Mass Effect virgin almost five years later

Batman

Feb 12, 2012
TheMightyAtrox said:
I am having the same experience, but I'm not as far in as 9 hours. I love a good story, I am cool with it being delivered in cut scenes and conversations, I like side quests. Everything is there on paper that should keep me going, but it's just not scratching me where I itch. I like how the combat sometimes has a habit of sneaking up on you, but I'm finding the combat kinda bland for the most part.
The combat will never pick up in ME1 but the story will, right after the Virmire mission (not spoiling anything).
To be honest I enjoyed the pacing of ME1. Very slow to build up. Once it does pick up everything that occurred in the past few hours suddenly fall into place like a good puzzle and the pacing of the story starts accelerating and doesn't quit till it reaches a climax at the end (I don't know how intense the revelations and everything leading from that will be to you since when I was playing it I had no idea what I was going to come up against or what would happen next).

It will be a good 20+ hours till you reach the point where everything becomes frantic however and you have to decide if it's worth waiting for.
The best time to play mass effect would be when you have no other games demanding your immediate attention and you can really sit down and enjoy the game over a good weekend.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Batman said:
TheMightyAtrox said:
I am having the same experience, but I'm not as far in as 9 hours. I love a good story, I am cool with it being delivered in cut scenes and conversations, I like side quests. Everything is there on paper that should keep me going, but it's just not scratching me where I itch. I like how the combat sometimes has a habit of sneaking up on you, but I'm finding the combat kinda bland for the most part.
The combat will never pick up in ME1 but the story will, right after the Virmire mission (not spoiling anything).
To be honest I enjoyed the pacing of ME1. Very slow to build up. Once it does pick up everything that occurred in the past few hours suddenly fall into place like a good puzzle and the pacing of the story starts accelerating and doesn't quit till it reaches a climax at the end (I don't know how intense the revelations and everything leading from that will be to you since when I was playing it I had no idea what I was going to come up against or what would happen next).

It will be a good 20+ hours till you reach the point where everything becomes frantic however and you have to decide if it's worth waiting for.
The best time to play mass effect would be when you have no other games demanding your immediate attention and you can really sit down and enjoy the game over a good weekend.
I keep trying to get that done. One of my friends keeps telling me the ME seres is his favorite video game series ever, so I'm trying not to be so quick to write it off. Unfortunately, I have so many uplayed games on my shelf, I have no idea when I have no others wanting attention. I will get to it.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Is that what we call Bioware fans nowadays?

I like the topic title.

For good CRPGs that are also not JRPGs, play VTM Bloodlines with the latest fan patches. Still a bad shooter/action game, but much better in the other departments.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
22 Hours In: I'm finding myself having fun "wasting time". I've explored most of the Milky Way and still hate the Mako, but have beefed myself up to a comfortable level 36 while barely touching the story missions. I don't find the characters engaging at all and I specifically wanna punch Ashley in the face. Shepard I'm enjoying a lot because of the range of options for responding to things. He feels fsr less binary and the lack of a binary good/evil meter and instead a meter for each does feel fun and fresh.

The time wasting does feel rather bland but tolerable. The problem I have is why in hell surveying minerals requires a simon says like game. (I suppose you could call them quick-time events) I'm not a fan of the thresher maws since it's a fight entirely in the Mako. It would be fine if you could lock onto the beast, but fights seem like such a delay on the fun bits. I did, somehow, pick up the ability to buy Specter gear which makes me think I'm a bit overpowered since the gunfights when from annoying to flying by faster than I can tell.

I have settled into Tali and Garrus as my team as it's basically Assault, Defense and Sniper with the technology bits for show. Again, as I said before, it does make fights go by rather quickly.

I do think it's odd that I'm feeling the "it gets better later" vibe, considering FFXIII had that complaint, but this one seems to skirt by.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Thoughtful_Salt said:
hard science fiction
Doesn't it feature FTL, telekinesis, and "embrace eternity"?
They are all explained and make sense though.(well except for embrace eternity but what ever.
OT: This isn't your kind of game. I like it all though, but the story and characters are the best part. If you want to just travel around and make your own fun may I suggest The Elder Scrolls series or Warband.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
-Sees thread about Mass Effect virginity
-Hits ctrl+F
-types "pop your heat sink"
-no results

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
ME2 was the most well-rounded (and had the best characters). ME3 was amazing and is probably my favorite of the three games, but mostly because the gameplay FINALLY became legitimately good, and it was just an overall very emotional game. It really is unfortunate that the last ten minutes where shite.

