Mass Effect: Where does the series go now sequel-wise?

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
nathan-dts said:
Zaik said:
Considering that the best case scenario seems to be(i thought?) that Shepard destroyed everything electronic, including the mass relays, i'm not really sure where you can go now unless it was supposed to be a prequel set on one of the notable events like the first contact war, rachni war, krogan rebellions, etc.
The indoctrination theory is very solid. I think it's safe to assume that Mass Effect 3 ended just before getting to the Citadel teleporter. The endings in regards to all the electronics being fried didn't happen given the ending. That said I still feel that there can't be a threat worse than the reapers and continuing forward chronologically would be a mistake.

Previous wars do seem most likely, but they would be way too boring; Humans fighting Turians, Krogan fighting Rachni, Salarians and Turians fighting Krogan. Way too boring. The main reason Mass Effect 1 through 3 were so good was the multi-species teams you established which you don't really get early in the lore.

Personally, I'd like them to kill the series, any and all anticipation for more Mass Effect was killed by the ending.
Until their "clarification" finally comes out, I don't really think anything regarding the ending is solid.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Quijiboh said:
He was being indoctrinated, so it's safe to say that didn't actually happen.

OT: If they had to continue I, personally, would be more interested in seeing a post-war Galaxy, although you face the issue then of needing something more imposing than the Reapers, and since they're already the Biggest of the Big, that'd be pretty difficult.

Having said that, it could allow for a more interesting character-piece and allow you to play more with actually becoming the bad-guy, instead of the current system of being a bad good-guy or a nice good-guy.

I would really like to see a highly dynamic, one-part story. Although right now I'm unsure if BioWare are unable to do that sort of thing or incapable - these days they look more like they're catching up with everyone else instead of leading the way.

If not, the war with the Turians would make a nice contrast. I'd rather they do something new though. As in, not Mass Effect.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Odd that it's a question of "what will the next one be," and not "will there be another?"

I don't like this fervor for sequels many people have.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
If we HAVE to have a sequel to the Mass Effect series, I'd prefer to see something taking place during the game's time frame, if that makes any sense...

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
It'd have to be pre-Shepard for sure. They could do something interesting with the First Contact wars and the Krogan rebellions. There is potential still, the series is not totally dead. I just hope they don't take this as an excuse for more lazy writing...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Clearing the Eye said:
Odd that it's a question of "what will the next one be," and not "will there be another?"

They've already said there's plenty more to do with the universe (which is true, in fairness - it has as much scope for an Expanded Universe as Star Wars did/does), but yeah, personally I'd rather have something completely fresh again.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Clearing the Eye said:

It's because the larger companies are too cautious about new IP's and during the inevitable Christmas release glut people go for the tried and tested rather then something new.

Amaror said:
I think it will be like the fourth pirates of the caribean movie.
There will be a sequel, but i just don't care.
Same here... wait that cash-grab sequel has already been released?

Maniac2807

Mar 20, 2012
I'd like to see it set in the semi-distant future, with the plot covering the scrapped dark matter plot that was hinted at during ME2 and scrapped for 3. A prequel would be nice, but i fear it would go the way of the star wars prequels. There is already too much established lore around the events, so besides the fact that we already know the outcomes, it also restricts what can be included without retcons.

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
Im guessing either

Prequel
RTS
Space Sim (god I wish this would happen)
GTA Style game with you as a C-sec office on citadel......

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I played through the entire first two games, but couldn't play 3 because it made me barf buckets' worth out of the pure stupidity. So, prequel-time.

Sequels: God no. Prequels: Kaching (and for actual good reasons, Bioware *Cough* ME3 *Cough*). There's quite alot of good lore that the prequels could use, definetely.

Ofcourse, going *completely* back's an option, too. What about a Dragon Age: Origins-style thing. You can choose your Race, Gender, chosen skills, main skills, ect, but keep the Mass Effect dialouge and combat. Mix in some good writing,(which I know Bioware now urinates) an open-ended plot, fix some of the combat-issues, and make up a new backstories with lore to connect it with its chronological sequels. There, Bioware, you have a game, one that will be much better than ME3. I expect 15% of the profit.

felbot

May 11, 2011
well they shouldn't continue it but its ea so they're gonna do it anyway.
they could do prequels or they could do like ultima 4 and have no villain and just let you go around the universe trying to become a spectre.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Random berk said:
Goofguy said:
I would rather see a spin-off set in the ME universe than a sequel.

