Mass Effect Movie Script.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
The Mass Effect Movie Script has been written.
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/726253/mass-effect-movie-script-written-to-be-based-on-first-mass-effect-game/

(Edit: I doubt this is the official Cover art People. I just found it online. I think it is fan made. So stop freaking out on it.)

No. No no no. NONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONO!

I happen to think Mass Effect was really good (Baring the ending...) and I do not want to see this happen. Mostly because Video Game movies tend to SUUUUUUUUUCK.

Thoughts?

Savo

Jan 27, 2012
I don't know about this.

Cliches aside, ME is well written--excluding the ending of course--and it wouldn't feel out of place in the cinema world. But, ME has far too much character development, small details, and dialogue to possibly fit in a two hour film.

However, they probably could squeeze the main plot into a two hour film if they were careful enough about choosing what mattered and what didn't in the grand scheme of things. Assuming the screenwriter was careful enough, I could see this becoming a pretty good movie even if it doesn't measure up to the source material.

I do hope that the studio gives it a large budget. It'd be a shame if they got a good script but didn't have the money to make it look good on the big screen.

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
Did you even read the URL? This isn't on the third game, it's on the first. Either way, I'm not sure what to think about this. I feel the game did a better job telling a story than film could. Guess we'll find out...

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Seriously, my head just did that tilt to the side wtf rotate thing with a furrowed brow... No. Just no. Unless Mark Vanderloo plays Shepard and Mark Meer voices him all the other voice actors play themselves, no. Another story set in the ME Universe? Fine.

I sincerely can't fathom the amount of rage fans will have for EA if this goes poorly. EA has nothing to do with it, I know, but, still. Hopefully it doesn't kill Bioware, either.

Don't do it, Legendary. I like you, you're smart and funny and great so please don't do this.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This will probably suck, but who honestly knows at this point. Also, G4 can't spell Shepard's name right.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh, what's the worst that could happen?

Someone makes a crappy movie. World keeps spinning.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Savo said:
I don't know about this.

Cliches aside, ME is well written--excluding the ending of course--and it wouldn't feel out of place in the cinema world. But, ME has far too much character development, small details, and dialogue to possibly fit in a two hour film.

However, they probably could squeeze the main plot into a two hour film if they were careful enough about choosing what mattered and what didn't in the grand scheme of things. Assuming the screenwriter was careful enough, I could see this becoming a pretty good movie even if it doesn't measure up to the source material.

I do hope that the studio gives it a large budget. It'd be a shame if they got a good script but didn't have the money to make it look good on the big screen.
To be honest though, that can be said about every video game that's ever been made. Most games are over 3-5 hours long, and there are often too many subtleties, mechanics, and stuff in general to turn into any film. Games and books alike are difficult to turn into movies for that reason--there's just too much stuff to make a decently paced film. Even three, in Mass Effect's case.

I think the key is to take a good, hard look at the game and find its "soul." The writers need to look at it and ask what makes this game's story work? That are the main themes and motifs that give it life? Their goal isn't to summarize every event that took place, but to find a way to touch on the game's major themes and story arcs while staying true to the characters and the world. Because really, do people really love Mass Effect for what happened? Or do they love the characters that were revealed and explored as the story progressed?

Also, calling it right now. They're going to use Maleshep.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Lilani said:
Savo said:
I don't know about this.

To be honest though, that can be said about every video game that's ever been made. Most games are over 3-5 hours long, and there are often too many subtleties, mechanics, and stuff in general to turn into any film. Games and books alike are difficult to turn into movies for that reason--there's just too much stuff to make a decently paced film. Even three, in Mass Effect's case.

I think the key is to take a good, hard look at the game and find its "soul." The writers need to look at it and ask what makes this game's story work? That are the main themes and motifs that give it life? Their goal isn't to summarize every event that took place, but to find a way to touch on the game's major themes and story arcs while staying true to the characters and the world. Because really, do people really love Mass Effect for what happened? Or do they love the characters that were revealed and explored as the story progressed?

Also, calling it right now. They're going to use Maleshep.
I think that's already been confirmed. I am interested to know what's going to stay in the story. There is so much stuff going on in ME1.

If I had to guess:

- Open with Eden Prime
- Citadel
- Virmire
- Ilos
- Citadel maybe one more time

I don't envy the filmmakers.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I didn't enjoy the games (1 & 2 anyway, I didn't bother with 3)

So I'm not really interested in this either....

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Wait, wait, wait. What about the movie that was supposed to be based on The First Contact War?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
IllumInaTIma said:
Wait, wait, wait. What about the movie that was supposed to be based on The First Contact War?
I think that could be a very interesting game.

However I would be against killing Turians because they are cool.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Meh. Not really into movies these days anyway (last time I saw one was True Grit almost two years ago). So I'll just be pretending this doesn't exist.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Could be good could be bad. Time will tell. I'll probably see it if it doesn't look super terrible.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Solo-Wing said:
The Mass Effect Movie Script has been written.
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/726253/mass-effect-movie-script-written-to-be-based-on-first-mass-effect-game/

No. No no no. NONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONO!

I happen to think Mass Effect was really good (Baring the ending...) and I do not want to see this happen. Mostly because Video Game movies tend to SUUUUUUUUUCK.

Thoughts?
Weren't they always planning on a movie? Since like the very first game wasn't it a given through dev word-of-mouth?

I think they could probably fit it into a movie, but maybe not just two hours. They did an okay job with the LoTR books into movies, so I hope it at least hits about the 2 1/2 to 3 hour mark.

How they'll choose love interests or the large decisions makes me wonder, though. Unless they cut out all the meat and only have the bare bones of the games.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure it doesn't take long to right a script based on the story of a game that was already made.

But now, we finally get to find out...

The true correct decisions.