But yeah, imo while the original Mass Effect was a good game, you had to slog through a lot of annoying crap. The gameplay was boring, the fucking inventory system made me want to shoot myself, and don't even get me started on the vehicle sections. The characters were okay, but I didn't care for them (in general) half as much as I did for those in ME2 (and 3 by extension). I don't get why most Escapists think it's the best in the trilogy, usually they always talk about Lovecraft blahblahblah. I mean yeah, the plot was better structured in the original ME, I'll give it that. I came into the series knowing jack-all, and it was super fun/exciting figuring out everything (oh man, was I blown away when the main villain was revealed [no, not Saren]).

Also, just a counter (cuz I am honestly curious) why do YOU like Tales of Symphonia. In fact, I'm scratching my head as to how you can enjoy ToS and hate Mass Effect. I despise Tales of Symphonia. All the characters are little bitches that I want to punt across a football field.
I mean, no offense, if you like it more power to you, I just honestly do not get the game at all. I found the story incredibly hamfisted, the characters (as I mentioned) were ridiculously annoying, the writing was crap even by video game standards, while the gameplay was the only (and I mean only) slightly redeeming feature. Honestly, I find it almost comedic that you enjoyed that game while disliking Mass Effect. But of course, this all boils down different strokes or whatever.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mick Golden Blood said:
Zhukov said:
Well, you're playing the first one which is easily the worst of the series. Worst combat, worst pacing, worst characters. It did have the best villain though.

What did you just say?
Fine, I'll bite.

At least you're being good humoured about it.

I am sorry, I guess you think this is much better gameplay and fun...

It beats driving the bouncemobile across twenty boring, interchangable, featureless palette-swapped mountain ranges so I can raid the exact same base/cave/ship for the sixth time.

Don't get me wrong, planet scanning was a waste of time that sucked seven flavours of arse, but at least I could get it over and done with early then never look at it again.

However, I was referring to the combat. It was a boring chore in ME1, decent if somewhat bland in ME2, and pretty darn fun in ME3.

And that this little shit

Is a great character.
Oh please. If you can find a quote of me saying that the glowing space child is a great character then I will give you my firstborn.

Although he could probably still give Kaiden and ME1-era Tali a run for their money.

Yeah, different strokes for different folks, but saying something is worse when it is so obviously and monumentally better in just about every way that actually matters to anyone is a sign of insanity, sir. :D
What's stopping me from saying the exact same thing to you?

That's the thing with arbitrary statements on subjective matters. They're meaningless and anyone can make them.

p.s. You kind of contradicted yourself.

worst characters =/= for me the main draw was the characters. xD
"Worst characters" in the series, not worst characters ever.

In ME1:
Wrex was awesome.
Liara, Garrus and Ashley were pretty good.
Kaiden and Tali were crap.
The villain was good. (No, not Saren, he sucked. The proper villain.)

In ME2 and ME3:
Mordin, Legion, Wrex, Liara (LotSB), Jack, Samara, and Garrus were awesome.
Kasumi, Grunt, Thane, Miranda, The Illusive Man, James, Javik, Ashley and Tali were pretty good.
Zaeed and Jacob were crap.
The villains were meh.

Therefore, I arbitrarily declare ME1 to have the worst cast of characters in the series.

Batman

Feb 12, 2012
Zhukov said:
It beats driving the bouncemobile across twenty boring, interchangable, featureless palette-swapped mountain ranges so I can raid the exact same base/cave/ship for the sixth time.
I Don't know about you but in my first playthrough I barely gave the side missions and exploration a sideways glance and just barrelled through the main quest. It was only after I fell in love with the ME universe that I decided to explore every inch of it available to me. Moments where you land on a twilight planet with a binary star system and running across ancient fossilised remains of giant creatures was quite awe inspiring, to me anyway.

