Mass Effect Was Inspired by Final Fantasy (The Movie)

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I have the dubious honor of being one of the 23 people who actually watched that movie. It wasn't that bad, and its CGI is on par with today's best despite its age. The story was a little clunky, but retained major RPG tropes we love (particularly the fact that the story takes place at the end of a giant fetch quest).

As for visual design, ME being based on FF:SW is definitely not a bad mark on my board.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Oh I LOVED that movie. The level of detail was mind-boggling at the time, and I was young so I didn't pay attention to the story anyway.... It just looked so pwetty.

believer258 said:
drakythe said:
I swear I'm one of maybe 10 people on the planet who actually enjoy(ed) that film. I actually still own it. Yes it is cliched, no there is no FF magic. But darn it, its fun and I like it.
Hey man! I liked that movie. It came out about the time that Titan A.E. did. Unfortunately, both were flops. Both were flimsy as movies, but both were fun to watch partly for their awesome animations and partly because they were just plain fun great movies.

EDIT: Also, I never really thought about it but I can see some bits of the influence.
Count me in too, man. I loved Titan A.E. I honestly think that these two movies, were what turned me into a hardcore sci-fi nut. Without 'em I could've been a DnD kid, for all I know....or maybe even "interested-in-sports"?

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
believer258 said:
drakythe said:
I swear I'm one of maybe 10 people on the planet who actually enjoy(ed) that film. I actually still own it. Yes it is cliched, no there is no FF magic. But darn it, its fun and I like it.
Hey man! I liked that movie. It came out about the time that Titan A.E. did. Unfortunately, both were flops. Both were flimsy as movies, but both were fun to watch partly for their awesome animations and partly because they were just plain fun great movies.

EDIT: Also, I never really thought about it but I can see some bits of the influence.
Not to mention Titan A.E. has a pretty sweet soundtrack (I also own that movie, 2 copies actually, was lucky enough to marry a fellow Nerd and she had her own copy as well)

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
And that probably means that I should look the movie up to watch it then huh.

cainx10a said:
Make that 11. I felt a little sad inside when the comic relief pilot dude died. :(
Wait...what? Noooooo! Why must the pilot always die in these movies!

Oh shit. Joker! NOOOOO.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Is that where all the blue lense flare comes from too?

It ain't Mass Effect without the lense flare.

I thought the movie was pretty good. The biggest flaw was calling it Final Fantasy. That set up all kinds of unfathomable hype.

Probably why it flopped so badly.
Yeah honestly I really enjoyed the movie

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I always found Mass Effect's fictional universe to be more reminiscent of Babylon 5 with all the alien political turmoil, strong human lead to save all others, ancient evil races etc.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
GrizzlerBorno said:
I loved Titan A.E. I honestly think that these two movies, were what turned me into a hardcore sci-fi nut. Without 'em I could've been a DnD kid, for all I know....or maybe even "interested-in-sports"?
Ah, I remember watching Titan AE and FF:SW as a kid with my cousins and being blown away. Good times...

tycho0042

Jan 27, 2010
Whaddya know? Some good DID come from that horrible movie. Will wonders never cease? lol

nyx15

Aug 13, 2008
FelixG said:
I loved the movie, probably the only good FF thing I have ever seen. I have to say, it likely would have done MUCH better if they hadn't put the FF name on it.

EDIT:
Jumwa said:
Keava said:
You know. Actually the FF movie was one of few things about FF franchise i enjoyed.
Same. It was like a decent Final Fantasy title that stopped pretending it was a video game and got rid of the few arbitrary button presses it still clings to.
Hah, well put!
I know this probably get some hate, but yeah FF:SW was a good movie, better if it weren't an FF title at all... and I always state that the same could be said for super mario bros. ( another film I love)
if you haven't seen either of the movies... people will tell you to avoid mario, but don't listen, watch it, it's a fun movie that just so happens to be about 2 plumbers called mario and luigi

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
drakythe said:
I own a Special Edition DVD. Never really saw anything bad about it, and tend to think that people simply had unrealistic expectations.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I liked the film, and in parts it was unbelievably pretty. The voice acting was good too. I'm not too sure why it failed so massively, other than the ludicrous amount of money spent on it.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I actually really liked spirits within I also liked advent children never really understood why it flopped.

cainx10a said:
drakythe said:
Make that 11. I felt a little sad inside when the comic relief pilot dude died. :(
we are not alone we exist also make it 12

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
I wish Enix hadn't merged with Square. They ruined Final Fantasy right around the time that merger was made.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
I just watched The Spirits Within yesterday night, and I loved it. Needed more backstory maybe, but it was fun and bizarre. Just like what a Final Fantasy movie should be: Makes no sense, plenty of explosions, impractical outfits and surrealist monsters. Good times all around.