I've mentioned this already but maybe a FPS where you play as a merc for the Blue Suns or Eclipse, doing missions primarily out in the Terminus Systems but with forays in to other systems. No cover based shooting, just you and your merc squad going up against other mercs, C-Sec, private security, whatever. It could take place during Shepard's two year absence between ME and ME2 that way, no one's worried about the Geth anymore or about the Collectors and Reapers yet.
That sounds disturbingly like Call of Duty in Space.

No, if any new games are to be even remotely related to Mass Effect then they'd have to be based on either the memorable characters of the series, or the major events like the Morning war, or the Krogan rebellions, etc. Also, I wouldn't mind playing a game with some bit of stealth in it, with Thane as the protagonist. Some of the others like Garrus, Wrex or even Samara also have backstories that could make a decent game, maybe.
Never thought of it that way but no, my idea was most certainly not based on CoD. I haven't played any CoD games since their first WWII based ones so I can't say my choice was inspired by that.

I was drawing inspiration more so from Star Wars and that seedier, ground level side of Coruscant involving bounty hunters and other shady characters. Not everything in the ME universe is as noble or grand as Shepard's adventure, I want to see what the everyman with a gun is forced to do to make a living.

I'm going to have to disagree with your view on the direction of the next ME game. I disagree with you in the sense that I don't want to see Shepard's previous squadmates as major characters in any subsequent games. Cameos would be welcome but in my opinion, their stories ended with Shepard's (not necessarily in the same, final way). Furthermore, I'd rather have those past major events left just there, in the past. Part of what makes them so memorable for me is that we only know what we're told through codex entries and conversations; I don't want the mystique of those events to be ruined by a game that doesn't do them justice based on our own previous perceptions of how they transpired.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
I don't really think any sequels or prequels are necessary. They already told the story they wanted to tell, and there is no point forcing them to write more than that. Also, i saw the ending for mass effect 3, and maybe i just got the one good ending or something but it was no where near as bad as people say it is. Maybe it is just because the ending was hyped as revolutionary, but i kinda thought we stopped listening to that kind of hype after Fable.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
You know what I'd absolutely love to see?

Anderson's fight on Earth during the Reaper occupation!

Say what you want about ME3 but the sections of Earth, both leaving and returning were absolutely brilliant.

I want more of that. That feeling of desperation, fighting against insurmountable odds and holding out for a small uncertain hope.

I want to hear Anderson's story during those months on Earth.

I imagine an open world survival shooter where you play as a local hero of the resistance working closely with Anderson. Evading the Reaper forces unless you can ambush them, locating supplies, finding other survivors willing to fight etc.

A guy can dream...

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
They should not further the franchise anymore. Supersaturation of a brand name in gaming is very off-pissing. They made a nice tale, albeit a terribad ending, so there.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Well they can't do much with a sequel since the shitty ending, so maybe a prequel about the first contact war with the Turians maybe?

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
irmasterlol said:
You know what I say? Let it end. Everyone will remember it so much more fondly if they stop it before it shits all over itself and dies. They told the story they wanted to tell. After this, I would accuse any Mass effect games of being a cash grab.
Yeah, I'm all for this. There's a time when you just gotta say enough is enough and move on. Now that Mass Effect 3 is out, this is that time.

Now it's time to make a new IP with so much potential to screw up and exploit. >_<

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Either EA will force it into a MMORPG or they don't dare touch the franchise anymore for how much money the revised ending cost them.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
They shouldn't release any more Mass Effect games. The trilogy has run its course, the story has been concluded (admittedly terribly). The end. It's over. There is absolutely no need for anything more.

Of course, given the sheer financial success of the franchise, this won't be allowed to happen.

It really saddens me when series (games, TV series, movies, pretty much anything you care to mention) get run into the ground after they've run their course. I hate to see fantastic, self-contained stories artificially elongated so someone can milk every last penny out of it.

Entertainment producers: if you want to extend something's lifespan, by all means bring out new merch, maybe extended or anniversary editions/boxsets, but please don't kill your franchise with increasingly unnecessary sequels, prequels or spin-offs. Not even if the fans beg you to. In fact, especially not if the fans beg you to.

I adore Firefly, and I think it's tragic that it was cancelled. But honestly? I'll take what we have over a disappointing, tired tenth season where everyone involved has stopped caring and has forgotten what makes it great in the first place.