Mass Effect Remaster is happening

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh, I know, I just don't care.

I'm not really trying to be snide. But ME doesn't need a remaster - the most appealing thing about this is simply the notion of having all three games bundled together. And if we're talking about a new installment, again, there's no real way you can go beyond ME3 and not upset people, and you can only do so many prequels. Andromeda's an open slate, but no-one seems to want to touch it, and I can get why.

I said it when Andromeda came out and I'll say it again, if BioWare wants a sci-fi IP, a new IP would be a better choice.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Sorry, I'm with Hawki on this.

The games that actually mean anything to me will be on the Switch. I'm too used to gaming where ever I want to be now. I don't want to have to wait until a tv's free to do what I want. Mass Effect could be on the switch. But whatever.

I hope someone gets joy from this.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Meh. I've got a lot of fondness for the franchise (Mass Effect 2 especially), but let's be honest. The series doesn't need a remaster so much as it needs a rewrite into a tighter, more cohesive narrative. For all my affection for Mass Effect 2, it was really more of a 1.5 in that - especially with the late retcon to remove the Dark Energy narrative from ME3 - it ended up basically adding nothing to the story, and Mass Effect 3 spent most of the game playing catchup on establishing alliances that should have been the focus of the second installment rather than the series climax. Nevermind how everyone was playing catch with the idiot ball to create an excuse for more faffing about (Sorry, we can't affort to commit to fighting against the robotic space squids killing us now, we're too worried that this other race we're nominally aligned with will have population issues in a few centuries...), to say nothing of the literal last minute narrative swerve. I don't really see much point in slapping on a fresh coat of paint on it when it's still recent-ish and my main complaint is structural issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: deleted20220709

bobdark

Legacy
Apr 7, 2008
My 360 collection copy is backwards compatible, the only way I would get it if it came to Switch, but EA hates Nintendo.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, I won’t lie the first one could use a new coat of paint since it’s pretty dated and it’s combat system is butt cheeks but most of the other issues with the game are so baked in it would need rebuilt from the ground up. I’ll keep an eye, because it would be nice to play them at my monitor’s max res without menu scaling going to shit or losing a quarter of the screen to black bars.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm not really trying to be snide. But ME doesn't need a remaster - the most appealing thing about this is simply the notion of having all three games bundled together.
I think the most appealing thing about this might be that you'll actually be able to have complete versions of the games.

Currently if you want to replay the games some of the DLC will be missing, because there is some DLC that was tied to the Cerberus Network and those servers no longer exist.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Call me when they do a full remake where they keep the story of ME1 but give it the gameplay of ME2/3, keep the characters from ME2 but change most of the story and trash most of ME3. It's like all 3 game have some of the parts needed to make an amazing game, but they're all one step forward one step backward deal.

Also they hinted at some other game in the franchise, but why? You can't do a sequel without major retcon, you can't really do a prequel cause people don't like to play game without human (I'd love a rachni war/Krogan uprising game but that'll never happen). Andromeda is a dumbster fire that they never even bothered releasing the DLC for it that was almost certainly partway done on release, so they won't do a sequel to that. Maybe they could do some sort of smaller scale game happening between the start of ME1 and the start of ME3, I'd like to play as a specter and go around the galaxy fixing medium scale problem, but game always want to be bigger than what happened before so I doubt they'll do that.

A new IP is really the best move for them.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Everyone knows the ending.
Because you know the ending, that makes it bad? So, everything you ever play and/or watch becomes bad once you've finished it?

Or are you trying to imply because they didn't stick the landing at the end of the trilogy, that retroactively made the other games bad as a result?

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Because you know the ending, that makes it bad? So, everything you ever play and/or watch becomes bad once you've finished it?

Or are you trying to imply because they didn't stick the landing at the end of the trilogy, that retroactively made the other games bad as a result?
The terrible ending does leave a bad impression regardless and has definitely ruined any motivation I had for starting a new character. Yeah sure there's a lot of fun middle moments, but in the end they all culminate in pushing one of three buttons in the ending-o-matron. For many people, how something ends tends does affect the general feel for what happened before. I could have the best meal at a place, but if I find a cockroach in my dessert - well I'm not going back just because their steak was really good.

Though the other half for me is that ME1 has aged about as well as milk when it comes to gameplay systems, and I don't think I have it in me to put up with that. While I like to joke about the Mako after the fact, good lord I don't want to explore those planets again.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Currently if you want to replay the games some of the DLC will be missing, because there is some DLC that was tied to the Cerberus Network and those servers no longer exist.
Do you know if any of the missing DLC is singleplayer?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Do you know if any of the missing DLC is singleplayer?
Yes, some of the DLC is single player story content, and I think there's even a DLC crew member. Most of the DLC is weapons and armor though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Not gonna lie, I actually really like the Mass Effect series for the gameplay first, story second. So a remastered first game, which I haven't played cuz it looks ass, would be pretty cool. Wouldn't pay anything more than $5 though.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
A remaster of ME1 would be nice. It is... not polished
One would hope they'd fix the inventory system along the way. Or least least add some QoL features.

That's legit my biggest complaint about the first game. I don't even mind the Mako very much.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I mean, I sorta like this, but... do I wanna put myself through all of that again?

Oh who am I kidding, I'll pick it up. Still though, *sigh*

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
One would hope they'd fix the inventory system along the way. Or least least add some QoL features.

That's legit my biggest complaint about the first game. I don't even mind the Mako very much.
I'd like the heat system on the guns pushed all the way through the series... Or maybe the weight system from ME3

Reactions: Dalisclock

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, im excited.

I've always loved Mass Effect 2 and 3, exactly how they are - warts, and the ending, and all.

Im really excited to see what they manage to pull off with this remaster, particularly with the first game, which is the only one that I haven't replayed half-a-dozen times.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Oh cool, didn't see that coming. Apart from all the leaks. Will be interesting to give femshep a go as I missed out on that. Wonder if they'll FFV-remake the ending though, with mystical meta ghosts and all that. Surely in the eyes of the fans it couldn't be any worse...right? 😉

...if BioWare wants a sci-fi IP, a new IP would be a better choice.
*Anthem sobs alone at the bar*

Btw, Bioware announced a new entry into the Mass Effect universe too, did anyone see that part?

Last edited: