Mass Effect: Where does the series go now sequel-wise?

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Personally, I would like them to leave it for now. They told Shepard's story and gave it a conclusion, and even though the end was bad, it pretty much made it so it could not have a direct sequel, and I am fine with that. It had a good run, and it is time to let it end and to let some new series be made.

SweetLiquidSnake

Jan 20, 2011
Well seeing how halo did a prequel along with a nameless soldier game, there is always that option. They are doing another supposed trilogy with halo 4 and beyond but at this point they should've just let it die. Gears loves ripping off halo's ideas and is doing similar stuff with "Judgement".

They should let ME end with whatever scraps of dignity it has left, and they can't really do a prequel since existing decisions and save files would have no effect, and no one is gonna play a prequel then replay the main trilogy.

A somewhat-canon game that could be cool is having all the fleets and races cut off from their home planets and stuck on Earth, and then have a bitter war break out over resources. The game would have no space travel due to the premise, and previous decisions would play in and any unknown betrayals like genophage sabotage could be revealed, but the main objective is to rebuild a relay system and try to get everyone home.

But if they don't just bite the bullet like they should and take a ODST/Reach path we may very well be seeing "Mass Effect: Nameless Alliance Jackass" hitting shelves in 2013.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
distortedreality said:
I'd be doing prequels, since there's an absolute shit ton of great lore there. I wouldn't even think of doing anything post ME3 for at least a few years.
Exactly. I would do (and hope for) a "Relay 314 Incident" story, maybe told in two parts through a turian character and a human character. The Krogan Rebellions are also excellent mining territory, although that piece of history also threatened the end of galactic civilization by a seemingly unstoppable enemy (same with the rachni wars) so a little too similar for an immediate new project. I really want to play and see and learn more about the other species.

I'm not sure that the quarian's exile would work because it would likely end with them forming the flotilla and that's just not a satisfying place to end.

Grivahri

Mar 26, 2012
TheLizardKing said:
Mass Effect: The Prequel Trilogy. We all know how this turns out.

They couldn't do any sequels because they destroyed pretty much everything with their lazy writing.
Imagine this in George Lucas voice.

"We know that everyone want to know the story about how the reapers became evil right? So we will create a new trilogy where Harbinger was initially human then his mom died and he became so sad and became a reaper."

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
They make Mass Effect MMO, where you create a character and you get to fight Shepherd and "kill" him.

They did that shit to Revan so I don't see why they wouldn't do it. Bioware apparently thought that was a great idea.

still pretty bitter about The Old Republic..

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
I don't want anymore Mass Effect titles. Not only is the series pretty much butchered in its current state, but its done. If they tried to continue after ME3 I get the feeling they would have to force the story a bit. A prequel would be easier to do, but I wouldn't care that much about it anyways seeing as how everything goes boom in the end and what not.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Had a nice conversation with a friend of mine about this.

They can have an FPS sequel where your player fends off sex starved Krogan on the ruined surface of the Earth.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
*that thing we won't mention* aside

1. NO PREQUELS

2. NO COMANDER SHEPARD <- as in lets not do to comander shepard what they did to Revan

3. NO MMO's

4. the universe is big enough to craft an awsome story with another protagonist..preferable after the reaper invastion..there would be alot to deal with there, of coarse that depends on what happens with *that thing we won't mention*

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
A prequel would be fine... maybe. Frankly, I say that there doesn't NEED to be anymore Mass Effect. The story they wanted to tell has been told, so its pointless to try and make any more major installments set in that universe. Otherwise you get things like what Star Wars has become.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Hey hey..they should totally do what Halo did. MASS EFFECT 4, 5 AND 6..AW YEAH.

Oh oh...then totally make the entire first trilogy a dream sequence. I'm sure fans would LOVE it.

Shavon513

Apr 5, 2010
HAH! If they make a sequel, it will be one hell of a retcon and complete ignoring of the hideous ending.

And a game I will never spend $$ on. MY ME3 copy listed on Amazon for $5 hasn't sold and it's been up for 2 months now. Goes to show how awful the game was.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Nowhere, really. :(

Seriously, they invalidated a lot of their lore. Prequels will happen in abundance, but they will have lost most of their importance because none of it matters anymore. We know all about the past, the purpose of the Relays, the wars, the Protheans, the Reapers. Also, the end - Which further invalidates any point to prequels. Why bother if you're just going to be eradicated and have your civilisation completely destroyed in one go?

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
It's probably going to be spin-offs. EA/Bioware isn't just going to let this cash cow run dry.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I'd like a DA:O-style game where you get to pick a race and background, ideally a pre-ME1 time period. Maybe even before 2148, with none of those pesky humans.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
distortedreality said:
I'd be doing prequels, since there's an absolute shit ton of great lore there. I wouldn't even think of doing anything post ME3 for at least a few years.
and perhaps even branching out into different genres. what if they make a tactical rts , about victus's rise to fame/infamy? i'd be sold on that one (as long as relic does it, and someone in the squad is steve blum)
or really, just about any reasonable genre they branch into (aka, not racing/puzzle/platformer.... well maybe the last one, but anything thats like what they did to starwars way back when, making every kind of game hoping for moolah), i would like to see.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Kakulukia said:
I'd like a DA:O-style game where you get to pick a race and background, ideally a pre-ME1 time period. Maybe even before 2148, with none of those pesky humans.
thats doubtful, since humans feature in EVERYTHING, but it could be early on into human introduction to galactic society. just as long as it is not the focus of the game, i would be very interested.

but yeah seriously, humans feature in every goddamn thing, its like most people are, as one asari matriarch so tactfully put it, anthropocentric bags of dicks. (i mean this in jest of course, but that line was one of my favorites in the whole game)

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Vuliev said:
TheLizardKing said:
Mass Effect: The Prequel Trilogy. We all know how this turns out.
Hey, I'd think Bioware hasn't sunk to George Lucas levels yet.
on top of that, they made it very clear they were done with shepard. so no exploration of his tragic childhood story interrupted by red people and british accents and lazer swords. (though how they would implement that into the war hero backstory intrigues me)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Shavon513 said:
HAH! If they make a sequel, it will be one hell of a retcon and complete ignoring of the hideous ending.
Well, I'm sure they'll bring in Conrad again to make fun of it.