Moments like these :

and vistas like these:

Are much more enjoyable to me than squinting at a bunch of squiggly lines. As I said before maybe it's just because I enjoy a well crafted universe.

Zhukov said:
Saren was an awesome villain and hit every nail in the head as to what an anti-Shepard would be. Charismatic, driven, goal oriented, ruthless, wanted the best for his people and the galaxy even though his judgement was flawed. I don't see how Saren could be a lame villain... I mean look at how bad Kai Leng was... the big bad at the end didn't seem like a villain to me. More like a nightmare or an unstoppable force like gravity.

Basically Saren = a villian I can respect, disagree but respect all the same.
Illusive man = same as Saren
Kai Leng = didn't want anything more than to tear the asshole in half for what he did to Thane
Sovvy = Crap my pants and hope that Garrus don't notice

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Batman said:
Zhukov said:
I Don't know about you but in my first playthrough I barely gave the side missions and exploration a sideways glance and just barrelled through the main quest. It was only after I fell in love with the ME universe that I decided to explore every inch of it available to me. Moments where you land on a twilight planet with a binary star system and running across ancient fossilised remains of giant creatures was quite awe inspiring, to me anyway.

Moments like these :

[images snipped]

Are much more enjoyable to me than squinting at a bunch of squiggly lines. As I said before maybe it's just because I enjoy a well crafted universe.
I don't consider a bunch of skyboxes and crudely modeled maps to be a sign of a well crafted universe. I consider it to be lazy filler material.

Yes, they're rather pretty if you take the screenshot at the right place and don't look too closely at the featureless terrain, but I found exploring them to be dreadfully dull. I got more enjoyment out of looking at those pictures that you posted just now than I did out of all of ME1's vaunted "exploration" elements.

Batman said:
Zhukov said:
Saren was an awesome villain and hit every nail in the head as to what an anti-Shepard would be. Charismatic, driven, goal oriented, ruthless, wanted the best for his people and the galaxy even though his judgement was flawed. I don't see how Saren could be a lame villain... I mean look at how bad Kai Leng was... the big bad at the end didn't seem like a villain to me. More like a nightmare or an unstoppable force like gravity.
Saren was conceptually good. I like the idea of a villain who saw what we were up against and decided that collaboration was preferable to extinction.

However, the execution was lacking. He was absent for almost the entire game. Also, his dialogue was so painfully corny [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrgNgnkvrA0] that I couldn't take him seriously in the slightest.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Zero Serenity said:
22 Hours In: I'm finding myself having fun "wasting time". I've explored most of the Milky Way and still hate the Mako, but have beefed myself up to a comfortable level 36 while barely touching the story missions. I don't find the characters engaging at all and I specifically wanna punch Ashley in the face. Shepard I'm enjoying a lot because of the range of options for responding to things. He feels fsr less binary and the lack of a binary good/evil meter and instead a meter for each does feel fun and fresh.
Your probably doing this the right way IMO. The story missions are more interesting and more atmospheric, but doing the sidequests first lets you unlock all your dialogue options and stuff, meaning you don't see an option that you'd really rather take in a conversation, but not be allowed to as you haven't invested enough into being Captain America or Dirty Harry.
And yeah, the characters in ME1 aren't too great [Saren is alright, Wrex is cool, but the rest are pretty bleh], but in ME2 that picks up a ton.
If you like the dialogue options, if/when you ever get to ME3 you'll find it highly disappointing, as most have been removed.

The time wasting does feel rather bland but tolerable. The problem I have is why in hell surveying minerals requires a simon says like game. (I suppose you could call them quick-time events)
Yeah, this doesn't get fixed all through the series. ME2 has the crappy planet scanning, and ME3 has fly around Reaper sirens cops and robbers style thing. Kinda crap, but it fills in the time when you don't feel like doing anything.

I'm not a fan of the thresher maws since it's a fight entirely in the Mako. It would be fine if you could lock onto the beast, but fights seem like such a delay on the fun bits.
You can get out of the Mako and fight it on foot. It just takes a lot longer to kill. So long as you keep moving, and don't get too close, you're fine. Plus you get more XP for killing it on foot, as with any enemy.

