitant to mention him because he's already performing a similar role on television, but since you guys had to bring Nathan Fillion into this...

It wouldn't be possible to adapt the story of Mass Effect from the games into a film.
The games are 15 hours long, even if you take 10 hours of that as "dicking around," you still have 5 hours of plot, and even if only 3 of those are essential, the films still too damn long.

So if you are going to have to have a Mass Effect film, it can't be about the events of the game. This would also solve the problem of "those who've lived it wouldn't want to watch it"
I wonder if the people who were in WW2 are bored of all the WW2 films though...

However, Mass Effect remains a better film prospect then the Bioshock movie, purely for the sake of there being character interaction.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Andy Chalk said:

Isn't the universe and the atmosphere from the games the most important thing? I personally would prefer them to not use the game storyline.

Which is what they did in the books (and that worked out great)

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
**********************Filled with Spoilers**************************************************** How do I say this. We all know the Mass Effect Universe will live on long after Shepard. So the what to do with the movie should be very simple. The movie SHOULD NOT be based on the game we are playing. There are many choices we cad do with this. We can base it on a character we know very little about like Saren, maybe flesh out his background. We could also base it on an Asari Commando. A certain Asari, Aria, comes to mind. Maybe it could be based on her past, maybe even her run in with Wrex could be the climax. There are many paths that can be taken, but DO NOT BASE IT ON THE GAME though.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
MorteSphere said:
I hope it isn't based on Shepard.

It would be better if it was simply based in the universe, rather than on the characters of the game.

I want to know more about the Rachni.
You and me both, i would still like it to be about a human however, and not a alien, also i DONT want them to put turians in it, i love Turians, with a passion, and theres no way a film could depict them in a way that would make me happy.

Then again.. a story about garrus before he met shep,and before he joined Csec.. the rebel gang banger turned noble space hero (Ive just made that up, as far as i know not much is said about garrus before Csec, but it could be added)

Feb 19, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! this movie will be complete arse- the games choices are so awsoime the movie will stomp on them and say- this commander shepard is a horny jerk and likes to bang chicks!(sorry if im immature but im trying to make a point) i hope they base it more about the mass effect universe like the discovery of mass relays, the rachni wars, the krogans etc..

Seatownstriker

May 19, 2010
Everything inside me says this is a bad idea. I think the only way they could pull it off is if it didn't have Sheppard in it. And even if they did have him in it, I'd still watch it. Cause I'm not really that much of a critic.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Hiphophippo said:
You pulling my leg? Those pixels shooped? Never seen a man with a CG twin otherwise.
That's the model Shepard was based off. Most of the characters are modelled after RL people (Samara's real life counterpart is uncanny, even tho it's an Asari).

--

I can't see a movie working to be honest, Mass Effect is a sprawling cinematic epic as is; it just wouldn't work being crammed into a 90 minute flick. Guess I'd give it a watch if it came out tho.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
I think as long as the actors do a great job and put emotion behind the characters, whether they are human or not, the audience will connect and empathize with them as they did in Avatar. I mean, all the aliens are humanoids anyways so its just a matter of makeup. It will be interesting to see how they break up the games into movies and if they will job focus on a specific part of one of the games and make one movie or try to make a trilogy that follows closely to the games.

And while I love the shit out of the games, I hope they adapt the story for something that would do better in a movie. Cause god know, I don't want to watch two hours of Shep recruiting various people for the last movie. I am a ME fan boy and I am proclaiming that they adjust the story, even if its substantial. And if you cry about the story being changed then go back and actually look at it and truly ask yourself if that would make a good movie.

NAHTZEE said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! this movie will be complete arse- the games choices are so awsoime the movie will stomp on them and say- this commander shepard is a horny jerk and likes to bang chicks!(sorry if im immature but im trying to make a point) i hope they base it more about the mass effect universe like the discovery of mass relays, the rachni wars, the krogans etc..
Nah, they would make shep the stereotypical white male who comes in to save the day and be the super good guy. Although it would be nice to see him make some morally ambiguous choices in order to save the day. Would be awesome to see him choose to kill the council to allow the humans to rule the universe or something to that degree.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I don't disagree that Mass Effect could be made into a great movie, I'm just not convinced that it should. I've begun to think that the reason videogame movies fail is simply that for the so-called "built-in audience," which is to say gamers, the experience is inevitably diminished. Why would I want to watch Shepard when I've already been Shepard?
I disagree.

I would guess that most people that go watch an ME movie would be ME gamers, as non-ME gamers wouldn't know if the storyline/atmosphere/universe were good.

"Why would I watch Shepard when I've already been Shepard? "

Because you loved being Shepard? I played and completed ME 1 and 2 several times, I don't care if I've been shepard before, I just want to replay the darn thing since it's so awesome!

Though I have to say again, that the REAL reason that gamemovies don't work, is because when you use a (main)character out of a game in a movie, people might find that he/she doesn't look like his/her character from the game at all. This is why they shouldn't interfere with the storyline/characters from the game

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Andy Chalk said:

The rest of the cast? Well, I'm guessing right now that the voice actors for Garrus, Wrex, Tali, Saren and any other members of the alien cast in the game are pretty much guaranteed to be reprising their roles in the movie.

Keith David is probably going to play Anderson because he was the character's voice actor. Likewise for Seth Green as Joker after they beard him up a bit.

Covering Ali Hillis in blue makeup so she could play Liara could work in theory, but I'm not holding my breath. The same goes for Marina Sirtis as Benezia.

Oh, and I'll bet you $20 right now that Michelle Rodriguez gets casted as Ashley Williams.

Legend of J

Feb 28, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Jade Empire movie next, please!

Who would play Henpecked Hou? And Black Whirlwind?
YEAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear jade empire best game ever but it would have to be in 2 or 3 parts.

Funny enough for black whirlwind id pick ray stevenson...he is a tall and scary lookin guy.

Henpecked hou...dunno lol.