Mass Effect Movie Script.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!

Even if the movie's well made, it will destroy everything special about Mass Effect! Mass Effect ONLY WORKS AS A GAME!!!

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Doopliss64 said:
Wait, Legendary is producing? Just get Nolan to direct. Instant win.

(Yes, I know what I just said is totally unrealistic.)

Also, I'm calling it: Martin Freeman as Shepard, Christopher Walken as Sovereign.

Danny DeVito as that Volus banker guy.
We have.... No be-GIN-ing... and... no end!

We simply yyyaAAAAARRREEeee!

This ex...CHAyange is- over...

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Fappy said:
Lilani said:
Savo said:
I don't know about this.

Cliches aside, ME is well written--excluding the ending of course--and it wouldn't feel out of place in the cinema world. But, ME has far too much character development, small details, and dialogue to possibly fit in a two hour film.

However, they probably could squeeze the main plot into a two hour film if they were careful enough about choosing what mattered and what didn't in the grand scheme of things. Assuming the screenwriter was careful enough, I could see this becoming a pretty good movie even if it doesn't measure up to the source material.

I do hope that the studio gives it a large budget. It'd be a shame if they got a good script but didn't have the money to make it look good on the big screen.
To be honest though, that can be said about every video game that's ever been made. Most games are over 3-5 hours long, and there are often too many subtleties, mechanics, and stuff in general to turn into any film. Games and books alike are difficult to turn into movies for that reason--there's just too much stuff to make a decently paced film. Even three, in Mass Effect's case.

I think the key is to take a good, hard look at the game and find its "soul." The writers need to look at it and ask what makes this game's story work? That are the main themes and motifs that give it life? Their goal isn't to summarize every event that took place, but to find a way to touch on the game's major themes and story arcs while staying true to the characters and the world. Because really, do people really love Mass Effect for what happened? Or do they love the characters that were revealed and explored as the story progressed?

Also, calling it right now. They're going to use Maleshep.
I think that's already been confirmed. I am interested to know what's going to stay in the story. There is so much stuff going on in ME1.

If I had to guess:

- Open with Eden Prime
- Citadel
- Virmire
- Ilos
- Citadel maybe one more time

I don't envy the filmmakers.
If it goes for three hours, then they could fit all that in, maybe squeeze in Noveria, which is kind of essential if they're going to do a sequel, though it will have to be severely shortened, probably starting off at Peak 15. I think it could work, but there's a lot that could go wrong so if it does get made we'll just have to see what happens. I'm going to remain sceptical until it is either A) Done or B) Cancelled.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
If Commander Shepard isn't played by Reb Brown, i'm not watching.

Commander Dirk Hardpeck Shepard

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
CmRet said:
I'm a superfan for the games so I can only hope and pray that they don't screw this up. And that they get the right people to play/voice the right characters. And that we get to see a Quarian's face...
Didn't they already do this in ME3? I remember a big kerfuffle over it because the image was just a free photo from a website that was Photoshoped.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Ed130 said:
CmRet said:
I'm a superfan for the games so I can only hope and pray that they don't screw this up. And that they get the right people to play/voice the right characters. And that we get to see a Quarian's face...
Didn't they already do this in ME3? I remember a big kerfuffle over it because the image was just a free photo from a website that was Photoshoped.
You can also see maskless quarians in the EC ending of ME3 if you fulfill certain conditions.

Regrettably, they appear to simply be purple humans with reversed knees and 3 digits per limb. Severely regrettable, in fact, considering how unique all the other ME races are. I mean, I'm willing to allow parallel evolution to explain human-asari similarities, but do that for more than two races and we're going into the realm of implausible.

I always imagined the quarians to be lizard-esque.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
... based on the first game, you say?

... a movie Tali, you say?

Well, unless there's a gratuitous ass shot during a very long elevator ride, it just won't match my playthrough.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.
On the bright side, at least with Tali they might get the original voice actress. On the down side...fuck that, they'll go for star power, the corporate whores.

Enjoy your not-Tali! >.<

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Innegativeion said:
Ed130 said:
CmRet said:
You can also see maskless quarians in the EC ending of ME3 if you fulfill certain conditions.

Regrettably, they appear to simply be purple humans with reversed knees and 3 digits per limb. Severely regrettable, in fact, considering how unique all the other ME races are. I mean, I'm willing to allow parallel evolution to explain human-asari similarities, but do that for more than two races and we're going into the realm of implausible.

I always imagined the quarians to be lizard-esque.
Every species thinks asari look remarkably like their own, so I'm willing to bet there is some psychological monkeying around going on...

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Raven said:
OT: This movie stands to be reasonable. As long as they don't aim to pander to the hardcore fans, they can probably just get on and make a decent, coherent film. The fans have their games, nothing, not even a shit movie will ruin that.
I'm not so sure about that. I mean time constraints all but require that Shepherd focus nigh-exclusively on the mission itself, which makes it that much harder to introduce the audience to the universe in question and its quirks. And the bare minimum with that is to 1) Introduce the Mass Relays, 2) Describe humanity's rapid expansion, 3) Describe the significance of Eden Prime, 4) go into the First Contact War, 5) Introduce the council races, 5) Introduce the concept of the Keepers, 6) Introduce the concept of the Spectres, 7) Introduce the Quarians and their conflict with the Geth...and that's just to make the audience connect with what's happening with Eden Prime. Then as follow-up the audience needs to know about the Rachni, the Krogans, the Rachni War, Krogan Rebellion and Genophage for the discovery on Noveria to make any sense, to say nothing of giving depth to Wrex's character...there's just so much they have to go into that I can't see ME1 working as a single movie without butchering the lore and making a mockery of the concept of pacing in the process. I could maybe see it as a series, but a feature film? Honestly, I'd expect a well-paced Mass Effect movie to end just after Shepherd gave his little "let's get Saren" speech to the crew after he became a Spectre and then cover the rest of the first game in sequels to the film. But maybe that's just me.