I did, somehow, pick up the ability to buy Specter gear which makes me think I'm a bit overpowered since the gunfights when from annoying to flying by faster than I can tell.
You unlock that when you become a spectre from memory, and you can get two sets: 1 from the C-Sec armoury, 1 from the Alliance Requisitions officer. Personally I'd wait a little before buying them: The level of the items you can buy changes as you level, so if you get to a higher level before buying them, you can get really good weapons, whilst if you buy them early you drop potentially the best weapons in the game down to marginally the best, if that compared to some other things.
As for combat, in ME1 its piss easy. Melee enemies are a bit of a bi***, thanks to their near 1 hit kill attacks, as are enemy biotics [Both of which you'll face en mass in the main mission set], but otherwise its pretty meh. Oh, and Krogan can be evil if you don't realise they get back up after you kill them and charge you. Try turning up the difficulty if you're finding it too easy though. Might help.

I have settled into Tali and Garrus as my team as it's basically Assault, Defense and Sniper with the technology bits for show. Again, as I said before, it does make fights go by rather quickly.
Hehehe, there are some truly evil combos you can do in ME1. I personally took Wrex over Garrus for the Biotics, but Kaiden and Liara together worked well - just disable everything en mass by lifting it, throwing it, stasising it or anything else.

I do think it's odd that I'm feeling the "it gets better later" vibe, considering FFXIII had that complaint, but this one seems to skirt by.
Yeah, its kinda odd like that. Every time I start a new playthrough "Ok, I am not wasting so much time with the sidequests this time, just a story run, then I'm done. I'm sick of these samey rooms and boring levels".
/me ends up doing every sidequest in the game before starting Feros or Noveria [Not actually possible, as some quests are unlocked after doing each, but as many as you can do].
Whelp, there goes that plan.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Zero Serenity said:
So here's an odd proposition. I like RPGs, but I have never played Mass Effect before yesterday, so I wanted to give it a shot. I like Knights of the Old Republic and figure this couldn't be so bad but I'm nine hours in and have decided that this venture is not worth my time. Why does the game feel like a visual novel with some shooty bits? Why do the shooty bits annoy me when I'm waiting for my ridicule to calm down (was playing a solider)? Why can I count the gunfights I've had since the start of the game on one hand? Why does this vehicle handle like a Warthog from Halo? I'm honestly asking for answers to this game.

What do people think is so good about it?

Is it the story? Because if it is I'd rather just read the synopsis and run off to play something else. I'm not saying that a constant run around of shooting needs to be going on (I did mention Halo, but I don't think those games are particularly great) but all I felt I was doing was running around doing errands while trying to read a novel. Even Fallout (3 and NV, I haven't played the others) has the mechanic of "if you're bored, go outside and shoot the wildlife" whereas in Mass Effect I can't seem to do that. I'm having a revival of old games in my library and honestly if I'd rather play Drakengard than this I think something went wrong here.

That being said, is there a particularly great western-RPG out there? I mean, I have played Fable, Mass Effect and Fallout and none of them have frosted my pants. Is Skyrim really all it's cracked up to be? (I don't really wanna play in first person) Is there any hope for something I might like? I like Japanese RPGs quite a bit (Tales of Syphonia, Xenosaga I & III, Final Fantasy games) but I can't figure out what's so special about Mass Effect or if anything made in the Western Hemisphere.

Before somebody mentions The Witcher, I happen to love those games so no worries.
Horses for courses. Don't worry about not liking it, it's just how you are. I found the first ME to be a bit action light. If that's the issue, try two and three.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Okay, about 30 hours and I'm done with the game as much as I wanna be. One word? Dissapointing. Two? Dissapointingly Short. When I say that I mean the story is dissapointingly short. I realize now that all the sidequesting stuff is WAY more substantial than the story of the main game, which is dissapointing. Again, I didn't find the characters other than my own all that engaging or interesting, I sent Ashley to die (YES!) and still think there was something about the game that could have been better.

