Mass Effect virgin almost five years later

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
So here's an odd proposition. I like RPGs, but I have never played Mass Effect before yesterday, so I wanted to give it a shot. I like Knights of the Old Republic and figure this couldn't be so bad but I'm nine hours in and have decided that this venture is not worth my time. Why does the game feel like a visual novel with some shooty bits? Why do the shooty bits annoy me when I'm waiting for my ridicule to calm down (was playing a solider)? Why can I count the gunfights I've had since the start of the game on one hand? Why does this vehicle handle like a Warthog from Halo? I'm honestly asking for answers to this game.

What do people think is so good about it?

Is it the story? Because if it is I'd rather just read the synopsis and run off to play something else. I'm not saying that a constant run around of shooting needs to be going on (I did mention Halo, but I don't think those games are particularly great) but all I felt I was doing was running around doing errands while trying to read a novel. Even Fallout (3 and NV, I haven't played the others) has the mechanic of "if you're bored, go outside and shoot the wildlife" whereas in Mass Effect I can't seem to do that. I'm having a revival of old games in my library and honestly if I'd rather play Drakengard than this I think something went wrong here.

That being said, is there a particularly great western-RPG out there? I mean, I have played Fable, Mass Effect and Fallout and none of them have frosted my pants. Is Skyrim really all it's cracked up to be? (I don't really wanna play in first person) Is there any hope for something I might like? I like Japanese RPGs quite a bit (Tales of Syphonia, Xenosaga I & III, Final Fantasy games) but I can't figure out what's so special about Mass Effect or if anything made in the Western Hemisphere.

Before somebody mentions The Witcher, I happen to love those games so no worries.

Please note, I'm now on Mass Effect 2, read my other replies for a full story.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
This feels a bit like flame bait, but I'll attempt to respond cordially and succinctly. Different strokes for different folks. I like Mass Effect for it's character interaction and self directed story. I like skyrim for the exploration and discovery. I don't like Fable because it feels like it spreads itself too thin, but most of what you're bringing up is just what different people may or may not find fun. I'm not sure what you think the west has to do with any of this; that's over generalizing. End Response.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, you're playing the first one which is easily the worst of the series. Worst combat, worst pacing, worst characters. It did have the best villain though.

Zero Serenity said:
Why does the game feel like a visual novel with some shooty bits?
Because it kind of is?

There's a ton of talking. A lot of it is optional, but I wouldn't recommend skipping it. If you don't like dialogue then you're really not going to like the Mass Effect series.

Why do the shooty bits annoy me when I'm waiting for my ridicule to calm down (was playing a solider)?
They apparently thought that was how shooting worked. It goes away after you've leveled up a bit and they fixed it in the sequels. (Also, soldier is one of the more boring classes.)

Why can I count the gunfights I've had since the start of the game on one hand?
Presumably you're not that far in. I'm guessing you're on your first mission after the citadel. There's a ton more fighting later on, especially if you do the optional content.

That said, the combat/talking ratio is still way lower than most games.

Why does this vehicle handle like a Warthog from Halo?
That's an odd comparison. I always thought the Warthogs handled well.

I've never had a problem with the Mako's handling. However, the sections where you drive it are always boring.

What do people think is so good about it?
Well, I can't speak for anyone else but for me the main draw was the characters. I consider them the best cast I've ever encountered in a video game. They got me emotionally invested (go ahead, roll your eyes) to a degree that only a precious handful of games have ever managed.

The story is pretty good. Not all that substantial, but very well presented and a story's worth is in the telling.

I enjoy the combat, but only in the sequels. It was pretty bad in the first game.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Don't know how to say I'm not flamebaiting but here goes anyway. It seems that even you guys admit the first game doesn't live up to much of the whole game thing but rather is more for storytime. *Shakes head* I guess it's really not for me then.