J. Mazarin

Jun 25, 2012
MelasZepheos said:
When you make a movie like this, you're making it for the fans. Why would people who didn't play Mass Effect the videogame care about Mass Effect the movie?
Why would people who never touched a Transformers toy in their life trample each other to get a chance to see Michael Bay's movies?

Why would people who had never even heard of the Hunger Games books flock to theaters when the movie adaptation came out?

Why would people who never read the Twilight books lose their minds over the Twilight movies?

Why would people who dismissed Harry Potter.... etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. you get my point.

Face it, if Hollywood's making a movie out of Mass Effect they really don't give much of a shit about the "core fans". They want to sell the movie to casual moviegoers, and that's what they'll do.

OT: Anything is possible, the LOTR series proved that much.

Not saying any potential ME movie series has the capability of matching the LOTR movies, but still.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Asita said:
Raven said:
OT: This movie stands to be reasonable. As long as they don't aim to pander to the hardcore fans, they can probably just get on and make a decent, coherent film. The fans have their games, nothing, not even a shit movie will ruin that.
I'm not so sure about that. I mean time constraints all but require that Shepherd focus nigh-exclusively on the mission itself, which makes it that much harder to introduce the audience to the universe in question and its quirks. And the bare minimum with that is to 1) Introduce the Mass Relays, 2) Describe humanity's rapid expansion, 3) Describe the significance of Eden Prime, 4) go into the First Contact War, 5) Introduce the council races, 5) Introduce the concept of the Keepers, 6) Introduce the concept of the Spectres, 7) Introduce the Quarians and their conflict with the Geth...and that's just to make the audience connect with what's happening with Eden Prime. Then as follow-up the audience needs to know about the Rachni, the Krogans, the Rachni War, Krogan Rebellion and Genophage for the discovery on Noveria to make any sense, to say nothing of giving depth to Wrex's character...there's just so much they have to go into that I can't see ME1 working as a single movie without butchering the lore and making a mockery of the concept of pacing in the process. I could maybe see it as a series, but a feature film? Honestly, I'd expect a well-paced Mass Effect movie to end just after Shepherd gave his little "let's get Saren" speech to the crew after he became a Spectre and then cover the rest of the first game in sequels to the film. But maybe that's just me.
There is a lot of detail yes but other film adaptations have handled lore of that magnitude in the past and still been great films for anyone who was unfamiliar with the source material. Case in point being the Lord of the ring trilogy. Most of the stuff about Mass Relays, krogan rebellions, genophage, council races etc can be done in a 5-8 min prologue. Other details like Humanity joining the intragalactic community, spectres and side missions can be done in exposition scenes, dialogue, monologue and even in a montage.

There are ways of dealing with problems like this, if random Internet bods can list the hurdles, so can a film maker worth his or her salt. We just need to hope this film gets a high enough budget to see the project through.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
My problem with the idea of a Mass Effect movie is the fact that the game was already tailor-made to provide an almost cinematic experience. As a whole, you're essentially part of one big trilogy of sci-fi action movies. The icing on the cake being that you more or less personalize that experience with your own choices.

While any producer/director/whatnot with a big budget could extract some decent semblance of plot and put it onto the big screen, the question is why?

I suppose that should be rhetorical, given the huge number of adaptations we already have. But I just don't see any kind of original spin they can put on it. Example being, while I hate all the Resident Evil movies after the first, they at least put a somewhat original spin on the series while remaining (kind of) true to it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is going to end up like such a Star Trek/Star Wars knock off, it'll make Galaxy Quest look more original.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
IndomitableSam said:
Seriously, my head just did that tilt to the side wtf rotate thing with a furrowed brow... No. Just no. Unless Mark Vanderloo plays Shepard and Mark Meer voices him all the other voice actors play themselves, no. Another story set in the ME Universe? Fine.

I sincerely can't fathom the amount of rage fans will have for EA if this goes poorly. EA has nothing to do with it, I know, but, still. Hopefully it doesn't kill Bioware, either.

Don't do it, Legendary. I like you, you're smart and funny and great so please don't do this.
Matthew Fox (Lost) would personjally be my choice of Shepard.

Seeing as he has played a character called Shepherd before...

Plus the resemblence between him and Sheploo is quite high:

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
IndomitableSam said:
Seriously, my head just did that tilt to the side wtf rotate thing with a furrowed brow... No. Just no. Unless Mark Vanderloo plays Shepard and Mark Meer voices him all the other voice actors play themselves, no. Another story set in the ME Universe? Fine.
That's the beef I have with the idea; there already is an almost full (voice) cast AND there are already some faces attached to the characters... There's no way somebody who's spent next to four hundred hours listening to and looking at the characters won't be shifting in his seat uneasily throughout the full movie.

I'm totally ready to give it a shot though. If it's well-made on the technical side, there's bound to be some good game/movie composites on youtube. AND it might actually be fun to watch.

endtherapture said:
Matthew Fox (Lost) would personjally be my choice of Shepard.

Seeing as he has played a character called Shepherd before...
Oh god, no. I can't see Matthew Fox without hating his guts anymore. Not since LOST.