DustyDrB said:
-Sees thread about Mass Effect virginity
-Hits ctrl+F
-types "pop your heat sink"
-no results
I get to pop heatsinks in the next game from what I'm being told. *Drumset*

Cheery Lunatic said:
Also, just a counter (cuz I am honestly curious) why do YOU like Tales of Symphonia. In fact, I'm scratching my head as to how you can enjoy ToS and hate Mass Effect. I despise Tales of Symphonia. All the characters are little bitches that I want to punt across a football field.
I mean, no offense, if you like it more power to you, I just honestly do not get the game at all. I found the story incredibly hamfisted, the characters (as I mentioned) were ridiculously annoying, the writing was crap even by video game standards, while the gameplay was the only (and I mean only) slightly redeeming feature. Honestly, I find it almost comedic that you enjoyed that game while disliking Mass Effect. But of course, this all boils down different strokes or whatever.
ToS had good combat, a story that kept me guessing (especially after Kratos makes his move) and replayability just for the story bits. The annoying characters were probably more tolerable at a different age (I was 16ish then, I'm 25 as of last Monday, 6/11/12). But the major feature is that the main story took up most (90% maybe) of the game and the side quests were only a dozen or so whereas in Mass Effect it seems to be reversed.

Zhukov said:
This.

Batman said:
Zhukov said:

Moments like these : *Snip*
These look like they've been heavily put under the ray of color correction and therefore look like ass. But honestly the only interesting landscape was Luna. That was interesting.

So, if you guys feel like staying with me through this little adventure, I'm going to start playing ME2 next Monday. Cheers.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I adore the characterization.

I also feel that the FemShep/Liara is one of the most realistic homosexual romantic portrayals I have ever seen in any media. The Male Shep/Cortez I hear is okay, but I'd approve more if it was something they allowed in the first game.
Understandably, they do suffer from a certain trope [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiscountLesbians]. But I don't care if Liara doesn't see herself as a "woman". Don't care. I love her so much T_T

I could make a monstrous post about this but you can read other replies regarding what people liked and I'll probably mostly agree with those.

And to reiterate a theme of most of my today's posts: Most of the female cast feel like actual females.
Ashley is a ***** and I don't like her - BUT THAT'S OKAY. At least she complex, for once.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Zhukov said:
Well, you're playing the first one which is easily the worst of the series. Worst combat, worst pacing, worst characters. It did have the best villain though.
Agree to disagree? The first one is by far my favorite. Best villain, best story elements (the story is predictable, but well-written and interesting), in my opinion the most enjoyable combat despite it being much less responsive. I know the combat wasn't as good, mechanically, but to me it just felt better. It was very 'RPG', whereas ME2 and ME3 combat feels a lot more like a Gears of War clone.

Me3 was great, but the ending sort of left a sour aftertaste. ME3 is the only one I haven't gone back to play again immediately after finishing it.

Sep 14, 2009
Zero Serenity said:
So here's an odd proposition. I like RPGs, but I have never played Mass Effect before yesterday, so I wanted to give it a shot. I like Knights of the Old Republic and figure this couldn't be so bad but I'm nine hours in and have decided that this venture is not worth my time. Why does the game feel like a visual novel with some shooty bits? Why do the shooty bits annoy me when I'm waiting for my ridicule to calm down (was playing a solider)? Why can I count the gunfights I've had since the start of the game on one hand? Why does this vehicle handle like a Warthog from Halo? I'm honestly asking for answers to this game.

What do people think is so good about it?

Is it the story? Because if it is I'd rather just read the synopsis and run off to play something else. I'm not saying that a constant run around of shooting needs to be going on (I did mention Halo, but I don't think those games are particularly great) but all I felt I was doing was running around doing errands while trying to read a novel. Even Fallout (3 and NV, I haven't played the others) has the mechanic of "if you're bored, go outside and shoot the wildlife" whereas in Mass Effect I can't seem to do that. I'm having a revival of old games in my library and honestly if I'd rather play Drakengard than this I think something went wrong here.

That being said, is there a particularly great western-RPG out there? I mean, I have played Fable, Mass Effect and Fallout and none of them have frosted my pants. Is Skyrim really all it's cracked up to be? (I don't really wanna play in first person) Is there any hope for something I might like? I like Japanese RPGs quite a bit (Tales of Syphonia, Xenosaga I & III, Final Fantasy games) but I can't figure out what's so special about Mass Effect or if anything made in the Western Hemisphere.