Jan 13, 2012
Don't you see, all wRPG's are the same. Just like JRPG's, because each one revolves around turn based combat and moody protagonists.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Eh...Final Fantasy XII, a game I feel is vastly underrated, has no turn based combat and the moody protaganist is largely toned down...dispite Vaan still being pointless.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
I really enjoyed ME1 for the exact reasons you don't like it ^_^

I think ME2 was a step-back in a lot of ways too, but I'm pretty alone in that regard

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Oh don't get me wrong I don't think that all of them are shit. Fuck, anybody remember the old Might and Magic series? I like that.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You said you like The Witcher games? Check out CDProjekt RED's next title they're developing: Cyberpunk. I think that fits your science fiction requisite.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Dryk said:
I think ME2 was a step-back in a lot of ways too, but I'm pretty alone in that regard
No your not most people I speak to in RL who have played the series feel that way sure the sequels were more polished but were massively scaled back in ambition but then again almost all RPGs have scaled back in ambition because they want to be more mainstream and accessible.

I enjoyed Mass Effect but it is hugely overrated in the way only a big blockbuster series can be you should ignore all the hype and hate about it and just take it for what it is a fun series that couldnt deliver on its potential.

I personally think the first one is the best the others suffer from corridor syndrome (even more so I mean) which while not a problem in itself does take away from a supposedly huge setting oh and they lean even more into shooter territory which is not what I was after.

I wouldnt give up on western RPGs though there are some good ones out there particularly the older CRPGS which while usually heavily flawed (usually in boring as hell combat going from stupidly hard to stupidly easy once you reach a certain point/spell/weapon etc) have much more scope and ambition than the modern WRPGs (plus they are cheaper) although they are definitely an acquired taste.

TheLizardKing

May 4, 2012
I never really thought of Mass Effect as an RPG. Just a tps with rpg elements. But if any of them could be called an rpg, it would be the first one.

Jan 13, 2012
Zero Serenity said:
Eh...Final Fantasy XII, a game I feel is vastly underrated, has no turn based combat and the moody protaganist is largely toned down...dispite Vaan still being pointless.
Yes, as is Kingdom Hearts. I was just trying to be clever in my other post and you clearly didn't "c wat I did thar".

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Zero Serenity said:
Oh don't get me wrong I don't think that all of them are shit. Fuck, anybody remember the old Might and Magic series? I like that.
Oh fuck yes. M&M has always been great, although it looked like an ass.

Zero Serenity said:
That being said, is there a particularly great western-RPG out there?
Go for Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines. It is great and delivers greatly, although it's flawed (be sure to pick up the latest Unofficial Patch [http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php] to fix most things). Other than that, it's older stuff still - Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment. I'll toss in Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura because it's awesome (although it is somewhat close to Fallout). And if you liked M&M, maybe Neverwinter Nights will be very vaguely reminiscent of it. And I would even say Morrowind and Oblivion but you might want to add mods there to fine tune them the way you like. Especially true for Oblivion.

Zero Serenity said:
I like Japanese RPGs quite a bit but I can't figure out what's so special about Mass Effect or if anything made in the Western Hemisphere.
Well, I don't like (not "dislike") Japanese RPGs and I too can't figure the Mass Effect thing out. It's an all right game, I suppose, and definitely higher quality than a lot of others but it's not exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Woah, chill out brah.

OT: Mass Effect doesn't have the "go outside and shoot the wildlife" aspect because, while it was made in the west, it's navigational structure is based on JRPG fashion (i.e. can go to limited places when you want to do specific things), not WRPG fashion, despite the combat handling like a WRPG.

Also, Mass Effect 2 fixes most of the issues you've got a problem with it. If it helps I played 2 first and it didn't "spoil" the story per se.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Zero Serenity said:
Don't know how to say I'm not flamebaiting but here goes anyway. It seems that even you guys admit the first game doesn't live up to much of the whole game thing but rather is more for storytime. *Shakes head* I guess it's really not for me then.
Skyrim or possibly Dues Ex:HR may be what you are looking for. Although DE:HR has quite a bit of story parts too but the characters are a bit dry to boot. Skrim is probably your best bet as most RPGs are story centric. Even JRPGs. Really I don't think Skyrims story is bad either. Compared to Morrowind and Oblivion, it's freakin stellar.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I honestly can't agree more. I tried playing Mass Effect and I felt that I was thrown into a plot I don't care about and spending most of my time listening to people talking and sometimes responding. I can't believe that people praise Mass Effect and still complain about Final Fantasy and those cut-scenes. I'm not overly fond of Final Fantasy myself, but not because of the cut-scenes.

Also try Tales of Vesperia if you can get your hands on it. If you liked Tales of Symphonia Tales of Vesperia is an awesome step up from that.