Before somebody mentions The Witcher, I happen to love those games so no worries.
i will admit, although I love the first two mass effects, the first game took me a try or two to get into it, it took a slightly different approach and once I pushed through and became a spectre, I finally got a grasp on it and dove right in (essentially to getting off taris and past dantooine to compare to KOTOR since you've played it)

the combat plays more like an rpg than it does a shooter, which is probably why you are getting a bit annoyed with it (that and it isn't as polished as it should be, and it turns way more into a shooter in ME 2 and 3)

if you are having trouble getting into it, maybe recommend watching a "let's play" of it on youtube? honestly the characters and story really gripped at me, way more than any other bioware product before, so if you enjoy those, i would suggest at least watching it (the ending half hour or so is really good too! great cutscenes and such)

Sep 14, 2009
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Zhukov said:
Agree to disagree? The first one is by far my favorite. Best villain, best story elements (the story is predictable, but well-written and interesting), in my opinion the most enjoyable combat despite it being much less responsive. I know the combat wasn't as good, mechanically, but to me it just felt better. It was very 'RPG', whereas ME2 and ME3 combat feels a lot more like a Gears of War clone.

Me3 was great, but the ending sort of left a sour aftertaste. ME3 is the only one I haven't gone back to play again immediately after finishing it.
agreed on all of this, I would be suffice to say I think I enjoyed me1's ending the best even, the cutscenes were superb and I think it really got a hold of me that I WANTED to stop saren more than anything, while in me2 it was more a "wooh...gotta kill harbingers..andross..thingy..err..robot?"

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Personally I like Mass Effect for the story but the gameplay of the first game drove me up the wall. I like the gameplay in the second two much better.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
So...welcome back to the now bloody panties of my Mass Effect gaming experience. 8 Hours in to Mass Effect 2 and I really am noticing the differences so heavily that I'm not sure I preffer this one to the original yet. First impressions are rather silly when you get blown up and revived with cybernetics and are allowed to even pick a new class. But once I got past the first alarmingly generic shooting gallery and got back into the Citadel something hit me in the face. This "world" doesn't feel so dead anymore. Stuff's going on outside, people are having actual conversations and there does seem to be a sense of people are doing things to do things instead of just being generic NPCs. Picked up some quests, got some cash, some EXP and upgrades and I do apreciate the change from having to buy new gear to just upgrading what you have.

But the game does seem to be shying away more from the RPG elements of putting points into skills and more into the whole shooting thing. Management of equipment somehow got worse (since statistics for guns are invisible and I avoid online guides) but the changes to upgrades is kinda nice especially since you can manage everyone instead of having to do individual persons. I really apreciate the fact that my sniper rifle doesn't bob around like a drunkard doing a pole dance, but having it perfectly stable does smack of cheating a bit. I hate to make it sound like I'm debasing myself for Halo, but I really wish more games had a two-tiered alarm system for damage taken (slightly annoying for half damage, really annoying for shield gone) since I seem to have trouble focusing on my health bar when I'm blasting things. The change from just heat to being able to eject a sink is welcome because the enemies seem to be in greater quantity and strength, so that whole thing balances out.

Fortunately for the game, the writing seems to be getting much better and I'm tending to care more about the events and characters. I've met both of my former squadmates (Garrus and Tali if you're just joining us and if you are, SHAME ON YOU!) and do enjoy the bits of what happened to them. It does make the whole importing of a save thing come alive and this game seems like a more proper sequel than just a add-on knock-off.

The Planet Scanning mechanic for resources sounds good on paper, but the fact that you have to buy Helium-3 to get around while the Mass Relays cost nothing just scream "we have no idea what we're doing". I don't mind buying the probes, but when flying from a fuel station to any place and back is 500 units it really feels restricting.

So, sofar I like the shooting and some of the story elements a lot more, but I can't quite say this game is better and I think it lies somewhere in the much smaller ammount of RPG customization options.

Oh. I did have to laugh at the line "Remember when we just opened locks with Omni-Gel?" because the hacking minigames are still rather silly, but they could have been much worse.